Noumena are Intelligible Objects, thus Illusory

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Iwannaplato

Re: Noumena are Intelligible Objects, thus Illusory

Post by Iwannaplato »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:28 am
Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:46 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:31 am I am a 'realist' in the sense of being an empirical-realist but that is ultimately subsumed within anti-realism, so ultimately I am not a philosophical realist.
Putting the citation marks around the word realist means you haven't made a useful assertion. I understand why you did it, but it's just games. You just made the hypocrisy or contradiction sound like you are taking some kind of sensible stand. What it boils down to however is...when convenient you can assert the existence of specific noumena, and yet it is always bad when other posters do in a discussion with you. When they do it, they are philosophical gnats or suffering from an evolutionary default (both terms you use to express your feelings without owning your feelings). When you do it, its fine.
When you ask
Why should I accept your interpretation of my philosophical position?
My interpretation, first of all, is that you do not have a consistant position. That it shifts depending on context. And this is clear when you allow yourself to infer things that cannot be directly experienced. And you did this in a typical, and decently argued, realist way. You did it as if we were two realists and I was questioning your realist conclusion about moral potentials.

And I notice what you do not respond to in my post.

You infer the existence of things not experienced. That's realism. Realist when convenient. Anti-realist when convenient.

Potentials are intelligible,
I have already explained, I inferred the existence of a moral potential based on Scientific anti-realism i.e. conditioned upon a human-based FSK.
If I am with 2 [anti-realist] then I cannot be 2 [realist].
The problem with this argument is that you drew a realist conclusion. That something potential and not possibly experienced now is real and exists. That's realism. Scientific anti-realism is a position on unobservables. And if something is a potential, it is not actual and cannot be observed. It may or may not be manifest later, in the same thing or place, but it is BY DEFINITION, not observable now.

And by the way mentioning scientific anti-realism doesn't help you in the least, because then talk about atoms in certain states is also a problem.

And if you want to repeat your realist argument about atoms and internal states in bodies, be clear that I am not disagreeing with that (very realist argument). I am pointing out what kind of argument it is. I am pointing out how your argument is perfectly aligned with arguments against your position on the Moon and many other things...arguments you dismissed.
Your above is strawmaning.

My position as empirical-realist & anti-philosophical_realist is the same at all times.
I can't be using the term empirical-realist & anti-philosophical_realist and attaching to all my views at all times, but use each appropriate the the context.
Whatever, I am ultimately an ANTI-philosophical_realist while being a relative empirical-realist.

The philosophical-realist claim is that of absolute mind-independence without compromise, i.e. to the extent the moon existed before there were humans and will exists even if humans are extinct.

As a relative empirical-realist I do claim the moon is relatively mind-independent [i.e. external to myself, mind, brain and body] and if there are no humans, there is no moon at all.
Nothing in my posts here focused on the issue of externalness. And you are misrepresenting the position you have had on the Moon. Not that it matters. Distraction.

And these phrases like 'absolute mind independence without compromise'.... Now it's not enough that you add in absolutely, you then add 'without compromise'.

You make up the term philosophical_realist, with the underline which is not used in English this way.
You don't actually integrate the points I make into your response.
You label it strawmanning, then assert things that aren't quite or are not relevent, which any interaction with the actual points made.

So, you assert in parallel to my post, rather than interacting with it.

This allows it to seem, to some hypothetical naive reader or perhaps to yourself, like you have responded. But you haven't.

It's games. I don't mean you are insincere. I don't know if you are aware of the avoidance, the regular avoidance, or not. But I am not going to play either way.

You were inferring not just that potential morals are external to you, but they exist despite being unobservables, something that cannot be experienced now precisely because it is what you label it as: potential. Precisely the same kind of argument you used to demonstrate they exist could be used by a realist to show that the Moon exists even when no one is looking at it. You directly went against scientific anti-realism. Precisely. Not just in the contraband use of inference to unobservables in general, but also in the specifics of your argument.

This is obvious. So, in your response to me you make assertions that are not really relevant and you don't mention points I've made.

Essentially you just reassert your position.

And I have see you happy to do this in post after post. Yes, this will lead to most people just ignoring your non-argument responses. But don't confuse this attrition for actually having made a response.

You allow yourself to infer, not just externalness, but things independent of perception: noumena. But realists get insulted because they do this.

I see this. And your not convincing anyone you are doing otherwise.

Skepdick does attack realists. And he does this in your threads. But don't confuse this with a defense of your hopping in an out of realism when it is convenient for you, while being unable to admit this.

Potentials are Intelligible Objects, thus Illusory
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:20 am Nothing in my posts here focused on the issue of externalness. And you are misrepresenting the position you have had on the Moon. Not that it matters. Distraction.

And these phrases like 'absolute mind independence without compromise'.... Now it's not enough that you add in absolutely, you then add 'without compromise'.

