WHY DO YOU THINK WE ARE HERE? WHY DO WE EXIST?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

gaffo

Re: WHY DO YOU THINK WE ARE HERE? WHY DO WE EXIST?

Post by gaffo »

Davyboi wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:22 am Gaffo, I find that hard to believe.
such a mindset as opposite of programming (evolution).

Davyboi wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:22 am There is always a reason, cause and effect..

that is Empricism(sp) - scientific method.

there is no meaning of life in that method.
Davyboi wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:22 am maybe you are right we just are!
the last 40 yrs or so i've hoped im wrong, but see no argument to show me i am in this regard.
Davyboi wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:22 am if that is so then why do we as a species seek answers?
evolutionary programming.

otherwise we would not "Reason" there is a reason, and prob just dye out.

and not be here to discuss your inquery!
Davyboi wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:22 am If we just exist because we are..then why do we have a concept of time? An urge to comprehend the world around us?
same as above. our mindset is a product of our evolution!

there may be no reason to Be! - but such a mindset is counter to evolution - the strive to live (and its assumed reason for living).
Last edited by gaffo on Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Davyboi wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:31 am Gaffo, I agree with you we are a product of evolution, so why did evolution give us the reasoning to seek our being?
Reason - our version of it - gave us an advantage toward survival in the savanna.

Evolution gave us "Reason" - our striving for a reason why we live is a product of our evolution (the assumption there is a reason is a false assumption!- and a product of our evolutionary acquiring of reason itself).
Davyboi wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:31 am If we exist, and evolution evolved us to this state of consciousness, surely there must be a reason why?

why must there be a reason why we ARE?

???
Davyboi wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:31 am If there was no reason, then there would be no reason for evolution to send us down this path?
to quote the alien Lenard Nimoy in The Body Snatchers..........."the function of life is survival"

i.e. Evolution.

there may be no other reason (I do not think there is myself).

thanks for reply!
henry quirk

"...and I'm all out of bubble gum..."

Post by henry quirk »

HA!

Exactly.

#

"Lol! Which is first? The bubble gum chewing or the kicking arse?"

Well, a body intends to chew first then make with the ass-kickin'. In the absence of bubblegum, a body just gets on with it.

#

"So do you think that is an evolution thing? The ability to chew gum and kick arse? Or just a hobby? Lol, ?????"

Oh yeah, to 'chew & kick' is a sure sign of >insert evo-babble< AND it's a fine hobby.
Davyboi

Post by Davyboi »

I am new to this! And I'll be truthful you have more information reference then I have! Your topics make me think, question! But I also have my own views...I might be wrong, but my views are just as valid as yours mate! So please do me a favour and instead of pulling rank, saying you have 40 years experience etc. Have the decency to help me understand and form my own opinion! This forum is full of people, who like to tell you what is the right way, we have all joined this forum for the same reason to learn..so please climb down from your soapbox and teach what you know to us newcomers please!!!
Davyboi

Post by Davyboi »

Henry! Lol...there is nothing wrong with chewing gum...that is action that involves yourself. Doesn't
affect anyone else. but kicking arse is a different kettle of fish, lol. It depends who's arse your trying to kick! He who kickth must be careful not to be kicked! Lol. Or as we say in Liverpool, if you gonna kick, make sure you shoot and score!
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Davyboi wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:11 am I am new to this! And I'll be truthful you have more information reference then I have! Your topics make me think, question! But I also have my own views...I might be wrong, but my views are just as valid as yours mate! So please do me a favour and instead of pulling rank, saying you have 40 years experience etc. Have the decency to help me understand and form my own opinion! This forum is full of people, who like to tell you what is the right way, we have all joined this forum for the same reason to learn..so please climb down from your soapbox and teach what you know to us newcomers please!!!
Just a thought here... Do you ever consider quoting a post to anchor your reply to something?
Davyboi

Post by Davyboi »

Commonsense...what do you mean?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Davyboi wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:37 am Commonsense...what do you mean?
When you respond to something another member has written, consider using the quotation mark at the upper right edge of that person’s post. That way it is easier to read your words in the context you intend.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

considers this. evolution has created the most successful life form on earth 2 billion yrs ago.

Germs.

they do not ponder the meaning of their existence.

yet we do.

