A Possible Explanation to the Phenomenon of "Telepathy"

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Aetixintro

Re: A Possible Explanation to the Phenomenon of "Telepathy"

Post by Aetixintro »

I'll try to locate it even!
Aetixintro by the old Philosophy Now forum wrote:Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:29 pm Post subject: Re: is telepathy possible?

Hi

I would like to defend the position that Telepathy exists.
Especially, this is an answer to I_blame_blame.

First, the existence of telepathy in science is based on particle physics, namely quantum mechanics and the phenomenon of twin particles. Instances where 2 particles have the same condition or the same spin of up to great distances apart.

Secondly, it is referred to the Amygdala-area in the brain where a plain scientific test pinpointed the active braincells while in 'telepathic' state or where the subject is experiencing telepathy.

Thirdly, telepathic witnesses to crimes have been used with great success in aiding the police detectives. An experienced police-detective said he would not hesitate to recommend psychics in aiding the police to solve serious crime. There are plenty of the series, just watch Discovery Channel.

Fourthly, telepathy has been connected to the ability to foresee events. That is when one is thinking of the future, the ability is somewhat similar to projecting what is going to happen. Same again with amygdala-related tasks.

Fifthly, I recall something from the BBC News just recently where one is to review the position one has on people hearing voices, not only those mentally ill. This is all I have to say for now. Science will probably teach us all what there is to it in some time, but for now I believe in telepathy and many with me. Thanks. :)
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

Aetixintro wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:Other alive issues:
Astrology[*]
Millenarianism
Islam[*]
Voodoo
Aliens and their anal probes
Elvis seen in supermarket
Possession by djinns
Poltergeists and hauntings
Jesus and Mary appearing on pieces of cheese and toast and other edible items such as CheesyPoops
To my knowledge, astrology is treated seriously as the anti-case of science. It has no valid standing for being regarded seriously by itself. Can you provide references, please, of the kind "psychology’s most respected journals"?
Regarding Islam, it's only or mostly (99%), regarded as a serious issue for theology!
The rest of your list is junk and you know it, you clown (for all to see)!!! And as usual, you don't bother to support your own claims with references, you idiot!!! Please, don't write to this thread anymore, chaz wyman, because you're not serious and it's evident!!! Goodbye to you!

Cheers! :)
Astrology was a science. It was invented in ancient Babylon and employed primarily as a means to know when to plant crops. Astrologers were so important that they became very powerful and used their knowledge to political effect. From the time of Caesar the appearance of a comet at his death was enough for the practice to spread like wildfire throughout the empire.
Even Galileo was not immune to its allure and used his discovery of the 4 moons of Jupiter to announce the ascendancy of his patron family and their 4 children.
The reason why star study is not, like bioLOGY, and geoLOGY, also called astroLOGY too is because of this peculiar historical phenomenon of its being an early but now discredited science. Its science, Jim but not as we know it!!!
There is an unfortunate tendency in science to accept the underlying assumptions upon which it is based and then to gather data in light of that assumption. When the assumption is a bad one; such as the stars hold the key to certain cryptic relations between the celestial bodies and terrestrial life, this can result in thousands of years of bad science.

Some branches of evolutionary theory show this tendency as they base their arguments on the false assumption that; traits are selected FOR their fitness; when in fact they are selected by their fitness. This has led us to monumental pseudo-sciences of memetics and evolutionary psychology, which are both self-justifying obsession of no use to man nor beast.
John

Post by John »

Aetixintro wrote: Thirdly, telepathic witnesses to crimes have been used with great success in aiding the police detectives. An experienced police-detective said he would not hesitate to recommend psychics in aiding the police to solve serious crime. There are plenty of the series, just watch Discovery Channel.
I think you're clutching at straws with the science but you're also accepting sensationalist media reports uncritically as evidence of telepathy or ESP. Actually hard facts on where psychics have helped solve crimes is hard to come by and there are many reports of psychics wasting police time or sending investigations in the wrong direction.

A couple of links on this:

Psychics: Do Police Departments Really Use Them?

