Propaganda Antidote

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

commonsense

Re: Propaganda Antidote

Post by commonsense »

RCSaunders wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:04 pm
commonsense wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:32 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:15 am
Not sure what, "acceptable," means. Those the slander and false accusations and insults are about certainly won't, "accept," them, and those who use such tactics are ignorant ignorant and evile. But they are only words. No one has to listen to them. It would be wrong to use force to prevent anyone from saying anything. Who decides which words are, "acceptible?" and which accusation are false, slander, or lies? If those with the power to regulate speech decide yours are lies, slander, false, or insulting, is that OK with you?

Anyway, it is impossible to say anything bad about any politician that overestimates the facts.
I agree and yet I would say that words have power to incite actions, e.g., to gas humans to death without apparent remorse.
Could words incite you to gas humans? Even if you could be incited to gas someone, it would be the words that did it, it would be you reaction to the words. How many horrible things which people do are excused as caused by, "words," when it is always only individual choice, not words that are the cause. How often have you heard outrages excused with words like, "it's company policy," or "it's the law," as if the words written in some policy or law made anyone do anything.
Thanks for pointing out my mistake. I should have said that words can evoke a reaction in people that can incite actions by people.
Belinda

Re: Propaganda Antidote

Post by Belinda »

RCSaunders wrot
Could words incite you to gas humans? Even if you could be incited to gas someone, it would be the words that did it, it would be you reaction to the words. How many horrible things which people do are excused as caused by, "words," when it is always only individual choice, not words that are the cause. How often have you heard outrages excused with words like, "it's company policy," or "it's the law," as if the words written in some policy or law made anyone do anything.
But we normally protect children from bad ideas.

Recruits to soldiery are normally brutalised to the extent they are able to kill .

Hitler , by means of his oratory, opened to brutality many very civilised Germans and others.

Commercial advertisers pay a lot of money to wordsmiths who are well able to persuade consumers.If wordsmithing did not work CEOs would not pay wordsmiths.

Politicians similarly pay spin doctors. If spin doctoring was not worth paying for politicians would not pay for the service.

To sum up, Saunders, if you believe Xian individuals are protected against lying skulduggery by their religious beliefs then you are not aware of the power of the devil.