I posit the germs rule this world and evolution's top dog and we are a footnote - with or without our self centered pondering about why we are and what it means.

of course it means nothing - outside of "We live" right now - until we die, and the germs consume our corpse.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Davyboi wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:11 am I am new to this! And I'll be truthful you have more information reference then I have! Your topics make me think, question! But I also have my own views...I might be wrong, but my views are just as valid as yours mate! So please do me a favour and instead of pulling rank, saying you have 40 years experience etc. Have the decency to help me understand and form my own opinion! This forum is full of people, who like to tell you what is the right way, we have all joined this forum for the same reason to learn..so please climb down from your soapbox and teach what you know to us newcomers please!!!
soapboxes are overrated.

welcome to the forum Sir. i'm quasi newbie myself.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

gaffo wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:16 am considers this. evolution has created the most successful life form on earth 2 billion yrs ago.

Germs.

I posit the germs rule this world and evolution's top dog and we are a footnote - with or without our self centered pondering about why we are and what it means.

of course it means nothing - outside of "We live" right now - until we die, and the germs consume our corpse.
If not cockroaches, virus, bacteria or fungus may well be the lifeform that outlives humans. But for now, they are not in charge. With few exceptions, each can be destroyed by humans.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

I know this is a basic question! But why our we here, most people go through there lives not questioning the reason why? People like us have ideas, views an urge to understand what this is all about? Do you think we are ever going to find the answer?
Since we are in a Philosophical Forum, note this from Russell;
Thus, to sum up our discussion of the value of philosophy;
Philosophy is to be studied, not for the sake of any definite answers to its questions since no definite answers can, as a rule, be known to be true, but rather for the sake of the questions themselves;
because these questions enlarge our conception of what is possible, enrich our intellectual imagination and diminish the dogmatic assurance which closes the mind against speculation; but above all because, through the greatness of the universe which philosophy contemplates, the mind also is rendered great, and becomes capable of that union with the universe which constitutes its highest good.
In life what we need is not any final answer as in theological teleology, i.e. to please god so as to live towards a final destination of a place in heaven.

Thus whatever the answer arrived at to the OP it must be accompanied by another question.

To understand the meaning of life, it is obvious we have to study life itself, i.e. evolution and our own experience from the external outside to inside the brain.

I note the most effective basic model [abstracted from peak performers] to understand the meaning of life in line with evolution is Maslow's hierarchy of Needs {MHN}.

When one live [Flow*] progressively along with the MHN optimally one is likely to be in tune with the central core of the purpose of life.
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

The MHN can be improved with refined-tuning by incorporating more advance knowledge from various fields.
Davyboi

Post by Davyboi »

commonsense wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:07 am
Davyboi wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:37 am Commonsense...what do you mean?
When you respond to something another member has written, consider using the quotation mark at the upper right edge of that person’s post. That way it is easier to read your words in the context you intend.
Thanks, got it. Nice one
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Why are we here? Because mommy and daddy love each other and <censored content>. 9 months later we arrive.
Davyboi

Post by Davyboi »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:20 am
I know this is a basic question! But why our we here, most people go through there lives not questioning the reason why? People like us have ideas, views an urge to understand what this is all about? Do you think we are ever going to find the answer?
Since we are in a Philosophical Forum, note this from Russell;
Thus, to sum up our discussion of the value of philosophy;
Philosophy is to be studied, not for the sake of any definite answers to its questions since no definite answers can, as a rule, be known to be true, but rather for the sake of the questions themselves;
because these questions enlarge our conception of what is possible, enrich our intellectual imagination and diminish the dogmatic assurance which closes the mind against speculation; but above all because, through the greatness of the universe which philosophy contemplates, the mind also is rendered great, and becomes capable of that union with the universe which constitutes its highest good.
In life what we need is not any final answer as in theological teleology, i.e. to please god so as to live towards a final destination of a place in heaven.

Thus whatever the answer arrived at to the OP it must be accompanied by another question.

To understand the meaning of life, it is obvious we have to study life itself, i.e. evolution and our own experience from the external outside to inside the brain.

I note the most effective basic model [abstracted from peak performers] to understand the meaning of life in line with evolution is Maslow's hierarchy of Needs {MHN}.

When one live [Flow*] progressively along with the MHN optimally one is likely to be in tune with the central core of the purpose of life.
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

The MHN can be improved with refined-tuning by incorporating more advance knowledge from various fields.
Thank you for your reply, isn't Maslow more psychology? The way we act, respond to things?