Gary Childress

Re: Watching the clock

Post by Gary Childress »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:16 pm
attofishpi wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:19 am
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:04 am

Such as?
Well I don't really know you Gary.

I decided to start painting art, wrote a cyberpunk novel and am now learning Unreal Engine with a view to create VR worlds..

The world has so much to offer with the world wide web..so much to learn.
I think this advice is pretty solid. Not easy for everyone to follow, but if you can, you should.

You should create for yourself a project. The project can be a matter of self expression, skill building, helping others, or a combination of those things. Find a project to lose yourself in.

I personally have too many projects in mind and not as much time as I'd like for them
As I indicated in the thread (I resign), my "project" is to dedicate whatever time I have left in this world to find Truth, in the name of humanity and science. I may as well stick to my guns on that as far as I can tell.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:53 pm
attofishpi wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:19 am

Well I don't really know you Gary.

I decided to start painting art, wrote a cyberpunk novel and am now learning Unreal Engine with a view to create VR worlds..

The world has so much to offer with the world wide web..so much to learn.
I think this advice is pretty solid. Not easy for everyone to follow, but if you can, you should.

You should create for yourself a project. The project can be a matter of self expression, skill building, helping others, or a combination of those things. Find a project to lose yourself in.

I personally have too many projects in mind and not as much time as I'd like for them
As I indicated in the thread (I resign), my "project" is to dedicate whatever time I have left in this world to find Truth, in the name of humanity and science. I may as well stick to my guns on that as far as I can tell.
Hell yeah, but make sure to make it fun while you're at it.

Do research, organize your notes, and make a podcast brother.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:54 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:53 pm

Hell yeah, but make sure to make it fun while you're at it.

Do research, organize your notes, and make a podcast brother.
"Fun" at this point is not the reason for my quest. However, if it turns out to give my life purpose and meaning and there's "fun" in that, then I'll be happy, I suppose.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"it's the 20th century... whatever u gotta do to have fun, get on with it. so long as it doesn't cause a murder." - FZ (paraphrasing)
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

promethean75 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:13 pm "it's the 20th century... whatever u gotta do to have fun, get on with it. so long as it doesn't cause a murder." - FZ (paraphrasing)
Well, I guess that's fair to say too. I don't know. Maybe when I find the Truth, I'll be able to figure out if that statement is true or not also. At this point, I couldn't say one way or the other.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Walker

Post by Walker »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:57 pm
"Fun" at this point is not the reason for my quest. However, if it turns out to give my life purpose and meaning and there's "fun" in that, then I'll be happy, I suppose.
Well, if you're seeking wisdom then you'll need to make friends with sadness.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Walker wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:39 pm
How do you know?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:03 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:05 am
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:47 am Really? I mean, it seems like a fair topic to debate to me.
Of course. But in the Lounge - rather than in general philosophy, say - in a thread called ¨Watching the clock' - which generally means you are waiting for something you don't like to end, in combination with other threads you've started - I resign for example, where you bring up your depression and what does it mean to resign from life, at least potentially - some quotes from that thread...
This IS the Louge! Therefore I'm not sure what the point of your suggestion is. Are you saying I need to move this to "General Philosophy" then? I'm confused. Can we not debate things in the Lounge? If that's the case, then please excuse me for my error.
No, I am not telling you what you should to or that you're breaking rules. I am pointing out how your posts, given where they were posted and what you said in them did not seem like a person looking for a debate on philosophical ideas. And if you look at most of posts in The Lounge they are coming here for chit chat or person opinions stuff. You just responded to one piece of what I wrote to you here. Imentioned other posts and thread, but hey, I'll drop it here. If you can't see how your posts might have led someone to be very concerned about you in that way, that's OK. You say you're not planning to harm yourself. Great!
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

"What are you doing??!!" screamed Gina, snatching the ball of scrunched up paper from Kate. "Relax will ya! It's just a piece if paper!" "Look," Kate pried the paper back from Gina's exquisitely painted hands, "it's got nothing written on it! See? It's not one of yer precious notes, the ones you refer to when you're working on those mathematical problems of yours. I ain't stupid ya know!" Gina gave out a loud sigh of relief and looked apologetically at Kate. Kate smiled back. Both exited the house, they had a lot to do that day.

A few moments later ...

"Charlie, did you see where they threw the paper?" asked Jerry. "Yep, I didn't blink for 10 whole minutes, can you believe that? It's lying on the kitchen table, next to the knives. Yeah, you got it! Get out of there before anyone sees you! Next stop Paris," said Jerry.

In Paris ...

"Do you have it?" the man asked. "Where's our money?" Jerry replied. A silent exchange - $10,000,000 for a piece of scrunched up paper with nothing written on it. Charlie couldn't help it, "$10,000,000 for junk!?" The man didn't say anything. "So, we keep an eye on Gina?" Jerry inquired. "No, not Gina, Kate." the man corrected.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:17 am
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:36 am What should a person do if they have nothing more to live for? What would you do if you had nothing left to live for?
Find something worth living for.
Such as?
That's a beautiful painting you posted. Learn to paint. Make art.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:20 am
attofishpi wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:17 am

Find something worth living for.
Such as?
That's a beautiful painting you posted. Learn to paint. Make art.
The landfills and dumpsters of the world are full of "art". I'd rather produce a little less waste, or if it's unavoidable, then at least hopefully it's something biodegradable.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:40 pm
How do you know?
Because sadness is inevitably but wisdom is not.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Walker wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:51 pm
How do you know?
When you demonstrate wisdom, I'll start paying attention to your counsel. So far I'm still waiting. But you'll be happy to know, I have hopes for you.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:55 pm

How do you know?
When you demonstrate wisdom, I'll start paying attention to your counsel. So far I'm still waiting. But you'll be happy to know, I have hopes for you.
As much as you piss me off sometimes Gary, the human race actually needs critical thinkers like you--desperately. I would be very ticked off if you signed off.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:09 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:55 pm
As much as you piss me off sometimes Gary, the human race actually needs critical thinkers like you--desperately. I would be very ticked off if you signed off.
Paradoxically enough, you're one of the few people on this forum that I'm actually very flattered to hear that from. Most people will just say something like that at the drop of a hat just to be "nice". At least a person knows where they stand with you and why. It's definitely more authentic.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