What form of discipline should be used at home?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: What form of discipline should be used at home?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

SpheresOfBalance wrote: And if your country is one of our allies, and some country comes into yours and starts killing your children, and we come in and save you pacifist lives, you'll be the first one to thank us for doing so. Isn't it funny, about shoes on another foot.
Yes, I've seen the kind of 'help' your paranoid shit-hole gives. No thank you.
vegetariantaxidermy

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:"Obviously I disagree. For the 20 lb. weaklings to say such things, I understand, as their fear is the deepest, surrounded by a wall of giant humans, but for the burly family, of bear like humans, it's nothing more than play, albeit, slightly stronger, so as to make a point, WHEN IT'S WARRANTED; NOT A MEANS TO HARM, ONLY EVER TO ACCENTUATE. The spectrum of dichotomy is only as wide as one makes it! Narrow it and one looses perspective! Simply becoming, prey!"

Far too many commas, in all the wrong places. 'bear like humans': I think you meant 'bear-like' humans, but perhaps you meant 'bears like humans'? I don't think they do. 'looses':I'm sure you meant loses, but I can't be sure. Lots of fragmentation. Inappropriate use of the exclamation mark......
NO, to the commas, my English professor said that as to comma placement, which is only meant as a pause, or to delineate a list, it is up to the "creative license" of the author. Consider my commas, me telling you that I want you to pause, for dramatic effect, the worst you could say is that I'm a William Shatner clone, in his Captain Kirk role. I agree that bear-like would have been clearer, gut you have to be realistic, logically, contextually, that's all I could have meant. Looses was a sticky key, I meant loses, I have mentioned way back in Sept of 2011, that my keyboard is really old and worn, and can't afford to get a new one, of course you were not aware of that, but it's true to this day. Nope, only one fragment: "Simply becoming, prey!" As to exclamation marks, nope, went a little wild, but they were meant to exclaim strong feelings! I'm also very guilty of run-on's though, which you never even mentioned.

Still you have largely mentioned punctuation, not grammar, which for me is all about conjugation, clauses and tense. Wikipedia states: "The term "English grammar," therefore, may have several meanings."

Additionally, you have not mentioned any grammatical errors that would cause yo to go off half cocked against Americans which is in fact par for your course. You obviously have a bone to pick, with "Americans," seeing them largely responsible for all the problems in the world, or so it would surely seem. You also are incapable of understanding that we are individuals just like you, and that the argument of "us and them" is a falsehood only serving those of shallow mind.

But it really doesn't matter as it is always true that one only argues marginal grammar/spelling as a last ditch effort when they know they lost the argument. If you understood my intent then you have no real reason to call my grammar into question, as communication is only meant to convey meaning, not whine about breaking rules as to perfect grammar. Who's perfect after all, YOU? I checked your last message, it is full of fragments, by the way.
It all falls under the umbrella of grammar. Read it yourself for crying out loud. It was incomprehensible garbage. The whole point of having decent grammar skills is to BE UNDERSTOOD. No one's a mind reader. Your writing isn't always like that. I was only being honest in telling you the comment made no sense. Call it constructive criticism. I bet you go easy on the commas from now on :D And fragmentation is fine in this setting, as long as it's easily understood and done properly. Yours wasn't. Writing on here is actually a hybrid of talking and writing. Would you really pause for a gap in all the places you put commas if you were talking to someone? I doubt it somehow. People would think you were having an asthma attack.
And yes, there is 'us and you'. We are nothing like you, and you are nothing like us. When you have enough people with a like mind, you end up with a 'National mind-set'. I'm sure there are warmongering fascist arseholes here too, just not as many as you have. I've never met a creationist here, but there must be some. We don't have the death penalty. We don't imprison people for the rest of their lives for shop-lifting. We've never had lynchings. Hardly anyone has a gun, apart from farmers. We aren't forced to worship a piece of cloth every morning.............
I even have a 'delightful' yank stalker who no doubt reads my every word here to see if it can report me for 'unAmerican activities,' because of course the entire planet is obliged to love you and act like you.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote: And if your country is one of our allies, and some country comes into yours and starts killing your children, and we come in and save you pacifist lives, you'll be the first one to thank us for doing so. Isn't it funny, about shoes on another foot.
You do have a stick up your ass don't you! You Europeans would now be speaking German, if it wasn't for the USA and the U.S.S.R. That's the kind of help we give our ALLIES <-the word seems to have escaped you, hitting the juice again, huh?
vegetariantaxidermy

