Re: What brightens your day?

Post by marjoram_blues »

Arising_uk wrote:Sunshine.
8)
Green

Post by Green »

First beer of the evening.
Shaking a pack of cigarettes I knew were empty, and hearing one rattle around.
Call out of the blue from my mother asking me to come over for dinner.
Instead of turning on the heating system in home, I have a little floor heater that feels amazing on my feet or back. SO good!
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

Watching Classic Arts Showcase either on TV or online with my first cup of coffee.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

!!! BULLSHIT !!!

'Stop Forwarding that Crap to me'.
From: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... nd-sayings

If you’re offended by swearing, apologies, because I’m about to use the word bullshit quite a lot. It’s not my fault. It’s because researchers who recently published a paper about the intelligence of people who believe in the wisdom of inspirational quotes were awfully fond of the word bullshit. It appears in the title, On the Reception and Detection of Pseudo-profound Bullshit; it’s there five times in the abstract alone; and the first keyword is – well, you can probably guess...

The researchers were extremely keen to know whether certain people were more likely to believe in pseudo-profound statements, and whether that had anything to do with intelligence. You know the kind of thing: phrases such as “You can’t start on the next chapter of your life if you keep rereading the last one” or “If opportunity doesn’t knock, build a door.”...

Despite the 200-odd mentions of bullshit, the authors of the paper make some interesting points. Why do some of us believe more readily? Is it a lack of intelligence, an inherent personality trait, or are we more prepared to believe in seemingly profound statements when we’re more in need of answers?...

“Bullshit may be more pervasive than ever before,” say the researchers in their introduction. How true. In fact, I think I’ll stick that quote on a picture of a sunset.''
- Rosie Ifould
Love the BLT comments. From 'Goodnight_Vienna' :
Weird Al Yankovic nails it in Stop forwarding that crap to me.

"...No it isn't okay
if you brighten my day
with some cut and pasted
hackneyed Hallmark poetry..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCSA7kKNu2Y
Very clever song, but it lasts 5.42 ( incl. 22 secs of ads at start...Grrr )
Actually, I must admit I kinda like sayings stuck on a postcard view. But don't collect them. Perhaps I should, if they would inspire a sunny soul?
So, please go ahead 'brighten my day' - forward away, if you will, your favourite crap or non-crap Philosophical Quote, I won't mind :wink:
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Green wrote:First beer of the evening.
Shaking a pack of cigarettes I knew were empty, and hearing one rattle around.
Call out of the blue from my mother asking me to come over for dinner.
Instead of turning on the heating system in home, I have a little floor heater that feels amazing on my feet or back. SO good!
Hi Green, how green are you?
First beer - out of how many?
How many fags a day?
Love 'out of the blue' surprises...but...hate it when people knock at my door. I've been known to hide. Really.
Must have my central heating on. It's an all over good. Helps whole body relax and the walls like it too. Trying to figure out how a little floor heater helps your back. As for feet, nothing quite like a pair of thermals or fluffy pinks :wink:
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

tbieter wrote:Watching Classic Arts Showcase either on TV or online with my first cup of coffee.
Sounds like a brill start to the day. Part of a routine, tbieter ? Any surprises...which make you smile?
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

A thought-provoking question from PhilX :shock:
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 10.15.18.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 10.15.18.png (121 KiB) Viewed 4225 times
My Bitch.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
My Bitch.
Is that one of your magnificent sculptures ? How beautiful, both.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

marjoram_blues wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
My Bitch.
Yeah, it's my first large scale sculpture. It's made from a core of polystyrenes which is carved with a hot wire, then coated in Jesmonite - a type of resin/plaster.

Thanks for the compliment.

My Dog is called "Boffy". When we rescued her from the animal sanctuary (yes people abandon such beautiful animals) she was so frantic and untrained that I called her "Bag of Ferrets", hence B.O.F. or Boffy the Boffin.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
marjoram_blues wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
My Bitch.
Yeah, it's my first large scale sculpture. It's made from a core of polystyrenes which is carved with a hot wire, then coated in Jesmonite - a type of resin/plaster.

Thanks for the compliment.

My Dog is called "Boffy". When we rescued her from the animal sanctuary (yes people abandon such beautiful animals) she was so frantic and untrained that I called her "Bag of Ferrets", hence B.O.F. or Boffy the Boffin.
I don't compliment you often enough Hobbsy :)
Here's another one, if you can bear it...

