What is Morality?

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

The Voice of Time

Re: What is Morality?

Post by The Voice of Time »

prof wrote:It is true that "morality" as defined in the UTE entails the concept "correspondence with principles held" but it means (denotes) more - and connotes even more.
What else does it mean? I can't imagine that there's anything more to it than following, conforming or excelling at some kind of principle.
prof

Post by prof »

The Voice of Time wrote:
prof wrote:It is true that "morality" as defined in the UTE entails the concept "correspondence with principles held" but it means (denotes) more - and connotes even more.
What else does it mean? I can't imagine that there's anything more to it than following, conforming or excelling at some kind of principle.
Yes. as you say, you "can't imagine." Einstein concluded that imagination is as important as reason ..maybe even more so.

:idea: It might help you figure it out if you read the suggested papers, essays, booklets offered - or even if you carefully read the original post. There it spells out a little of the meaning. The theory expands upon, and explicates, the wider meaning of the term.
Why did it state: "this is a very dynamic definition"?

It argued for it. It gave reasons. Evidently you don't recall what they were. For that you are forgiven. (I often forget things myself.)
The Voice of Time

prof wrote::idea: It might help you figure it out if you read the suggested papers, essays, booklets offered - or even if you carefully read the original post. There it spells out a little of the meaning. The theory expands upon, and explicates, the wider meaning of the term.
Why did it state: "this is a very dynamic definition"?

It argued for it. It gave reasons. Evidently you don't recall what they were. For that you are forgiven. (I often forget things myself.)
Seems an awful lot of reading for a very simple question. All it takes is a single phrase to disprove my suspicion that the above is all there is to morality.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

you must be able to recite from memory this new good ethical principle or you can't be a good citizen...

we'll give you a couple of minutes to rant...

-Imp
prof

Post by prof »

As it was phrased in the original post,

"Morality" is "self increasingly corresponding to (matching) an improving Self-ideal."

This implies moral growth and development. It leaves room for that to occur.

L. Kohlberg, years ago, [between 1958 and 1987] conceived of Stages of Moral Develop,ment as one matures. He spelled out what they were. One version of his several formulations is available here at:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_K ... evelopment -
- and especially, and more specifically, HERE; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kohlberg%2 ... ent#Stages
The Voice of Time

prof wrote:As it was phrased in the original post,

"Morality" is "self increasingly corresponding to (matching) an improving Self-ideal."

This implies moral growth and development. It leaves room for that to occur.
But isn't that the same as a principle? And how can you improve the self-ideal without having a principle which decides that in turn? Seems to me it's only a principle about a chain of principles ^^ and in the end it becomes like saying two apples is different than one apple, which is true, but the difference doesn't remove the principle of appleness, and you usually don't introduce count in a discussion on what is an apple.