Investigative Research and Extrasensory Perception

The conclusion from the last one is worth quoting:
Although psychic readings and crimes make interesting material and sell well to readers and viewers, investigative journalists have to dig deeper and check with competent organs if it is true or not that leads coming from psychics really helped investigations. Psychics are feeling more comfortable to contact authorities with their psychic clues about crimes, and it causes police to over work and waste vital resources in their searches. In 2007, when two elderly people went missing in Ohio – USA, no one knew what could have happened to them. It was heavily publicised and authorities mobilized the public for information. More than 30 psychics came up with information that overloaded the police as several leads were investigated. When the bodies were found, circumstances, location and everything about the event proved all psychic’s clues to be inaccurate.
When it is published in any media that ‘psychics helped investigation’ without reporting if the psychic’s action really generated leads that solved the case, the information “helped investigation” seems to mislead the reader into believing that psychics have ‘powers’, but although it is impressive when psychics are accurate in their readings, these powers have actually never been proved."
Of course, there are plenty of people defending the psychic industry but it's an industry full of fraudsters.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

Aetixintro wrote:
I'll try to locate it even!
Aetixintro by the old Philosophy Now forum wrote:Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:29 pm Post subject: Re: is telepathy possible?

Hi

I would like to defend the position that Telepathy exists.
Especially, this is an answer to I_blame_blame.

First, the existence of telepathy in science is based on particle physics, namely quantum mechanics and the phenomenon of twin particles. Instances where 2 particles have the same condition or the same spin of up to great distances apart.

Secondly, it is referred to the Amygdala-area in the brain where a plain scientific test pinpointed the active braincells while in 'telepathic' state or where the subject is experiencing telepathy.

Thirdly, telepathic witnesses to crimes have been used with great success in aiding the police detectives. An experienced police-detective said he would not hesitate to recommend psychics in aiding the police to solve serious crime. There are plenty of the series, just watch Discovery Channel.

I'll let you into a secret about the "DISCOVERY CHANNEL". The discovery channel is to science what the National Inquirer is to serious journalism.
Try and adjust your brain to fact by ignoring fiction.

Fourthly, telepathy has been connected to the ability to foresee events. That is when one is thinking of the future, the ability is somewhat similar to projecting what is going to happen. Same again with amygdala-related tasks.

Fifthly, I recall something from the BBC News just recently where one is to review the position one has on people hearing voices, not only those mentally ill. This is all I have to say for now. Science will probably teach us all what there is to it in some time, but for now I believe in telepathy and many with me. Thanks. :)
Aetixintro

Post by Aetixintro »

I take this to heart immediately,
...but it's an industry full of fraudsters.
!!!

I have no wish to approve of idiots and I have no wish to "create" a false science or a science that not strictly adheres to the HDM qualifying method!!!

My only point is that telepathy is under serious evaluation and this extends beyond your sceptical sources. No, this is indeed a fine, academic enterprise and you should take it easy and wait to see what the good people come up with. And the day, if ever, they manage to produce clear correlation the world will celebrate it!

Relax about it!!! (And I have no wish to carry this discussion further on grounds of questioning the existence of telepathy.)

Cheers! :)

Note: actually, the main point with the above post was to show that I've been on the case of telepathy for consistent 5 years now! Good or what?
John

Post by John »

Aetixintro wrote: My only point is that telepathy is under serious evaluation and this extends beyond your sceptical sources. No, this is indeed a fine, academic enterprise and you should take it easy and wait to see what the good people come up with. And the day, if ever, they manage to produce clear correlation the world will celebrate it!
If they manage to do that I'll take it seriously but until then I'll remain sceptical.
Cerveny

Post by Cerveny »

The time does not run by the same speed at different places (of the space). There is not exact rule to prohibit it. Thus frontier of time "now", the universe border can be waving. From time to time we can read the consideration the mind can access (perhaps acts to) the quantum phenomena. I believe the some kind of concentration of mind can read (perhaps to push) the time in advance and create descript waves. By my mean just such process allows extrasensory communication between live creatures :)
i blame blame

Post by i blame blame »

John wrote:
I think you're clutching at straws with the science but you're also accepting sensationalist media reports uncritically as evidence of telepathy or ESP. Actually hard facts on where psychics have helped solve crimes is hard to come by and there are many reports of psychics wasting police time or sending investigations in the wrong direction.