Boffy - now looks the picture of contentment. Can't imagine that would have been an easy transformation. It fair tickles the warmth of my heart.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

marjoram_blues wrote: Boffy - now looks the picture of contentment. Can't imagine that would have been an easy transformation. It fair tickles the warmth of my heart.
She is wonderful.
Best thing we ever did; getting her.
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

marjoram_blues wrote:
Arising_uk wrote:Sunshine.
8)
Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AckhnLpwceM

"Sunshine"

Ain't no way to explain or say
How painful the hangover was today
In front of the toilet, hands and knees
Trying to breathe in between the dry heaves
My baby made me some coffee
Afraid that if I drink some it's probably coming right back out me
Couple of advil, relax and chill
At a standstill with how bad I feel
I think I need to smell fresh air
So I stepped out the back door and fell down the stairs
The sunlight hit me dead in the eye
Like it's mad I gave half the day to last night
My bad sight made me trip on my ass right into that patch of grass like that's life
All of a sudden, I realize something
The weather is amazing, even the birds are bumpin
Stood up and took a look and a breath
And there's that bike that I forgot that I possessed
Never really seen exercise as friendly
But I thing something's telling me to ride that ten speed
The brakes are broken, it's alright
The tires got air and the chain seems tight
Hopped on and felt the summertime,
It reminds me of one of them Musab lines like

Sunshine, sunshine, it's fine
I feel it in my skin, warming up my mind,
Sometimes you gotta give in to win,
I love the days when it shines, whoa let it shine

If I could I would keep this feeling in a plastic jar
Bust it out whenever someone's actin hard
Settle down, barbeque in the backyard
The kids get treats and old folks get classic cars
Every day that gets to pass is a success
Every woman looks better in a sun dress
The sunshine's an excuse to shoot hoops, get juice
Show improve their moves and let loose
I hear voices, I see smiles to match em
Good times and you can feel it in the fashion
Even though the heat cooks up the action
The streets still got butterflies
Enough kids to catch 'em
Ridin my bike around these lakes man
Feelin like I finally figured out my escape plan
Take it all and the day started off all wrong
Somehow now that hangover is all gone
Ain't nothing like the sound of the leaves
When the breeze penetrates these southside trees
Leanin' up against one, watchin the vibe
Forgettin' all about the stress, thanking god I'm alive
It's so simple, I had to keep the song simple
When I get home I'm gonna open all the windows
Feelin all right, stopped at a stop sign
A car pulled up, bumpin Fresh Prince's Summertime
Last edited by artisticsolution on Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

marjoram_blues wrote:!!! BULLSHIT !!!

'Stop Forwarding that Crap to me'.
From: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... nd-sayings

If you’re offended by swearing, apologies, because I’m about to use the word bullshit quite a lot. It’s not my fault. It’s because researchers who recently published a paper about the intelligence of people who believe in the wisdom of inspirational quotes were awfully fond of the word bullshit. It appears in the title, On the Reception and Detection of Pseudo-profound Bullshit; it’s there five times in the abstract alone; and the first keyword is – well, you can probably guess...

The researchers were extremely keen to know whether certain people were more likely to believe in pseudo-profound statements, and whether that had anything to do with intelligence. You know the kind of thing: phrases such as “You can’t start on the next chapter of your life if you keep rereading the last one” or “If opportunity doesn’t knock, build a door.”...

Despite the 200-odd mentions of bullshit, the authors of the paper make some interesting points. Why do some of us believe more readily? Is it a lack of intelligence, an inherent personality trait, or are we more prepared to believe in seemingly profound statements when we’re more in need of answers?...

“Bullshit may be more pervasive than ever before,” say the researchers in their introduction. How true. In fact, I think I’ll stick that quote on a picture of a sunset.''
- Rosie Ifould
Love the BLT comments. From 'Goodnight_Vienna' :
Weird Al Yankovic nails it in Stop forwarding that crap to me.

"...No it isn't okay
if you brighten my day
with some cut and pasted
hackneyed Hallmark poetry..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCSA7kKNu2Y
Very clever song, but it lasts 5.42 ( incl. 22 secs of ads at start...Grrr )
Actually, I must admit I kinda like sayings stuck on a postcard view. But don't collect them. Perhaps I should, if they would inspire a sunny soul?
So, please go ahead 'brighten my day' - forward away, if you will, your favourite crap or non-crap Philosophical Quote, I won't mind :wink:
I'm not really into those inspirational quotes, but I always take a peak cause some of them make me laugh or cry (Yes, sometimes I can get all sentimental and weepy, dork that I am)...you never know what you're going to get.

What really ticks me off though, are the ones that are like a chain letter that warn if you don't send to 10 people harm will befall you. I think the general tone of those is the worst part of humanity. It's the underlying hate for others disguised as a good luck charm, imo. It's the same type of thing as when people will take a rejoice celebration and tarnish it with negativity. For example. Halloween was deemed as a holiday for satan by some Christians I know. The thing that pisses me off is, they take a holiday, which is fun for children especially, and attach some of their adult concepts to the innocent fun. It's not Halloween that was evil...it was the freakin people whose thoughts immediately went to an evil place. But then, in the next breath, they are ready to deport infants born here because their parents weren't born here. Do they fail to see the evil there? If indeed there is such a thing as evil. I am not prone to believe in spooks.

Oh yeah, The title of this thread is , "What brightens your day" ....nevermind. :) :lol:
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

...and breathe,2,3....

There's nothing quite like an AS rant to make my day :wink: