A Philosophy of Mind

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Bill Wiltrack

Re: A Philosophy of Mind

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Holy Shit!

Barb, I did not mean to hurt you or your feelings.

I love you.

I'm on Eastern Standard time...it's 5:35 PM Saturday January 7, 2012. I swear to god that I have not been to this thread since I tossed-up that GIF.

I was just goofing around.

Honestly, artisticsolution stated above better than I could,

I hope you don't leave the forum, Barbara. I really think Bill posted that innocently and that he would have probably never posted such a thing if he really knew what it meant. I think the pic just meant to imply that some things which may have been said before....don't need to be said again. I don't think he meant to show cruelty toward animals. But now that you brought it up , I can see that those types of picture are horrible. I would not have even see it that way before you mentioned it...so ty you for opening my eyes. Perhaps Bill didn't see it that way either?

...and yet, just as my first read, your exchange with AMod may lend you insight into yourself.

I think AMod is spot-on in his assessment of you. Not to be mean but I think he is speaking the truth in an articulate and useful way.

:lol:

This an example of your, "Philosophy is harmoniously constituted, not mean, or boisterous, or unjust." and "philosophy insists that the philosopher should have a naturally well-proportioned and gracious mind"?

So much for your message from the 'greats' as your words belie them.

If you'd bothered to note I said I'd ask but I think I'll not bother now.

Next time start a webblog as that is where your stuff should be. Just an opinion I agree with.

Happy editing!

AMod.

p.s.
So you are just a drama-queen then? As if you have all your words, which is pretty obvious from your cut-paste approach, what need to declare your intention to leave nor your request for help nor your mercantile offer.

I don't think I can sound or act more like a dick in what I have caused here but I think you could grow by listening to what AMod has told you.

I'm sorry about my crassness...eggs/omelets.

Perhaps some good can come out of this...

Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

HOLY SHIT!

I just went back to page #189 and viewed what you posted in response to this GIF:

......................................Image

WOW!

Barb, I want to stay on your good side!

I LOVE your feisty spirit!

You did good.

You did the right thing.

Perhaps we can both look back and chuckle a bit over this entire foil!

Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Bye the way...

I LOVE horses;

...and all sorts of those other animals.

It's a shame that all but one of these animals had to be beat in order to make this GIF.

SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

I agree barb, I shall miss your attendance, as it doesn't matter if we exactly see eye to eye. I enjoy every peaceful ones presence. And find that it's human to experience moments of breakdown. I would appreciate knowing and looking in on your existence, from time to time. As I've said before, I believe that variety is the spice of life, and you are indeed a bit tangy! ;-)

PEACE, my friend! :)
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

This may sound odd but...

The more I think of it, this is the LARGEST thread - by far - within this whole forum, largely because of Barbara Brooks herself and her input.

I LOVE and respect Barbara Brooks as a woman who has the courage to attach her real-dimensional name to her own thoughts and open herself up to the world and take on all comers to defend her original thread and her subsequent thoughts throughout the maintenance of her thread. She has done a GREAT job.

When faced with a non-linear post she TOTALLY lost her shit.

It was obvious that Barbara was taken OUT of her comfort zone.

When I think about it, her subsequent reaction to me UNDERMINED her ENTIRE THREAD. SHE undermined her ENTIRE THREAD in a way that me or anyone else could not have done...or undone. It made it seem like ALL OF HER POSTS HERE AT: A Philosophy of Mind were TOTAL BULLSHIT. She was not able, in any way, to react in real-time the way her posts would have reflected. Her complete philosophical stance appeared phoney. And in the end it seems like she took her ball and went home...

Looking back upon it, it seems like this thread was Barbara's trophy.

Then someone shit on in a way she could not remove.

She lashed-out, rightfully so and then tried to collect and preserve her thoughts again...without, of course, my rude interruption.

Perhaps she was having a bad day but then, I think about myself.

My life, my dreams, have been cracked and shit upon and rejected and superseded by THE ULTIMATE INTRUDER - life.

All of us are in the same boat. Our sandcastles are washed away rather regularly.

Stay strong Barbara. You will dream again.

I am not the destroyer or the enemy of you.

I am just a victim-yet-perpetrator-of-life. Just. Like. You.

...and everyone else who is witnessing, A Philosophy of Mind.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

I agree with you Bill, you really are a dick and your apologies are as worthless as your platitudes.

Thanks to your witless pasting we appear to have lost one of our oldest and eccentric members. Now whilst I've disagreed with BB's approach I found her infinitely more interesting than you as she at least has read a philosopher and taken him to her heart and mind, whereas you are the worst example of the ignorant prole who thinks they have some thing to say philosophically whilst not having the slightest understanding of the meaning or purpose of the subject. Not that you ever actually say anything, for example, you've taken AMods comments as your thoughts. :roll: To top it off you've come back to piss on her thread, what a fine example of the human primate you are.

You should take your own advice and heed the words of some of our members and actually take your head out of your arse and read some of the philosophers but as ever this will woosh over your fat patronizing ego and I expect yet another puerile image paste from you.

"non-linear post", prat.
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

Arising_uk wrote:I agree with you Bill, you really are a dick and your apologies are as worthless as your platitudes.

Thanks to your witless pasting we appear to have lost one of our oldest and eccentric members. Now whilst I've disagreed with BB's approach I found her infinitely more interesting than you as she at least has read a philosopher and taken him to her heart and mind, whereas you are the worst example of the ignorant prole who thinks they have some thing to say philosophically whilst not having the slightest understanding of the meaning or purpose of the subject. Not that you ever actually say anything, for example, you've taken AMods comments as your thoughts. :roll: To top it off you've come back to piss on her thread, what a fine example of the human primate you are.

You should take your own advice and heed the words of some of our members and actually take your head out of your arse and read some of the philosophers but as ever this will woosh over your fat patronizing ego and I expect yet another puerile image paste from you.

"non-linear post", prat.
Arising,

How do you know it was only Bill who caused her to leave. How do you know it wasnt an accumulation of all of us...including yourself who cause her to leave? Bill could have just been the straw that broke the camel's back.

Note to Bill: But please don't post any pics of camels backs breaking lest another person gets offended by the literal visual translation of an old saying. :wink:

Back to Arising: Remember the discussion we had in the art is thread.....this is kinda what I meant by visual art manipulating a persons mind. So often we believe something from a visual that may or may not be there. Barbara left the forum because of a visual she thought was about animal cruelty, she didn't even stop to consider she may be wrong about Bills intentions and that had he saw it the way she saw it he might not have posted the pic. She gave him no chance to explain to her his true intention. Ironically, She was cruel to Bill, in that she let a picture manipulate her thoughts toward the negative making him the "scapegoat" for her decision to leave the forum. She could have done what you usually do...and been more fair in her assessment of such a situation where as it has been my experience that you usually ask questions before you come to conclusions. But then none of us are perfect and I am not saying anything negative about Barbara...except that I think she jumped the gun on this one...why I am not sure.

Don't you think it odd?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

You're probably right AS and BB was leaving anyway and just needed a straw to help.

I think BB rightly pointed out the inherent contradictions in Bill's thoughts as elsewhere he witters on about mans cruelty to animals but then displays such cruelty with no thought but his own ego.

My post was probably influenced by my irritation at Bill's posts and that he repeatedly demonstrates why images are not the tool of choice for philosophy exactly because of the problem with images that you describe, its hard enough with words.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I think what this foil has displayed is the foolishness of reading philosophy or quoting philosophy and think that you are doing philosophy or that you are a vetted philosopher.

It's just not true.

Barbara Brooks
was one of the most posted members here. She controlled the most discussed thread in the Philosophy of Mind category.

This thread, A Philosophy of Mind has over 2500 posts!

That's unheard of within this forum AND ESPECIALLY WITHIN THIS CATEGORY.

I dropped her with one shot.

Everyone here who is reading this thread has taken shots at Barbara but was unable to phase her.

I dropped her with one shot and she's not coming back.

This thread is dead, finally dead, and it's gunna drop as fast as your pants on a honeymoon.

I respect Barbara.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

And how proud of it you are.

In case you didn't notice, most tried to engage with her, not 'drop her'.

Her post was about the least discussed post here as 98% of it was her and that 98% said the same thing over and over again.

Did you dwell on the point that BB made about your post and your emotive gush about the other animals? Or is that to philosophical a point to think about.
John

Post by John »

Bill Wiltrack wrote: I dropped her with one shot.

Everyone here who is reading this thread has taken shots at Barbara but was unable to phase her.

I dropped her with one shot and she's not coming back.

This thread is dead, finally dead, and it's gunna drop as fast as your pants on a honeymoon.
This makes you sound truly appalling by revelling in the way you've managed to drive off someone who was doing you no harm whatsoever as though you've won some sort of competition to get rid of her. You sound like a gloating bully in the finest tradition of all the John Wayne wannabes that are so common on internet forums.
Bill Wiltrack wrote:I respect Barbara.
Don't lie as well.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Bill, unless I've missed something, I've got to admit that it would seem that you're trying to take credit for something that, at least I'd never want to take credit for.

I for one never wanted her to leave, but rather that she provide easier access to her point.

I truly miss her, despite being at odds with her method.

I would rather her be here doing what she did, as opposed to her not being here.

My view is an all inclusive world where everyone is accepted for their uniqueness, sure there shall be arguments, but when the day is done everyone is respected for the miraculous life that they represent during this temporary balance in a potentially chaotic universe.

Edited: Spelling
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I would rather that she be back - but only if she would continue to speak from the heart.

Those last few posts of her's, when she was ripping me a new asshole, I LOVED THAT.

Those posts were sooooooooooooooooooooo much better than the, evidently, bullshit that she posted for the first 167 pages or so upon this thread. That sucked.

Her tone was odd and disconnected. Obviously she was writing a book or something and was using us as a sounding board of sorts. Which is cool. But it was a sounding board that she rarely could interpret.

I respect Barbara Brooks and all of her posts here.

John

Post by John »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:I respect Barbara Brooks and all of her posts here.
You just said she wrote 167 pages of bullshit. Is there some award for The Least Sincere Post on a Forum you're aiming for that we're unaware of?
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Up to 93% of ALL effective communication between humans is non-verbal.

We, in this site, are stuck in an all-verbal continuum except we we introduce images or when we introduce sound related links.

The most important aspect of real, living philosophy is non-verbal.

Words, written words, are an essential element when we are first introduced to the concept of philosophy.

Barb, like so many apprentice philosophers, misunderstood the aim of all real philosophies.

That is to get out of our minds; to move our perspective; to make us uncomfortable.

Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.

I respect Barbara Brooks and ALL of her posts, just as I respect and appreciate ALL posts of ALL members and guests here at the forum.

In the end we must love ourselves and each other enough to move beyond our comfortable thought patterns.

I respect Barbara Brooks and all of her posts here
is the most sincere and honest words I have written upon this thread or anywhere, for that matter, upon this forum.

I thank you for this opportunity in allowing me to clarify this most important emotion in relation to Barbara Brooks and my view towards all members and the essence or ultimate meaning of philosophy, here at the Philosophy Now Forums.