Music

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Blaggard

Re: Music

Post by Blaggard »

It's not really necessary to embed youtubes, people are quite savy and can just click on the links and view. That said I know what you mean but it is not a problem to most people. And on a philosophy forum I am not so sure we need an embeded youtube link code per se.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSPWycqp2sA

Men at work and Scrubs. He has other songs you know. :)
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Way too many links at once slow down.

I listened to 5 first one meh it was ok, second one, nice pop tune, 3rd sounded a bit like a Eurovision song contest entry, not for me. 4th nice guitar piece, 5th well it could be sung in the language of the Patma tribe of the darkest rain forests in South America and I think people would recognise it, nice tune.

That said I don't think most people have time to go through the whole list. I think 1 link at once is most peoples limits, 2 if they don't have to be at work in the next 5 minutes, it's an ADD world now. :)

If you included Santana, or a giant later I missed it, sorry. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyhPL2Q_Bog

Do like this song though.

Aquarela do Brasil. Portuguese I know but it qualifies... ;) :)

Just makes you want to get up and move. It could be sung backwards, but that music is mesmerising. There's certainly something though to be said about Romance songs as a whole, they have passion and verve.

Should of been the world cup song, the shite they put out was horrible, it's not a football thread though so I'll keep quiet on that issue methinks.

Brazil... when hearts were entertaining June, we stood beneath an amber moon! :)
Conde Lucanor

Post by Conde Lucanor »

Blaggard wrote:
Way too many links at once slow down.

I listened to 5 first one meh it was ok, second one, nice pop tune, 3rd sounded a bit like a Eurovision song contest entry, not for me. 4th nice guitar piece, 5th well it could be sung in the language of the Patma tribe of the darkest rain forests in South America and I think people would recognise it, nice tune.

That said I don't think most people have time to go through the whole list. I think 1 link at once is most peoples limits, 2 if they don't have to be at work in the next 5 minutes, it's an ADD world now. :)
Well...yeah, I got a little carried away, didn't I? I hope you get to listen to the rock tunes.
Blaggard wrote:If you included Santana, or a giant later I missed it, sorry. :)
No, I didn't. I should have included argentinian band Rata Blanca. Fans of Yngwie Malmsteen (including me) will appreciate those neoclassical guitar skills:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXVTmBqKV4o
Blaggard wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyhPL2Q_Bog

Do like this song though.

Aquarela do Brasil. Portuguese I know but it qualifies... ;) :)

Just makes you want to get up and move. It could be sung backwards, but that music is mesmerising. There's certainly something though to be said about Romance songs as a whole, they have passion and verve.
Recognizable, mosty by old folks, but not very popular on my side of Latin America.
Blaggard wrote:Should of been the world cup song, the shite they put out was horrible, it's not a football thread though so I'll keep quiet on that issue methinks.

Brazil... when hearts were entertaining June, we stood beneath an amber moon! :)
[/quote]

World Cup songs are just marketing material, disposable, nothing of value there. It has nothing to do with Brazil, either.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Nah that's cool I'll get to them all by and by, but there were just too many.
Recognizable, mosty by old folks, but not very popular on my side of Latin America.
Hardly surprising, that said though I like it, and I am not that old! :P

Incidentally that song in English, Can't of course find it done in English by the original artist but something that does not do it a diservice so you if you don't speak Portuguese, could see the point. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVDOrlugfBI

Unfortunately only got a youtube clip of the film Brazil, but I think the last part where it goes into that samba bit does the original justice. Which I just love and I think would of killed that shite Shakira did if they could of been assed. As you say when it comes to football all the songs have to be over produced and comercial. Mind you I think 3 lions for the European Cup wasn't half bad, perhaps the exception that proves the rule. :)

There is just something about the music of the Americas South of the border and Spain and Portugal of course, as I said before, emoitonante mi corizon. I Don't speak Spanish by the way probably a really bad translation, cobbled together from American movies.

Yngwee Malmsteen you old dog, still have an album by that virtouoso guitarist, that takes me back. :)
Conde Lucanor

Post by Conde Lucanor »

Blaggard wrote: Hardly surprising, that said though I like it, and I am not that old! :P

Incidentally that song in English, Can't of course find it done in English by the original artist but something that does not do it a diservice so you if you don't speak Portuguese, could see the point. :)
The song I believe is from the 1940's, but probably redone by many artists, so still rings. There's certainly some level of success of Brazilian songs in the rest of Latin America, although never as profound as the songs that came from Spain, Cuba, Mexico and Argentina. You can add Puerto Rico with the development of Salsa genre after the Fania All Stars.
Blaggard wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVDOrlugfBI

Unfortunately only got a youtube clip of the film Brazil, but I think the last part where it goes into that samba bit does the original justice.
So many years! I gotta see that film again, it was kind of a cult thing back when I was at the university. I didn't even remember that theme.
Blaggard wrote:Which I just love and I think would of killed that shite Shakira did if they could of been assed. As you say when it comes to football all the songs have to be over produced and comercial. Mind you I think 3 lions for the European Cup wasn't half bad, perhaps the exception that proves the rule. :)
Back since the Ricky Martin thing, I've felt all that soccer cup music has been crap. The only music I still link to sports and have a positive review is Sam Spence's music for NFL films.
Blaggard wrote:There is just something about the music of the Americas South of the border and Spain and Portugal of course, as I said before, emoitonante mi corizon. I Don't speak Spanish by the way probably a really bad translation, cobbled together from American movies.
When growing up, I completely despised all that music. I just wanted Rock 'n' Roll, The Beatles were gods, and then came Sabbath, Maiden, etc., Then I really grew up and started appreciating all that I had been missing. I'm still catching up.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

@conde Lacanor

Happy days my hard rocking amigo: you can watch Brazil for free on youtube or download it for free from many sites, quite legally. :)

I've always wondered why it was called Brazil, Terry Gilliam kinda explains it as just a song he heard at the time about love, but it's an odd choice for a title that is basically a pop at capitalist based systems that go far too far into the 1984 territory than they should. I think the terrorist thing was kinda prescient, he certainly nailed that one. But I think the thing about Brazil is that it's implicitly at least somewhat clear that the terrorist element is actually created by the government to divert people's attention away from it's shockingly bloated bureaucracy. After all who is going to be looking too closely at the government when there is a common enemy out there, that everyone knows is amongst us, but no one can actually find. :)

Yeah I was always into a broad amount of music, but when I found metal I think I found my first love, it's not to say it will be my last, but there's something special about your first. :)

I think obviously culturally speaking Spanish music is always going to dominate over Portuguese music, I mean you took over much more of the globe, although the Portuguese did try in the East Indies, sorry about beating you in to 2nd place for the worlds biggest Empire building bunch of warmongers. It would take all day to explain how we could, but never underestimate the power of privateering, piracy for the crown, never underestimate the sheer greed and want of Empire, and never underestimate dirty underhand tactics that employ mercenary forces. :)
Conde Lucanor

Post by Conde Lucanor »

Blaggard wrote:@conde Lacanor

Happy days my hard rocking amigo: you can watch Brazil for free on youtube or download it for free from many sites, quite legally. :)

I've always wondered why it was called Brazil, Terry Gilliam kinda explains it as just a song he heard at the time about love, but it's an odd choice for a title that is basically a pop at capitalist based systems that go far too far into the 1984 territory than they should. I think the terrorist thing was kinda prescient, he certainly nailed that one. But I think the thing about Brazil is that it's implicitly at least somewhat clear that the terrorist element is actually created by the government to divert people's attention away from it's shockingly bloated bureaucracy. After all who is going to be looking too closely at the government when there is a common enemy out there, that everyone knows is amongst us, but no one can actually find. :)
Terrorists, dystopian worlds and Latin American music seem to be common in Gilliam's films, at least that's my impression after 12 Monkeys, one of my favorites of all times (just casting Madeleine Stowe does it for me). The main theme there is from Astor Piazzola:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AegUFLTBNxM
Blaggard wrote:Yeah I was always into a broad amount of music, but when I found metal I think I found my first love, it's not to say it will be my last, but there's something special about your first. :)
Not my first love, but my ever lasting love. Actually the most complex, virtuoso-oriented metal compositions, set me up for what became my next musical love affair: classical music.
Blaggard wrote:I think obviously culturally speaking Spanish music is always going to dominate over Portuguese music, I mean you took over much more of the globe, although the Portuguese did try in the East Indies, sorry about beating you in to 2nd place for the worlds biggest Empire building bunch of warmongers. It would take all day to explain how we could, but never underestimate the power of privateering, piracy for the crown, never underestimate the sheer greed and want of Empire, and never underestimate dirty underhand tactics that employ mercenary forces. :)
No, never.
The Battle of Porto Bello, by Samuel Scott:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Porto_Bello
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Well you could start a discussion on Gilliam's films all to its own thread, and possibly never get done, he is a weirdly imaginative guy though...

hehe you know your history, that is not the only time things like that were done. Did it in much of the Spanish main. All's fair though in love and war... Blockading the silver fleet from leaving Panama via nombre de dios, blockading the Spanish treasure fleets most profitable ships. Attacks on Maracaibo, Trinidad, Santo Domigo et al and other ports by privateer Captains. The famous taking of the Spanish treasure fleets big galleons by such privateers as Drake who later became Sir Francis Drake, possibly because he sent much of the treasure back to England to finance Elizabeths coffers. It's all quite interesting. Suffice to say the Carribean went from a mostly Spanish controled area to being a European battle field which the English eventually gained the most ground in I think, especially in terms of trade control, if we look acre by acre and ground by ground. We were filthy in our tactics though in fact if we did half the crap we did then now, the UN would disown us overnight. Different times though, you could do practicaly anything in war back then...

