'How to read...

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

mhoraine

'How to read...

Post by mhoraine »

Hume' by Simon Blackburn, 2008, Granta Publications.

A great little book, at just over 100 pages; a way to understand Hume 'properly' (?), looking at 10 of his most important moments.

I'm not sure about ' How to...' books, when it comes to philosophical interpretations; however, this wee gem helped me ken the cause for Hume's 300th Birthday Celebration...

Happy Birthday, Humie !
Izzywizzy

Re: 'How to read...

Post by Izzywizzy »

I have often thought some people can read the most innocent commentary and take it out of context..how to read what others say on the web in my opinion , means asking them questions and not just jumping to extreme conclusions. Sigh if only those SOME reading our posts in this forum could at least answer them without judgement aforehand..but then I expect intelligence where there is none. :wink:
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

.......................Image

I hear words, like revenge, are best served cold?

...hope you're hungry.

I have often thought some people can read the most innocent commentary and take it out of context..how to read what others say on the web in my opinion , means asking them questions and not just jumping to extreme conclusions. Sigh if only those SOME reading our posts in this forum could at least answer them without judgement aforehand..but then I expect intelligence where there is none. :wink:

Izzywizzy
, when you wrote, I expect intelligence where there is none in your above commentary are not you yourself, jumping to extreme conclusions? Isn't that the very thing that makes you Sigh?

In this original post, don't you take, the most innocent commentary and take it out of context?

Actually, I read your post on this forum without judgement beforehand, which leads me to wonder your words, if only those SOME reading our posts in this forum could at least answer them without judgement aforehand... ?

I have often thought, is there any forethought on your part when it appears, there is none?

..........................................Image

Izzywizzy

Post by Izzywizzy »

Bill its always sensible to at least post the links to the pics you display otherwise its a breech of their copyright !! foethought did you say??? or foRethought?? um let me think ah yes you need that in bucket loads.
Practice what you preach young man.

You have now
s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d and distorted this entire thread :roll:

EG

http://garageconditioning.files.wordpre ... 11/eat.jpg

http://suitespot.mynextsuite.com/Site_I ... ad_jpg.jpg

what more can be said, thanks for proving my point for me
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Izzywizzy...I post images here at the Philosophy Now Forums for enjoyment. There is no personal gain.

If I see an expressed copyrighted image I try to avoid it.

You need to realize that anything, once it is posted onto the internet, is in the public domain.

It's that simple.

In a way, I understand your sense or need for ownership. Even with pics. It just doesn't exist. Not here on the internet.

Nothing can be done Izzywizzy.

Izzywizzy

Post by Izzywizzy »

In a way, I understand your sense or need for ownership
Bill "CAn`t" track..You can sense what you like but it doesn`t begin to address what I need or who I am..you on the other hand persist in your psycho babblings about me and have yet again ignored the opening poster Moraines book recommendation. In a sense I guess you need to feel you have control over me and my postings..the nonsense is you haven`t got a clue about me your self appointned pontiff in analysing or addressing me is delusional and ludicrous ..waste someone elses time i`m done listening to your drivel. BIG YAWN

TIP instead of derailing Mhoraines thread try addressing it, opps just an intelligent thought there, sorry forgot you don`t want intelligence and reason.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Wasn't it Hume that said, "Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions."

Hume concluded that desire rather than reason governed human behavior.

Izzywizzy, your TIP,
TIP instead of derailing Mhoraines thread try addressing it, opps just an intelligent thought there, sorry forgot you don`t want intelligence and reason

to goad me into using intelligence & reason is exactly the opposite of what David Hume spent his life and career defending.

Izzywizzy, you have somehow have managed to represent the anti-thesis of Hume and the intent of this thread.

Well done.
slow clap

Izzywizzy,
you have yet again ignored the opening poster Moraines book recommendation. In a sense I guess you need to feel I have control over you and your postings..the nonsense is I haven`t got a clue about me being your self appointned pontiff in analysing or addressing delusional and ludicrous posts of yours. I'm not done wasting your time. You're not done listening to my drivel.

As I said above, ...hope you're hungry.

Thank you Izzywizzy. That was fun!

You are genuinely a funny person.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Izzywizzy wrote:..but then I expect intelligence where there is none. :wink:
Not a very intelligent position then?

What does it say about ones intelligence when one doesn't answer questions?
Izzywizzy

Post by Izzywizzy »

What does it say about ones intelligence when one doesn't answer questions?
you answered your own question , you tell me lol

on a serious note Bill is in BREECH of photo copyrights
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Izzywizzy...I post images here at the Philosophy Now Forums for enjoyment. There is no personal gain.

