A Possible Explanation to the Phenomenon of "Telepathy"

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

chaz wyman

Re: A Possible Explanation to the Phenomenon of "Telepathy"

Post by chaz wyman »

Cerveny wrote: There are phenomena that can not be "proven". They can be experienced, felt only. But there exist much very independent witnesses (spread in the place, spread in the ages) that describe connection of the conscious to the certain common nature system. It raises very interested questions: Has this system a boss (God)? Has this system some aim? What level of life has been such system created in? What such system need from us?…
No, if there is anything in this, it can be demonstrated, other wise it cannot be distinguished from imagination and fantasy.

There are no phenomena that cause the raising of any of these bogus questions.
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

That puts an end to love then.
John

Post by John »

Bernard wrote:That puts an end to love then.
Whether you think "love" is something spiritual or chemical are you saying that there are no observable phenomena associated with it?

Besides, I don't believe you're comparing like with like. People can either send and receive thoughts or they can't. If they can they should be able to prove it.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

Love is the demonstration of devotion.
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

John wrote:
Whether you think "love" is something spiritual or chemical are you saying that there are no observable phenomena associated with it?

There is indeed, but no hard proof. Its like physics proving life; it can't be gone about scientifically.

Besides, I don't believe you're comparing like with like. People can either send and receive thoughts or they can't. If they can they should be able to prove it.
Should? Why? Because the relevant authorities say so? If its an invisible phenomenon its stands to reason that proof thereof is also invisble - whether or not you believe in it that's what you are up against.
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

John wrote:

There is indeed, but no hard proof. Its like physics proving life; it can't be gone about scientifically.

Should? Why? Because the relevant authorities say so? If its an invisible phenomenon its stands to reason that proof thereof is also invisble - whether or not you believe in it that's what you are up against.
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

chaz wyman wrote:
Love is the demonstration of devotion.
A fine take on love there Chaz.

It reminds me of those holly hobby things my aunt filled her house with - not to say there is anything effeminate about your take.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q ... 97&bih=611
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

It also reminds me of the saying that work is love made visible.
John

Post by John »

Bernard wrote:
John wrote:

I meant "should be able to prove it" in the sense that it is capable of being proven.

Of course, a charlatan claiming a power that they don't want to be tested on will claim that it can't be proven.

Anyway, imagine for a moment someone saying "I can read minds but I refuse to tell you what information I'm getting." Is there any reason to believe them or even consider whether their claim is valid just because they're making it?
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

Well, to keep repeating my stance. The ordinary verification of proof, which is based on visible physical laws - the syntax which I believe you are using the term proof within - is not valid for alleged non-ordinary invisible phenomena. Believers and non-believers alike confuse realms.

In your example, if they give no evidence there is no grounds at all for proof.
Simple.

We don't live in a culture where such things occur or are accepted as occurring. People claim to have had such things occur, and, whether true or false, that automatically places them outside our accepted social framework. That in itself is a hardship. As for charlatans, and there are many, it is an acceptable way to behave in subcultures; much like running a whorehouse, or being a professional thief is acceptable. There are many detrimental things that are acceptable within the social order.
John

Post by John »

Let me put it another way then. If someone says they've had a telepathic, or other supernatural experience, then I accept that it's not necessarily reasonable to ask them to prove it but they need to accept that it's not necessarily reasonable for me to believe them either. If however they claim to have such experiences on an ongoing, though perhaps unpredictable basis, or claim to be able to control their ability then it can be subjected to testing.
Izzywizzy

Post by Izzywizzy »

Arising wrote
If however they claim to have such experiences on an ongoing, though perhaps unpredictable basis, or claim to be able to control their ability then it can be subjected to testing.
UM what day and age does Arising live in? :roll:
Telepathy has been scientifically tested since the 18th century with many positive scientific results I might add.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Well the day varies upon a seven day cycle but the age is the 21thC.

Next you'll be telling me ectoplasm exists!

My philosophical position towards 'telepathy', if it means mysterious particles or brain-states being passed between minds, is that we need to redefine or revisit 'telepathy' then. As if people are reporting such things then I guess there'll be a better explanation than the one that 'science' appears to have found unrepeatable. If there are such events then I think Jung rather than Physics would provide an answer. Stats may as well as selective bias appears a very probable explanation in the reporting of such events.
p.s.
I think you may have misquoted me, could you please check as I do not remember where I said the words.
Izzywizzy

Post by Izzywizzy »

Arising wrote
Next you'll be telling me
If this reply was in response to my post Arising I suggest you at least try and google the scientific evidence on telepathy since the 18th century before making your bold claims that you can`t substantiate.
John

Post by John »

Izzywizzy wrote:Arising wrote
If however they claim to have such experiences on an ongoing, though perhaps unpredictable basis, or claim to be able to control their ability then it can be subjected to testing.
UM what day and age does Arising live in? :roll:
Dunno but he didn't make the statement, I did.

I find it amusing that you think the default stance should be acceptance of telepathy though and that it's been "proven".
Izzywizzy wrote: Telepathy has been scientifically tested since the 18th century with many positive scientific results I might add.
I'm not aware of any compelling evidence but even where experiments do tend to lend credence to the idea they never seem to be reproducible which makes you wonder whether the original was flawed or there was deception going on.