the queen is dead

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: the queen is dead

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Well I adore royal funerals but I just hope they don't go all woke with the music. Most of the English composers are horrible, and black gospel choirs would be unbearable. Philip obviously had really good taste in music, going by his funeral, but then again he didn't have any time for wokism. I'm guessing the royals will go all PC with this funeral, to keep all those moronic twitter fuckheads happy.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:30 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:42 pm
iambiguous wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:53 pm You tell us what we should all be thinking and feeling now.
She was grand and regal. Hers was a hard job to do well, and she held up her end, I would estimate.

Whether others should feel the same, I'm not able to say.

What I'm thinking is, "Is there any chance she settled the succession by skipping at least one generation?"

I don't suppose such a thing is ever done, though...and she was one for duty.
Why on earth would she do that? Because people think that soppy woke twat William is 'better looking'? :lol:
No, because Charles is...Charles.

One needs no more explanation that that, I would think.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:36 pm Well I adore royal funerals but I just hope they don't go all woke with the music. Most of the English composers are horrible, and black gospel choirs would be unbearable. Philip obviously had really good taste in music, going by his funeral, but then again he didn't have any time for wokism. I'm guessing the royals will go all PC with this funeral, to keep all those moronic twitter fuckheads happy.
What's "woke music"? :?
vegetariantaxidermy

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:12 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:36 pm Well I adore royal funerals but I just hope they don't go all woke with the music. Most of the English composers are horrible, and black gospel choirs would be unbearable. Philip obviously had really good taste in music, going by his funeral, but then again he didn't have any time for wokism. I'm guessing the royals will go all PC with this funeral, to keep all those moronic twitter fuckheads happy.
Chosen not for its beauty but for political, virtue-signalling reasons. Philip had Beethoven at his funeral. According to wokedom Beethoven is 'too white and male' and should be 'cancelled' (and yes, that's from an actual article).
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

meh
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:18 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:12 am
Chosen not for its beauty but for political, virtue-signalling reasons. Philip had Beethoven at his funeral. According to wokedom Beethoven is 'too white and male' and should be 'cancelled' (and yes, that's from an actual article).
Well, if you'll forgive my saying so, I haven't found the Woking Dead to be particularly aesthetically sophisticated. So if not a dead, white male, then what?

Rap? Zydeco? Tibetan nose flute?
vegetariantaxidermy

Perhaps. Whatever is considered 'politically safe' at any given time. I haven't heard of the Tibetan nose flute :lol:
Wokies will go for anything that's fashionable. They can't cope with anything that doesn't involve buzzwords (hint: 'diversity', 'inclusiveness'). Perhaps they will have a black transgendered Down syndrome playing the Tibetan nose flute?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:45 am Perhaps. Whatever is considered 'politically safe' at any given time. I haven't heard of the Tibetan nose flute :lol:
Wokies will go for anything that's fashionable. They can't cope with anything that doesn't involve buzzwords (hint: 'diversity', 'inclusiveness'). Perhaps they will have a black transgendered Down syndrome playing the Tibetan nose flute?
Now THAT I will tune in to see.

But Charles poncing down the aisle to Disney's "Let It Go," I will not.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"According to wokedom Beethoven is 'too white and male' and should be 'cancelled' (and yes, that's from an actual article)."

that's why it needs to be a boy band with one Caucasian, one Hispanic, one Asian, one African American, and one Arab. Among the members there must be one hermaphrodite, one bisexual and one transgender who's identities may remain confidential.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

promethean75 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:52 am "According to wokedom Beethoven is 'too white and male' and should be 'cancelled' (and yes, that's from an actual article)."

that's why it needs to be a boy band with one Caucasian, one Hispanic, one Asian, one African American, and one Arab. Among the members there must be one hermaphrodite, one bisexual and one transgender who's identities may remain confidential.
What are their pronouns?
vegetariantaxidermy

henry quirk wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:29 ammeh
You know you were weeping into your fruitloops when you heard it..
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

phyllo wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:24 pm
iambiguous wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:19 pm
phyllo wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:11 pm There can be only one ... reaction.
Thanks.

Just when I thought I was back at ILP, you've managed come through for me.

Sure, let's go there...

What one and only one reaction can there be?

And, just to assure a more precarious exchange, let's assume that we both possess at least some measure of free will.

You more than me of course.
Again you misunderstand.
Thanks.

You know, coming from you.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:42 pm
iambiguous wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:53 pm You tell us what we should all be thinking and feeling now.
She was grand and regal. Hers was a hard job to do well, and she held up her end, I would estimate.

Whether others should feel the same, I'm not able to say.
Okay, so you are agreeing that your assessment of her is just your own personal opinion. That others may have completely different or negative opinions of her. That there is no intellectual or moral foundation that we can turn to -- religious or secular -- in order to determine how rational and virtuous men and women ought to react to her. Either in regard to her life or her death.

Kant and others like him are irrelevant here.

That, in other words, for all practical purposes, you're right from your side and they're right from theirs.

Glad to see you're finally coming around to seeing these things as I do.

On the other hand, we still need to work on the part where you come to recognize that your reaction to her life and death is rooted existentially in dasein...and not in, say, "How would Jesus react?"
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

iambiguous wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:12 am
phyllo wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:24 pm
iambiguous wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:19 pm

Thanks.

Just when I thought I was back at ILP, you've managed come through for me.

Sure, let's go there...

What one and only one reaction can there be?

And, just to assure a more precarious exchange, let's assume that we both possess at least some measure of free will.

You more than me of course.
Again you misunderstand.
Thanks.

You know, coming from you.
You know, since you approach everything from one narrow direction, I gave you a gift. You're just begging for someone to claim that there is only one reaction so that you can jump on him/her. You're welcome.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

promethean75 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:52 am "According to wokedom Beethoven is 'too white and male' and should be 'cancelled' (and yes, that's from an actual article)."

Note to phoneutria:

In the wit department, can you top this?