You need to realize that anything, once it is posted onto the internet, is in the public domain.

It's that simple.

Why do you keep asserting this?

Izzywizzy I believe you are making serious accusations towards Rick Lewis, the owner of this site and ΩMod, & AMod the moderators of this site. From what I understand, you are stating that they are in BREECH of photo copyrights.

I think you are wrong. Totally wrong, in your intent and in your direction.

On the behalf of Rick Lewis, ΩMod, and AMod I wish you would STOP!

Stop or proceed with your copyright infringement claims.

Izzywizzy

Post by Izzywizzy »

Bill trys his own brand of red herring my way? will he ever track or keep on track?
Izzywizzy I believe you are making serious accusations towards Rick Lewis, the owner of this site and ΩMod, & AMod the moderators of this site. From what I understand, you are stating that they are in BREECH of photo copyrights.

NOPE my accusation which is serious was at you BILL..you posted others photos without links not the site moderators, but I understand they don`t see a breech in what you did..you need to stop trying to duck out of what you did, anyone who has copyright to those pics and decides to call you on it has every right to do so...you passed them off as your own
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

.................................Image

An advertisement for copyright and patent preparation services from 1906, when copyright registration formalities were still required in the US.

Ahhhhhhh....those were the days...

Izzywizzy I stand by every word I have stated in relation to image copyright infringement.

If you choose to read the link I am providing you will see that you jeopardize Rick Lewis and the Philosophy Now moderators. These responsible parties are the in the front line of any possible copyright infringement associated with this site.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement

Thankfully, you are incorrect in your assumptions.

But I still request, on behalf of Rick Lewis and the moderators here - STOP these dangerous false assertions!

Izzywizzy.
..I post images here at the Philosophy Now Forums for enjoyment. There is no personal gain.

It's that simple.

Why do you keep asserting this?

I think you are wrong. Totally wrong, in your intent and in your direction.

On the behalf of Rick Lewis, ΩMod, and AMod I wish you would STOP!

Stop or proceed with your copyright infringement claims.

.............................Image making Rick & the mods nervous!

You are acting foolish and you may accidentally hurt someone or hurt someone associated with this site.

Izzywizzy

Post by Izzywizzy »

Now Bill is trying to be funny

his washington post is PIRATED as stated in properties

at the end of the day bill you used those pics to illustrate me..which is your blatant lies..then you used psyco babblings to ascertain who i am..who the *uck are you? if you want personal attack bring it on i will retaliate. You bet cha
Last edited by Izzywizzy on Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

Izzywizzy wrote: NOPE my accusation which is serious was at you BILL..you posted others photos without links not the site moderators, but I understand they don`t see a breech in what you did..you need to stop trying to duck out of what you did, anyone who has copyright to those pics and decides to call you on it has every right to do so...you passed them off as your own
This is the most petty bull I have heard. Pictures posted on the internet are public domain. Bill is not using these pics for monetary gain. Anyway, how do you know he doesn't have permission from the artist?

I think the copyright laws need to be rewritten to be more compatible in everyday life. The internet is too damn big to worry about such petty things as someone posting and discussing a picture on some random site. Too many man hours to police the world. Instead there should be some guidelines that work. Pictures that are used to for advertisements or to resell should definitely have to have the artists permission, but as far as seeing something on the internet and using it to display and emotion or a point in context about a certain subject is not and should not be a breech of copyright.

Let me ask you izzy...when you go visit a monument, such as the Eiffel Tower and you take a picture to show your friends is that breech of copyright laws? Did you get permission from the artist?

It's just this mind numbing petty bullshit that I can't take anymore.

Jesus...can anyone else here tell that I am having a really really bad mural project from hell? LOL

I am just sooo down artistically I can't bare it. Sorry to take it out on you Izzy. You just happened to say something that got my artistic panties in a bunch. Do not pay attention to the person behind the curtain....
Izzywizzy

Post by Izzywizzy »

Pictures posted on the internet are public domain
That doesn`t mean pretend they represent me I am not public domain you are so stupid its pathetic btw reported for personally attacking me yet again and derailing Mhoraine post yet again..i am just defending myself here

Just recently on news at ten in UK a lady told us all how some fake site used her pic declaring she was gay in syria and rebelling against islam laws,..the disruption this caused her life was terrible..she wasn`t the named girl in the pic..i am not that woman you posted pic of either..you arent trying to be funny bill you are trying to insult me and succeeding curtesy of site moderators allowing your petty nastiness.to derail this Mohraines thread.
Last edited by Izzywizzy on Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:43 am, edited 3 times in total.