Are British film stars charming?

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Hobbes' Choice

Re: Are British film stars charming?

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:. And only a retard would dispute that English actors are second to none when it comes to expressing subtle and realistic emotion.
You are dead to me.
I'm not taking any ideas from a twat that does not know the Wales and Scotland are part of Britain.

Roger Moore.
LOL
Last edited by Hobbes' Choice on Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

In response to VT:

"http://whatculture.com/film/6-famous-br ... ccents.php"

Want more examples, moron?

PhilX
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:In response to VT:

PhilX
See? You can generalise (in general). English actors for the most part can't do an American accent. Hugh Laurie is one exception. Americans can't do English accents either. You sound ridiculous when you try.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

PhilX
I have to point out that Sean Connery was doing a Russian accent in the film they mention, not an American one.

Otherwise I pretty much agree. But in my experience most Americans are so TV & film oriented that many do not have a big appreciation of the varieties of accents that exist in the USA - so tend not to notice. I've know a couple of Americans that think Kelsey Grammar was English, and are surprised to find that Bostonians are not all British. Worse still they cannot distinguish between Aussies and Brits.

Although its hard to compare it is true to say that in the British Isles there are far more accent variations than in all of English-speaking North America. Each town and region can still be distinguished though with modern media these differences are fading. Just to give you an idea, until 20 years ago some shepherds in the North were still counting their sheep in a Norse dialect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScELaXMCVis

Have a listen.

All this tends to make Brits more accent aware.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:

PhilX
I have to point out that Sean Connery was doing a Russian accent in the film they mention, not an American one.

Otherwise I pretty much agree. But in my experience most Americans are so TV & film oriented that many do not have a big appreciation of the varieties of accents that exist in the USA - so tend not to notice. I've know a couple of Americans that think Kelsey Grammar was English, and are surprised to find that Bostonians are not all British. Worse still they cannot distinguish between Aussies and Brits.

Although its hard to compare it is true to say that in the British Isles there are far more accent variations than in all of English-speaking North America. Each town and region can still be distinguished though with modern media these differences are fading. Just to give you an idea, until 20 years ago some shepherds in the North were still counting their sheep in a Norse dialect.

Have a listen.

Many of the old American movie stars sounded quite English. I bet a lot of Americans think Katherine Hepburn was English too. Just listen to Jackie Kennedy speak. It's difficult to pinpoint her country at all.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:

PhilX

Have a listen.

Many of the old American movie stars sounded quite English. I bet a lot of Americans think Katherine Hepburn was English too. Just listen to Jackie Kennedy speak. It's difficult to pinpoint her country at all.
In fact, before it formed, the US was 13 British colonies.

PhilX
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:Some notable examples would be Sean Connery, Patrick MacNee, Ronald Colman, David Niven to name a few.

PhilX
Sean Connery is Scottish, and not particularly charming I've heard. When you yanks say 'British' what exactly do you mean? Would you call a Welsh person British?
I know for sure that Scotland was united with England for over 200 years so on that basis I would regard them as being British (that would make Sean Connery in his James Bond role British and I think the character is regarded as being British).

I would leave it up to the user as to who's British and who isn't.

PhilX
British is from the people, Britons. They were Brythonic Celts (Welsh, Cornish, Breton). Scots were Goidelic Celts (as were the Irish and Manx). Angles, Jutes and Saxons were neither.
Vor

Post by Vor »

Clive Owen

Colin Firth

Daniel Day Lewis

Eddie Redmayne

The are exceedingly charming when interviewed and physically gorgeous, all of them in their own way.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

In fact, before it formed, the US was 13 British colonies.

PhilX
The typical American accent was formed from the West Country accent, from around the Maritime towns of Plymouth and Portsmouth, I understand.
From that beginning 300+ years ago the accent spread. The variation comes from isolation in certain areas, and is being lost through mass media.
In the UK, the influences and roots are far too numerous to count, and of longer history.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Dalek Prime wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sean Connery is Scottish, and not particularly charming I've heard. When you yanks say 'British' what exactly do you mean? Would you call a Welsh person British?
I know for sure that Scotland was united with England for over 200 years so on that basis I would regard them as being British (that would make Sean Connery in his James Bond role British and I think the character is regarded as being British).

I would leave it up to the user as to who's British and who isn't.

PhilX
British is from the people, Britons. They were Brythonic Celts (Welsh, Cornish, Breton). Scots were Goidelic Celts (as were the Irish and Manx). Angles, Jutes and Saxons were neither.
You are confusing words with actuality.
"British" was from the Goddess Pritani, coined by Romans to lump together all the tribes of these islands. It did not refer to a "people". None of the tribes were "Celts" at that time, as the word is unknown to their languages, and they were never referred to as "Celt" until the 17thC by historians who did not know shite from shinola.
None of the so-called "Celts" ever used the term British to describe themselves. British was a term that refers to the LAND, not originally the people. British was used to describe the unification of the United Kingdom and then became attached to the people of the islands.
90% of what you learned in School is simplified shite.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Vor wrote:Clive Owen

Colin Firth

Daniel Day Lewis

Eddie Redmayne

The are exceedingly charming when interviewed and physically gorgeous, all of them in their own way.
D D Lewis is Irish - just saying.
Vor

Post by Vor »

No darls.

Daniel Day-Lewis was born on April 29, 1957, in London, England. He studied acting at the Bristol Old Vic and made his film debut in Sunday, Bloody Sunday. He was acclaimed for his role in My Beautiful Laundrette, and won an Oscar for My Left Foot. Day-Lewis married Rebecca Miller in 1996, and they have two sons. He also has a third child from a previous relationship.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Vor wrote:No darls.

Daniel Day-Lewis was born on April 29, 1957, in London, England. He studied acting at the Bristol Old Vic and made his film debut in Sunday, Bloody Sunday. He was acclaimed for his role in My Beautiful Laundrette, and won an Oscar for My Left Foot. Day-Lewis married Rebecca Miller in 1996, and they have two sons. He also has a third child from a previous relationship.
Oh!
Vor

Post by Vor »

His father was born in Ireland, (England's poet laureate), perhaps that is why you may have assumed he was Irish.

D D L does hold two passports, British and Irish.

Irrespective of all this, I do think he is a wonderful actor.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »