Dreams

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

duszek

Dreams

Post by duszek »

I wonder if some people here might be interested in interpreting dreams. I remember from school, when we were talking about Freud, that one can interpret one´s own dreams best. But sometimes a dream does not make any sense. So some reactions from other people can give one a clue.

A few days ago I dreamt of a dark night, no street lanterns (they seemed to have been switched off or run out of energy), lots of fog, me on a side-walk, and suddenly a car coming in a curve from the right and approaching me on the side-walk as if the driver wanted to park. I became alarmed and did not know how to make myself visible so that the driver sees me and stops before crashing into me. I wanted to wave frantically and then I woke up.

Any thoughts ?
artisticsolution

Re: Dreams

Post by artisticsolution »

duszek wrote:I wonder if some people here might be interested in interpreting dreams. I remember from school, when we were talking about Freud, that one can interpret one´s own dreams best. But sometimes a dream does not make any sense. So some reactions from other people can give one a clue.

A few days ago I dreamt of a dark night, no street lanterns (they seemed to have been switched off or run out of energy), lots of fog, me on a side-walk, and suddenly a car coming in a curve from the right and approaching me on the side-walk as if the driver wanted to park. I became alarmed and did not know how to make myself visible so that the driver sees me and stops before crashing into me. I wanted to wave frantically and then I woke up.

Any thoughts ?
Interesting. I like that you are so confident about telling us of your dream. I am no good at interpretations but I will have a crack. Let's see...you are in a fog. Could it be that you feel sometimes like others are more aware somehow? Do you feel lost in someway? A car coming at you? And you wish for the driver to see you? Hmmm...do you feel as if people don't know your boundaries? Or perhaps you wish for someone to know who you are on a deeper level but it scares you...because if they did they might want to destroy who you are?

I don't know...this is the best Freudian crap I can come up with. I will ask my mom...she lives for this stuff and is pretty good at it.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Um...this waving...You didn't happen to have a stick or a flashlight in your hand at the time in your dream?

duszek

Post by duszek »

Bill

I think that I had only my jacket and my backpack on, which have slight reflective lines on them.
I do not usually carry a stick or a flashlight with me.

AS

Yes, it makes sense what you say, but why should I be afraid of such "truths" about me and push them into the sub-conscious so that they emerge in dreams ? This is what puzzles me.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Another one, from long ago, I remember only the last scene:

A wall, beige or siena or light brown coloured, and a heart draws itself on the wall, only the lines, as if some invisible hand were drawing it. The lines are white.
zinnat13

Post by zinnat13 »

Hi duszek,

I have some understanding of dreams.
It is not possible to analyze dreams objectively very precisely because they are subjected to particular person and reference. One should only be a judge and inrepretator of his dreams. Yes, the broad sense can be drawn by others.

It is not possible to give the explanation of the occurrence of dreams in some lines.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6446&start=825

I would like to advise to go at page 56 and 57 of the above mentioned thread. There are only two posts of me there. Try to go through it and see that how it goes with you.

If you find yourself interested, then we may discuss it further.

with love,
sanjay
duszek

Post by duszek »

Do you always make things so complicated ?

:mrgreen:

Would it not be easier (and more polite and more respectful) to say in a nutshell what you have to say ?
duszek

Post by duszek »

Maybe you know a Veda about dreams ?
Then quote it please, and we can discuss it.
artisticsolution

duszek wrote:
AS

Yes, it makes sense what you say, but why should I be afraid of such "truths" about me and push them into the sub-conscious so that they emerge in dreams ? This is what puzzles me.
I am not so sure that all dream are from fear or pushed into our sub-conscious. Sometimes I just think we play out what is worrying us throughout the day. I think women have a tendency to worry more than men.

I often have dreams of painting murals in my dreams...or trying to protect my kids. I do worry about those things in real life. I don't think we can always stop certain thoughts. I think the best we can do is to talk them out to a friendly ear who can make us feel a tad better about it just being a worry and not something that might actually happen.

The heart dream sounded really pretty. What did you feel when it was being drawn?
duszek

Post by duszek »

I do not remember what I felt, but we usually wake up when the tension becomes too strong to bear.
It was a sort of wall in the open, like in southern France, in sunlit woods or among some bushes.

I wonder if one could not make a meditation visualizing meadows or lightings in woods or some other nice places and thus go on dreaming about such things when one is really asleep.
And if one is an auditive type one might hum some adagio or largo piece of music, which is calming the heart, and thus put oneself into a good dream.

How can people read thrillers before falling asleep is a mystery to me.

Surprisingly, everyone dreams when asleep. But what do people dream about if they are honest and if the confront the truth around them courageously ?
zinnat13

Post by zinnat13 »

Hi dusak,

In simple terms; dreams is the routine life of soul, which it lives the subtle dimension. But, it is shown with reference to the human life, thus, one can understand its symbolic meaning.

We do not remember our all dreams, but, only a very small portion of it; which we are allowed to remember.

Contrary to the general perception, which Freud proposed, dreams have nothing to do with our daily life, except that it used as a symbolic reference.

It cannot be simpler than that.

But, my friend, it is quite difficult to believe, especially for such a person, who is interested in philosophy. So, it is up to you.

with love,
sanjay
duszek

Post by duszek »

Hello Sanjay,

thanks a lot, this sounds interesting.
Freud´s theory is only a theory, so it has not been proven.
What you say sounds interesting and I would be happy to explore it in further detail.

So you say (or presume) that soul has a life on its own.
When we are awake our bodies live and our souls .... live only a little bit ?
And when we are asleep our bodies rest and our souls live on their own ?

If so, is the mind and the understanding part of the soul or not ?
Because you do not reason while you are asleep, you only feel and "see" and maybe "hear". But you do not argue in any way.

Regards from Little Ghost.
zinnat13

Post by zinnat13 »

Hi dusek,

First of all I must apologize being so late in replying but I have some time problem, hence, it is difficult for me to reply same day.

You said- So you say (or presume) that soul has a life on its own

Yes. The soul has a life of its own, just in the same way us, as a human, have. There is absolutely no difference in the basic fundamentals. But, the quantities; as the scales of both are different

You said-
When we are awake our bodies live and our souls .... live only a little bit ?
And when we are asleep our bodies rest and our souls live on their own ?
If so, is the mind and the understanding part of the soul or not ?
Because you do not reason while you are asleep, you only feel and "see" and maybe "hear". But you do not argue in any way.

As I earlier said that the scales are different. Let me clear myself.
There are two dimensions of existence. One is our physical and the second is the subtle one. We are not a singularity, but, a combination of two different personalities.
Humans have a body and a mind. In the same way, the soul has a body and a mind as well. So we have two bodies and two minds. Both bodies take rest but minds not.

Let us take first situation; when we are awake.

In this situation, human body and mind operates. The body of the soul sometimes operates and sometimes not. Being a subtle one, the body of the soul requires very less time to rest or refresh. So we can assume it almost awaken all the time. I am not sure about the numbers, but, I do not think that it requires more than an hour to recharge for next 24 hours, while we need 6-8 hours for that. The mind of the soul operates all the time. When its (soul’s) body moves, its mind works in full flow, but, when its body rests, the mind acts as a witness to human life.

Now the opposite situation; when we are asleep.

In this situation, human body takes rest, but mind not. Human mind acts as a witness to the activity of the soul. This is the reason why we are just able to ‘feel’ the dreams instead of ‘living’ them. In normal case, human mind does not able to influence its counterpart, but, it is not entirely impossible.We use to dream almost the whole time when asleep but remember a very small portion of it. The quantity of the dreams differs from person to person. It is directly related to the gap between the two minds. When we involve in any kind of such mental practice, which increases concentration, the gap narrows down, and thus, remembrance of dreams, tends to increase automatically.

If you want to remember more of your dreams, then these are some tips.

Do not get very tired during the day, both mentally and physically too as tired body and mind cannot remember the dreams.

Try to concentrate on you breathing for some time, when you are in the bed and trying to sleep.

Set two alarms; one for around 2 o’ clock in the night and one for 5 o’ clock in the morning. When the first alarm rings, sit up in the bed at once. Then first try to recall the last part of the dream and see if you are able to catch it. If find some success then put some stress on the mind and try hard to recall the event just before the end and so on. It is necessary to recall immediately after awakening, because, if 10-15 passed, you will lose the end and hence, the whole dream.

with love,
sanjay
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

duszek wrote:I wonder if some people here might be interested in interpreting dreams. I remember from school, when we were talking about Freud, that one can interpret one´s own dreams best. But sometimes a dream does not make any sense. So some reactions from other people can give one a clue.
i recently had a dream in which i was naked and tied up with barbed wire and was being buried alive

after waking up and waking up everyone in the house in the process my mom interpreted the dream saying no more watching five episodes of 'criminal minds' back to back for you

hate it when my mom is right
artisticsolution

duszek wrote: I wonder if one could not make a meditation visualizing meadows or lightings in woods or some other nice places and thus go on dreaming about such things when one is really asleep.
And if one is an auditive type one might hum some adagio or largo piece of music, which is calming the heart, and thus put oneself into a good dream.
When I was about 4 or 5 I had this horrible dream that a huge scorpion was chasing me around the kitchen table. I remember telling the scorpion that he was only a dream I was having and that I could wake myself up at any time. He told me I couldn't so to prove him wrong I woke myself up. That was the first time I realized I could have lucid dreams and make them go the way I want them to go. The only thing is...now when I am having a nightmare...and I tell myself it's a dream and to do something different...my mind deliberately take the dream to horrifying consequences....like I steer myself in that direction. Sometimes I have to wake up because I can't stop myself from steering toward madness!

Luckily, I don't have lucid dreams often.

I used to have horrible non lucid nightmares as a child. Very detailed. Once I dreamed A girl with long dark hair came to live with us. She was evil but only let her evilness be known to me. Everyone else thought she was a saint. Only I knew the truth. She was Satan. She showed me the mark 666. Anyway, she led everyone to believe I was the evil one! I was all alone...not one friend left to console me or keep me safe. Then I began to polish my nails (Or it could have been the girl polishing my nails? Can't remember.) I realized it was a design of Barney Rubble from the Flintstones perfectly painted on each nail. However, after my nails were completed...I took a magnifying glass and looked closer....hidden in the design of Barney Rubble was the mark 666. I nearly pissed my pants! I was horrified to find out that I was Satan! I ran outside and discovered it was snowing white and red roses. The red roses were dried up and shriveled...the white roses were pure and beautiful. They fell beautifully across the lawn like colorful snow. And then I saw something under the red and white blanket of roses. I bent down and brushed the roses away...it was a dead lamb.