You make up the term philosophical_realist, with the underline which is not used in English this way.
You don't actually integrate the points I make into your response.
You label it strawmanning, then assert things that aren't quite or are not relevent, which any interaction with the actual points made.

So, you assert in parallel to my post, rather than interacting with it.

This allows it to seem, to some hypothetical naive reader or perhaps to yourself, like you have responded. But you haven't.

It's games. I don't mean you are insincere. I don't know if you are aware of the avoidance, the regular avoidance, or not. But I am not going to play either way.

You were inferring not just that potential morals are external to you, but they exist despite being unobservables, something that cannot be experienced now precisely because it is what you label it as: potential. Precisely the same kind of argument you used to demonstrate they exist could be used by a realist to show that the Moon exists even when no one is looking at it. You directly went against scientific anti-realism. Precisely. Not just in the contraband use of inference to unobservables in general, but also in the specifics of your argument.

This is obvious. So, in your response to me you make assertions that are not really relevant and you don't mention points I've made.

Essentially you just reassert your position.

And I have see you happy to do this in post after post. Yes, this will lead to most people just ignoring your non-argument responses. But don't confuse this attrition for actually having made a response.

You allow yourself to infer, not just externalness, but things independent of perception: noumena. But realists get insulted because they do this.

I see this. And your not convincing anyone you are doing otherwise.

Skepdick does attack realists. And he does this in your threads. But don't confuse this with a defense of your hopping in an out of realism when it is convenient for you, while being unable to admit this.

You are strawmaning my points, that is why I do not give much attention to 'your' points.

Note I am making the claims here and you are merely countering, but your countering is based on strawmaning without understanding my points.

To be more effective you should paraphrase my points i.e. what I intended, then await my confirmation you are on track before you counter my point. PH have done that often in our debates.
What you are doing at present is dumping your strawman of my views and expect me to accept them.

As I had stated, potentials in this case are verifiable and justifiable facts as conditioned upon the relevant human-based FSK.
I don't think you understand [not necessary agree with] my point at all to counter it, rather you create your strawman and insist that is what I believe.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Heck, they're not even objects.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Heck, they're not even objects. But they sure aren't sensed.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Well, looks like VA's transcendental idealism is mind-dependent and his empirical realism is mind-independent. He thinks those two can be combined without running into a contradiction.

So we get mind-dependent mind-independence. :)

Look, don't look everyone but no one, this but not this, makes a lot of sense it doesn't make sense.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:16 am .
Hey VA, I read somewhere that this is one wording of Kant's central claim, the "transcendental unity". I never made it that far in the CPR, I found his philosophy already not deep enough at the transcendental aesthetic, so I stopped there.
Kant wrote:We are conscious a priori of the thoroughgoing identity of ourselves with regard to all representations that can ever belong to our cognition, as a necessary condition of the possibility of all representations (since the latter represent something in me only insofar as they belong with all the others to one consciousness, hence they must at least be capable of being connected in it).
Kant wrote:The I think must be able to accompany all my representations; for otherwise something would be represented in me that could not be thought at all, which is as much as to say that the representation would either be impossible or else at least would be nothing for me.
Looks like Kant asserted this random nonsense but can you also prove it? Why can't our minds create unified, coherent representations without a conscious, present, anti-realistic "I think"?
No cognitions can occur in us, no connection and unity among them, without that unity of consciousness that precedes all data of the intuitions, and in relation to which all representation of objects is alone possible. This pure, original, unchanging consciousness I will now name transcendental apperception (A107; Guyer and Wood 1998, p. 232).
Veritas Aequitas

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:35 am Potentials are Intelligible Objects, thus Illusory

Heck, they're not even objects. But they sure aren't sensed.
Is gravity an object?
You cannot sense gravity directly until an apple falls on your head and therefrom you can use the Newtonian FSK to confirm and conclude its existence.
It is the same with the moral potential represented by its physical neural correlates.

The dogmatically grasping to the philosophical concept of "object" is primitive philosophy.
Veritas Aequitas

Atla wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:24 pm
Hey VA, I read somewhere that this is one wording of Kant's central claim, the "transcendental unity". I never made it that far in the CPR, I found his philosophy already not deep enough at the transcendental aesthetic, so I stopped there.
"Random nonsense" by Kant??
That is why I am so confident you're a philosophical gnat and ultracrepidarian with reference to Kantian philosophy.
Kant wrote:We are conscious a priori of the thoroughgoing identity of ourselves with regard to all representations that can ever belong to our cognition, as a necessary condition of the possibility of all representations (since the latter represent something in me only insofar as they belong with all the others to one consciousness, hence they must at least be capable of being connected in it).
Kant wrote:The I think must be able to accompany all my representations; for otherwise something would be represented in me that could not be thought at all, which is as much as to say that the representation would either be impossible or else at least would be nothing for me.
Looks like Kant asserted this random nonsense but can you also prove it? Why can't our minds create unified, coherent representations without a conscious, present, anti-realistic "I think"?
No cognitions can occur in us, no connection and unity among them, without that unity of consciousness that precedes all data of the intuitions, and in relation to which all representation of objects is alone possible. This pure, original, unchanging consciousness I will now name transcendental apperception (A107; Guyer and Wood 1998, p. 232).
Hey! philosophical gnat and ultracrepidarian; "Random nonsense" by Kant??

