Philosophy Now magazine Suggestions Box

Latest news of Philosophy Now

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Thundril

Re: Suggestions Box

Post by Thundril »

Thanks Dunce & John. Looks like a good option.
spike

Post by spike »

I think it's time that PN does a gay and lesbian issue. Perhaps it has already been suggested?
zimmer80203`

Post by zimmer80203` »

Like a few others that posted suggestions, I am deeply sadden by the direction philosophy has taken and the public's perception of it. It's a shame so many "philosophers" have gone into advertising and public relations. I put the word in quotes because of how they use what they leaned in college.

I recall taking off work for a year during the mid-1980's to travel the US and interview some of the greatest minds our country has. I don't know how many times I asked: "Who and where are the great philosophers today?"

Personally I have seen vast improvements in students learning abilities, social skills and huge reduction in disorderly behavior when students are taught philosophy and how to think for themselves. Unfortunately very few schools do this. Thank God, they have begone to teach emotional intelligence.

I would like to see an article on denial (self-deception) as well as emotional intelligence. On the surface they appear to be unrelated to philosophy but based upon my experience they are a vital part of it for they greatly assist one another.

Please excuse my random thoughts. No doubt that you are more qualified than I as far as what to have in your publication.
spike

Post by spike »

Why not an issue on History and the Philosophy of History.

This article presents an excellent example: http://www.jhss.org/articleview.php?artid=122
avianaL

Post by avianaL »

There's also a Kindle app on Android mobile phones
That's really wonderful and talking about apps on Android mobile phones I've read that Google Chrome now compatible with the Android system. Google's well-liked Chrome browser is now compatible with the Android system -- kind of. The new version will only run on gadgets using Android 4.0, which counts out most users. Article source: Google Chrome now available for Ice Cream Sandwich. Android is an open platform and free. So many manufacturers that can design a variety of software is loaded on the Android system.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

In what country is PN hosted?
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Do you mean, where is the Philosophy Now website hosted, or do you mean, where is the Philosophy Now editorial office located?

The former is in the USA and the latter is in the UK (though we also have a US Board of Editors).
spike

Post by spike »

I once suggested that Philosophy Now do an issue on architecture. Here is how the subject might be presented: http://rosswolfe.wordpress.com/2013/09/ ... more-12208
marjoramblues

Post by marjoramblues »

Last edited by marjoramblues on Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spike

Post by spike »

I don't think that Philosophy Now has taken anybodies suggestion under consideration.
marjoramblues

Post by marjoramblues »

Last edited by marjoramblues on Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

- cozy chat vs modern philosophy

- most branches of philosophy is outdated

- 97% of all philosophers are cozy chatters, totally unsuited for basic philosophy

- why are there not jobs for philosophers?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

spike wrote:I once suggested that Philosophy Now do an issue on architecture. Here is how the subject might be presented: http://rosswolfe.wordpress.com/2013/09/ ... more-12208

On a smaller scale, there could be a discussion of how the design reflects the philosophy of how the structure is used. In my own house the living room, (library above, open to the room below), dinning room, and kitchen are all open to each other with the idea that a large party of people could be there and not be separated from each other even when in different rooms. One builder stated that with our sq. footage we should have 4 bedrooms not just 3, as we do. Many architects design a house with a laundry of features to be included, based on sq, feet, no matter what the new owners want.
Lifestyle Business

Post by Lifestyle Business »

I second the idea of an issue on architecture. I was moved by the study of sacred architecture in the ancient near east...buildings are pregnant with meaning, and structures inform so much about how one interacts with the world.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

I wouldn't mind seeing an article on quantum mechanics interpretations, if there was one it is certain I would subscribe to the magazine in a heart beat. I does like physics, and if it's the philosophy of science it makes me all giddy. ;)