The Most Despotic Taxes Known to Mankind

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

FlashDangerpants

Re: The Most Despotic Taxes Known to Mankind

Post by FlashDangerpants »

So the relationship between companies charging more for their products and, well, inflation, is what precisely?
FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants wrote:And I really think he's going to find some way to misunderstand it still
The internet owes me points for that epic display of prescience!
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

FlashDangerpants wrote:So the relationship between companies charging more for their products and, well, inflation, is what precisely?
Inflation refers to the dilution in the value of money due to excess supply, which is controlled by the government. If the government allows the quantity of money to double, prices will double. Hyperinflation is when it takes a wheelbarrow of money to buy a loaf of bread like in the Weimar Republic of Germany.
FlashDangerpants

bobevenson wrote:
FlashDangerpants wrote:So the relationship between companies charging more for their products and, well, inflation, is what precisely?
Inflation refers to the dilution in the value of money due to excess supply, which is controlled by the government. If the government allows the quantity of money to double, prices will double. Hyperinflation is when it takes a wheelbarrow of money to buy a loaf of bread like in the Weimar Republic of Germany.
But you want to print exponentially more money. And you said that would prevent inflation.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

FlashDangerpants wrote:
bobevenson wrote:
But you want to print exponentially more money. And you said that would prevent inflation.
Where the hell did you pick up a goofy idea like that?
FlashDangerpants

bobevenson wrote:
FlashDangerpants wrote:
bobevenson wrote: Inflation refers to the dilution in the value of money due to excess supply, which is controlled by the government. If the government allows the quantity of money to double, prices will double. Hyperinflation is when it takes a wheelbarrow of money to buy a loaf of bread like in the Weimar Republic of Germany.
Where the hell did you pick up a goofy idea like that?
Here. On page 5 of this remarkable thread.
bobevenson wrote:It doesn't matter where the money comes from, taxes are paid with money, and it is the government's responsibility to see that the total amount of money equals the total value of property, avoiding either inflation or deflation.
And here on page 8 as well...
bobevenson wrote:It is the responsibility of government to ensure that the total money supply is approximately equal to the total value of property; otherwise, the result will be economic inflation or deflation. It is absolutely critical to a free society that money be a repository of value. Aren't you glad you have the prophetic guidance of Bob the Baptist?

You could opt to make the total value of all property equal the amount of existing money I suppose.
But that would hyper deflation, so you are hosed either way.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

You goofy son-of-a-bitch, you're the guy who thinks inflation is a good thing, and that a diluted value of money should chase a given quantity of goods; on the other hand, Bob the Baptist says inflation is a bad thing, and no diluted money should chase a given quantity of goods.
FlashDangerpants

The quotes are right there. It's your words, I didn't make them up.

You have proposed to massively more than double the money in circulation.
You admit that a mere doubling would cause hyperinflation.
You think 2.5% inflation is a criminal excess.
Therefore you are attempting to commit a crime.
To protect you from yourself nobody should ever vote for the AEP.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

FlashDangerpants wrote:The quotes are right there. It's your words, I didn't make them up.

Is the AEP a corrupt organization? It's interesting that two anagrams of AEP are PEA and APE.

PhilX
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

FlashDangerpants wrote:The quotes are right there. It's your words, I didn't make them up.

Either you can't read English or are certifiably insane; there are no other possibilities, my friend.
FlashDangerpants

You seem to be becoming desperate to avoid facing an error you made. I don't understand why you can't just say that your plan to print lots of money was an error and you've changed your mind.

Well ok, I suppose if I change your mind for you that must make me your new God.
But to be fair, my predecessor was lying to you a lot, so you should probably go with it.
FlashDangerpants

It looks like we're going to be using this collection a lot from now on Bob, so here's a little reminder of some quotes that you will have to just cry about from now on. Ready for some nice and easy cutting and pasting.
bobevenson wrote:it is the government's responsibility to see that the total amount of money equals the total value of property, avoiding either inflation or deflation.
bobevenson wrote:It is the responsibility of government to ensure that the total money supply is approximately equal to the total value of property; otherwise, the result will be economic inflation or deflation.
bobevenson wrote: Inflation refers to the dilution in the value of money due to excess supply, which is controlled by the government. If the government allows the quantity of money to double, prices will double. Hyperinflation is when it takes a wheelbarrow of money to buy a loaf of bread like in the Weimar Republic of Germany.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

For the mentally retarded, let me state the official position of the AEP: the total amount of money should not exceed the total value of marketable property, and the only way this can be accomplished is by restricting the creation of money to audited certificates of property value.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

bobevenson wrote:For the mentally retarded,
This forum is a major downer to be a part of.
FlashDangerpants

bobevenson wrote:For the mentally retarded, let me state the official position of the AEP: the total amount of money should not exceed the total value of marketable property, and the only way this can be accomplished is by restricting the creation of money to audited certificates of property value.
Audited Certificates of Property Value? The Fed doesn't create those. What weird new definition of money supply are you now promoting?

And how much of it do you need to keep lying around?
Bear in mind that the land alone in the USA has been valued at a total of 23 $Trillion
http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2015/04/ ... -trillion/
And as you have pointed out, the stuff on top of that land is to be taxed too and that adds a lot more of those $Trillions.

You can check out some graphs showing the US monetary base here if you like
http://www.shadowstats.com/charts/monet ... ney-supply
You'll note that even the M3 definition of money supply (which includes a lot of contracts that aren't real money and isn't usually used) doesn't come close to covering what you have just for land.

So you have to manufacture Trillions of new dollars and will cause rocketing inflation.