"The thoroughgoing identity of ourselves" "that unity of consciousness" as the transcendental apperception is the empirical-rational "I Think" to differentiate from the noumenal "I AM" [claimed as the soul by theists] which is illusory.
Veritas Aequitas

Atla wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:35 pm Well, looks like VA's transcendental idealism is mind-dependent and his empirical realism is mind-independent. He thinks those two can be combined without running into a contradiction.

Look, don't look everyone but no one, this but not this, makes a lot of sense it doesn't make sense.
Where did I mention "mind-dependent".

Read:
Not-Mind-Independent not equal to Mind-Dependent
viewtopic.php?t=40562

My Empirical-Realism is subsumed [a subset of] within Transcendental Idealism.
Transcendental Idealism is "Not-Mind-Independent" i.e. as a negative claim.

Btw, your position is;
Transcendental-Realism subsumed within Empirical-Idealism, both grounded on an illusion driven by the evolutionary default.

Why?
Philosophical Realism is Solipsistic.
viewtopic.php?t=40197
Atla

Post by Atla »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:06 am
That is why I am so confident you're a philosophical gnat and ultracrepidarian with reference to Kantian philosophy.

"The thoroughgoing identity of ourselves" "that unity of consciousness" as the transcendental apperception is the empirical-rational "I Think" to differentiate from the noumenal "I AM" [claimed as the soul by theists] which is illusory.
Woosh. I wasn't making any reference to the soul claimed by theists. We can agree that that's an even bigger nonsense.

Now for once in your life try to show that you aren't a philosophical gnat and try to prove that Kant was right.
Veritas Aequitas

Atla wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:10 am

Woosh. I wasn't making any reference to the soul claimed by theists. We can agree that that's an even bigger nonsense.

Now for once in your life try to show that you aren't a philosophical gnat and try to prove that Kant was right.
I am confident Kant was right after having done extensively reading of his CPR.
It is mammoth task to present the whole of argument demonstrating he was right.

The problem you are ignorant of the whole of Kant CPR and this incompetence is a hindrance to discuss the issue with you.
Suggest you read the whole of Kant's CPR, at least 20 preferable 50 times.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:19 am
Atla wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:35 pm Well, looks like VA's transcendental idealism is mind-dependent and his empirical realism is mind-independent. He thinks those two can be combined without running into a contradiction.

Read:
viewtopic.php?t=40562

Btw, your position is;
Transcendental-Realism subsumed within Empirical-Idealism, both grounded on an illusion driven by the evolutionary default.

Why?
viewtopic.php?t=40197
Subsuming A in B is shallow thinking, it means we still don't see the whole picture, my philosophy is past that
Atla

Post by Atla »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:14 am
Atla wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:10 am

I am confident Kant was right after having done extensively reading of his CPR.
It is mammoth task to present the whole of argument demonstrating he was right.

The problem you are ignorant of the whole of Kant CPR and this incompetence is a hindrance to discuss the issue with you.
Suggest you read the whole of Kant's CPR, at least 20 preferable 50 times.
So once you can't do it. Okay then I'll claim to (probably, but not certainly) refute Kant's centrail claim in a few sentences:

Cats have unified representations in their little minds without the self-aware "thinking I". So humans do to.

I tried fully giving up the "I" for a short time btw. Why didn't I walk into walls in that time?
Veritas Aequitas

Atla wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:16 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:19 am

Read:
viewtopic.php?t=40562

Btw, your position is;

Why?
viewtopic.php?t=40197
Subsuming A in B is shallow thinking, it means we still don't see the whole picture, my philosophy is past that
That is Kant's view.
You, a philosophical gnat and Ultracrepidarian [re Kant] trying to outsmart Kant [one of the greatest philosopher of all times]?
Veritas Aequitas

Atla wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:21 am So once you can't do it. Okay then I'll claim to (probably, but not certainly) refute Kant's centrail claim in a few sentences:
Cats have unified representations in their little minds without the self-aware "thinking I". So humans do to.
I tried fully giving up the "I" for a short time btw. Why didn't I walk into walls in that time?
You, a philosophical gnat and Ultracrepidarian [re Kant] trying to outsmart Kant [one of the greatest philosopher of all times]?