Interesting tales of piracy, dressed up in the name of a letter of the marque, and as privateering, the slight detail of only attacking ships and plundering them if they were your countries enemies, quite a smart idea that. But then Elizabeth was quite a smart queen. :)
Not my first love, but my ever lasting love. Actually the most complex, virtuoso-oriented metal compositions, set me up for what became my next musical love affair: classical music.
I must admit I am a fan of classical music but I've never really had time to explore it in depth, so I am afraid I am just an observer when it comes to it, an interested layman. I know what I like but as far as I've spread my wings, the classical field is so large I don't think I have ever had the time to really get to grips with it... maybe when I retire?
Conde Lucanor

Post by Conde Lucanor »

Did you know the Scottish planned a settlement here near the Darien Isthmus (today is somewhere in the frontier between Panama and Colombia). It was called New Caledonia, but the Spanish and the indians made sure they had a miserable life, so the project failed. Then they had to join the British Empire. If they could have stayed on our side, maybe history would have been a little different:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/ci ... n_01.shtml
Hjarloprillar

Post by Hjarloprillar »

Then we go sideways

'Rage against the machine'
play loud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWXazVhlyxQ

bonus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL6Bve-NhbM
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Rage against the Machine are if nothing else angry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWXazVhlyxQ

Can you believe though this made Christmas no 1 because everyone on Facebank, or spacebook, or twanker or whatever it is, just got fed of hearing about how Pap Idol and their plastic fantastic pop was the be all. I think a triumph for Killing in the Name of... ;)

Don't get me wrong as much as I liked it getting to Chstmas no 1, I am not so sure those lyrics were that apt for the festival season. :)

"Killing In The Name"

Killing in the name of!
Some of those that work forces, are the same that burn crosses
Huh!

Killing in the name of!
Killing in the name of

And now you do what they told ya
But now you do what they told ya
Well now you do what they told ya

Those who died are justified, for wearing the badge, they're the chosen whites
You justify those that died by wearing the badge, they're the chosen whites

Uggh!

Killing in the name of!
Killing in the name of

And now you do what they told ya, now you're under control (7 times)
And now you do what they told ya, now you're under control
And now you do what they told ya!

Come on!

Yeah! Come on!

Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me
Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me!
Motherfucker!
Uggh!
Not exactly full of good Christmas cheer, or something perhaps Ebeneezer Scrooge would yell out of his window to Tiny Tim, the cripple, referring to the biggest turkey in the shop, but it sure beats some of the ass candy you hear in the pop charts at no 1 over Christmas.

;)
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Speaking of music perhaps and I don't know your music tastes you may, or may not like this song, it's not exactly classical music, it's not Jazz certainly, perhaps something a little apart from x you might be used to, if you don't like metal, or hard rock/Punk for God's sake don't click on it, and if you are of a more fragile disposition and like easy listening for lords sake don't click on the link... but you have been warned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSvFpBO ... xQ&index=2

SOAD. You probably won't like it. :) ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTWKbfo ... xQ&index=3

And for all that is holy don't click on this either if you are of a fragile nature, I know it's got Dave Grohl on drums, and you might think then it's right up your alley, but if you really don't like any grunge, hard rock or anything like that, please do not click on the link, and if heaven forbid you do, don't think I didn't warn you, it's not for you right, please don't click on the link; now I know no one pays attention to spoilers or warnings, and that's ok, but please for all that is holy don't right, just don't ok...
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

I like this song, well that's my prerogative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk2xaeXnxlM

But I think if you dislike any music or art, perhaps your curtains are a little tightly shut...

If you know your arse from your elbow, use your arms, and throw them cheap coverings wide. Couldn't hurt right? Or of course you could whine about it and think that what you think matters like some divot in the dark, it's what most of the incorrigible mushrooms on Earth do, whine like babies until they get their way. That is of course your prerogative. 1 day though: give me one day...

If you still of course feel like whining like a girl after that, that is your prerogative, just know this though, you have heard the chimes at midnight. Whine some more, it certainly will make your day, and when it has all been whined out - one day - of course you need a million, but give elbow one day, and then look at your curtains... :)