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
You do have a stick up your ass don't you! You Europeans would now be speaking German, if it wasn't for the USA and the U.S.S.R. That's the kind of help we give our ALLIES <-the word seems to have escaped you, hitting the juice again, huh?
How many times have I heard that pathetic old cliche? How the hell would you know what language anyone would be speaking in a hypothetical future? It wasn't that long ago you were completely paranoid about the USSR, and reds under the beds. You always have to have someone on the go to hate and be paranoid about.
SpheresOfBalance

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:"Obviously I disagree. For the 20 lb. weaklings to say such things, I understand, as their fear is the deepest, surrounded by a wall of giant humans, but for the burly family, of bear like humans, it's nothing more than play, albeit, slightly stronger, so as to make a point, WHEN IT'S WARRANTED; NOT A MEANS TO HARM, ONLY EVER TO ACCENTUATE. The spectrum of dichotomy is only as wide as one makes it! Narrow it and one looses perspective! Simply becoming, prey!"

Far too many commas, in all the wrong places. 'bear like humans': I think you meant 'bear-like' humans, but perhaps you meant 'bears like humans'? I don't think they do. 'looses':I'm sure you meant loses, but I can't be sure. Lots of fragmentation. Inappropriate use of the exclamation mark......
NO, to the commas, my English professor said that as to comma placement, which is only meant as a pause, or to delineate a list, it is up to the "creative license" of the author. Consider my commas, me telling you that I want you to pause, for dramatic effect, the worst you could say is that I'm a William Shatner clone, in his Captain Kirk role. I agree that bear-like would have been clearer, gut you have to be realistic, logically, contextually, that's all I could have meant. Looses was a sticky key, I meant loses, I have mentioned way back in Sept of 2011, that my keyboard is really old and worn, and can't afford to get a new one, of course you were not aware of that, but it's true to this day. Nope, only one fragment: "Simply becoming, prey!" As to exclamation marks, nope, went a little wild, but they were meant to exclaim strong feelings! I'm also very guilty of run-on's though, which you never even mentioned.

Still you have largely mentioned punctuation, not grammar, which for me is all about conjugation, clauses and tense. Wikipedia states: "The term "English grammar," therefore, may have several meanings."

Additionally, you have not mentioned any grammatical errors that would cause yo to go off half cocked against Americans which is in fact par for your course. You obviously have a bone to pick, with "Americans," seeing them largely responsible for all the problems in the world, or so it would surely seem. You also are incapable of understanding that we are individuals just like you, and that the argument of "us and them" is a falsehood only serving those of shallow mind.

But it really doesn't matter as it is always true that one only argues marginal grammar/spelling as a last ditch effort when they know they lost the argument. If you understood my intent then you have no real reason to call my grammar into question, as communication is only meant to convey meaning, not whine about breaking rules as to perfect grammar. Who's perfect after all, YOU? I checked your last message, it is full of fragments, by the way.
It all falls under the umbrella of grammar. Read it yourself for crying out loud. It was incomprehensible garbage. The whole point of having decent grammar skills is to BE UNDERSTOOD. No one's a mind reader. Your writing isn't always like that. I was only being honest in telling you the comment made no sense. Call it constructive criticism. I bet you go easy on the commas from now on :D And fragmentation is fine in this setting, as long as it's easily understood and done properly. Yours wasn't. Writing on here is actually a hybrid of talking and writing. Would you really pause for a gap in all the places you put commas if you were talking to someone? I doubt it somehow. People would think you were having an asthma attack.
And yes, there is 'us and you'. We are nothing like you, and you are nothing like us. When you have enough people with a like mind, you end up with a 'National mind-set'. I'm sure there are warmongering fascist arseholes here too, just not as many as you have. I've never met a creationist here, but there must be some. We don't have the death penalty. We don't imprison people for the rest of their lives for shop-lifting. We've never had lynchings. Hardly anyone has a gun, apart from farmers. We aren't forced to worship a piece of cloth every morning.............
I even have a 'delightful' yank stalker who no doubt reads my every word here to see if it can report me for 'unAmerican activities,' because of course the entire planet is obliged to love you and act like you.
Quit your bellyaching, it made perfect sense, you just have "hard nipples" (well I can't say that you have a hard-on, now can I), for Americans. I bet if you stub your toe you blame the Americans.
vegetariantaxidermy

I thought a 'hard-on' meant you liked someone. 'Meant'. Do you yanks say 'meaned'? What about 'wise'? Is that 'wize' to you, like 'size'? I can see how English is too complicated for you, hence the need to dumb it down.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpheresOfBalance

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Yes, I've seen the kind of 'help' your paranoid shit-hole gives. No thank you.
How many times have I heard that pathetic old cliche? How the hell would you know what language anyone would be speaking in a hypothetical future? It wasn't that long ago you were completely paranoid about the USSR, and reds under the beds. You always have to have someone on the go to hate and be paranoid about.
Speak for yourself, woman! With your ranting and raving, sheesh! "I" HAVE DONE NOTHING OF THE SORT.

I really hope you feel better after these hate-mongering rants of yours, blaming Americans for everything, as it's the only reason I'll feel good about taking your crap. ;)
Last edited by SpheresOfBalance on Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
vegetariantaxidermy

It's not 'hate-mongering'. It's all true.
We might all be speaking Klingon by now, if you hadn't got pissed off about your widdle warships in Pearl Harbour. Who knows? The Universe is a strange place.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpheresOfBalance

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I thought a 'hard-on' meant you liked someone. 'Meant'. Do you yanks say 'meaned'? What about 'wise'? Is that 'wize' to you, like 'size'? I can see how English is too complicated for you, hence the need to dumb it down.
Actually, many times I've heard Americans say, that someone had a "hard-on" for another, because they were always fighting with them.
vegetariantaxidermy

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I thought a 'hard-on' meant you liked someone. 'Meant'. Do you yanks say 'meaned'? What about 'wise'? Is that 'wize' to you, like 'size'? I can see how English is too complicated for you, hence the need to dumb it down.
Actually, many times I've heard Americans say, that someone had a "hard-on" for another, because they were always fighting with them.
That's because they are idiots. A 'hard-on' is an erection. It's a bit of an odd reaction to have when fighting, but you never know. You are a pretty weird lot.
SpheresOfBalance

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:It's not 'hate-mongering'. It's all true.
We might all be speaking Klingon by now, if you hadn't got pissed off about your widdle warships in Pearl Harbour. Who knows? The Universe is a strange place.
They weren't mine, I tell you, they weren't mine!!!!!

I'm one of those very rare, "Good Americans."

Come on Veggie, I know you can say those two words adjacent to one another, just as I've written them above. Ready, "SOB is a very rare good American," well at least to some degree! ;)
SpheresOfBalance

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
That's because they are idiots. A 'hard-on' is an erection. It's a bit of an odd reaction to have when fighting, but you never know. You are a pretty weird lot.
I don't know about that, it's common, at least for children, that either a boy or a girl (play) hits the other because the like them. At least in America it's common, I thought it was world wide.
vegetariantaxidermy

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:It's not 'hate-mongering'. It's all true.
They weren't mine, I tell you, they weren't mine!!!!!

I'm one of those very rare, "Good Americans."

Come on Veggie, I know you can say those two words adjacent to one another, just as I've written them above. Ready, "SOB is a very rare good American," well at least to some degree! ;)
I used to think that, but after your 'would be speaking German' comment I see you are just the same as any other. It's that 'mind-set' thing again.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I'm a big one for using commas to help break up bigger sentences into smaller parts making them easier to read and to point out certain thoughts to give them emphasis plus they're useful to help clarify; but here you're using comma when you should be using apostrophe to describe the mark.

PhilX
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I want to make the discussion a bit more interesting so I'm introducing new thoughts that are in accord with my OP.

First thought: how much patience should be used with the children? Factors such as age should be considered in specifically answering this question.

Second thought: if, e.g., you wanted to teach the child that certain things can be harmful such as a hot stove and have that child touch that stove just enough to cause pain, but not long enough to cause bodily harm, would you be justified in this doing this type of discipline?

Third thought: what about pets such as dogs, cats and chimps? Can they be disciplined even when it runs against their instincts? Do they need more discipline than human children?

With babysitters, what instructions would you give them? Would you instruct a 15-year old babysitter differently than a 21-year old babysitter?

PhilX