A couple of links on this:

Psychics: Do Police Departments Really Use Them?

Investigative Research and Extrasensory Perception

The conclusion from the last one is worth quoting:

Of course, there are plenty of people defending the psychic industry but it's an industry full of fraudsters.
Surely claiming "psychic did it" is a witness protection strategy.
John

Post by John »

i blame blame wrote: Surely claiming "psychic did it" is a witness protection strategy.
I hadn't thought of that although it would seem that very few, if any, police actually say "psychic did it" anyway.
socratus

Post by socratus »

Parapsychology.
#
May 14, 2009. 10:46 am |
Categories: Army and Marines, DarpaWatch, Science!

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/05 ... athy-push/

Pentagon Preps Soldier Telepathy Push.

Forget the battlefield radios, the combat PDAs or even infantry hand signals.
When the soldiers of the future want to communicate, they’ll read each other’s minds.
At least, that’s the hope of researchers at the Pentagon’s mad-science division Darpa.
The agency’s budget for the next fiscal year includes $4 million to start up a program
called Silent Talk.
The goal is to “allow user-to-user communication on the battlefield without the use
of vocalized speech through analysis of neural signals.” That’s on top of the $4
million the Army handed out last year to the University of California to investigate
the potential for computer-mediated telepathy.
Before being vocalized, speech exists as word-specific neural signals in the mind.
Darpa wants to develop technology that would detect these signals of “pre-speech,”
analyze them, and then transmit the statement to an intended interlocutor. Darpa plans
to use EEG to read the brain waves. It’s a technique they’re also testing in a project to
devise mind-reading binoculars that alert soldiers to threats faster the conscious mind
can process them.
The project has three major goals, according to Darpa. First, try to map a person’s
EEG patterns to his or her individual words. Then, see if those patterns are generalizable
— if everyone has similar patterns. Last, “construct a fieldable pre-prototype that would
decode the signal and transmit over a limited range.”
The military has been funding a handful of mind-tapping technology recently, and
already have monkeys capable of telepathic limb control. Telepathy may also have
advantages beyond covert battlefield chatter. Last year, the National Research Council
and the Defense Intelligence Agency released a report suggesting that neuroscience
might also be useful to “make the enemy obey our commands.” The first step, though,
may be getting a grunt to obey his officer’s remotely-transmitted thoughts.
– Katie Drummond and Noah Shachtman

ALSO:
DARPA to Map Monkey Brains
Feds Turn to ‘Brain Music’ to Boost Emergency Worker Performance …
Darpa: Heat + Energy = Brains. Now Make Us Some.
Top Pentagon Scientists Fear Brain-Modified Foes
Monkey Brain Controls Walking ‘Bot
Pentagon Begins Fake Cat Brain Project
Darpa’s Math Quiz: Model the Brain, Find Biology’s Laws, Solve …
Pentagon’s PCs Bend to Your Brain
Binoculars that Tap the Brain
Army Funds ‘Synthetic Telepathy’ Research
Darpa Wants Brainy Machines to Replace Bored G.I.s
==================================== . .
#
But modern parapsychologists ( as well as ancients wise men )
know to transfer their thoughts without nanotechnological machines.

Books:
Uri.
/ Andrija Puharich /
Geller effect.
/ Guy Lyon Playfair /
Books about Wolf Messing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_Messing
Etc.
======= . .
Conclusion.
Our brain , our brain waves, our thought have great potential power.
But we don’t know to use it and turn it into active power.
============= . .
Best wishes.
Israel Sadovnik Socratus.
================================.
Cerveny

Post by Cerveny »

Every sensible man/woman has met the telepathy. You certainly have had an experience you felt someone to watch you nevertheless you can not see him/her directly... at least.

If you free the brain activity of any disturbed body's and memory's signals you can recognize, you can be connected to higher (superior) system by the same way as PC is connected to the Internet. In this case you feel unreasonable strong joy, particularly in the free nature. Many authors, mystics, shamans and experimenters describe it by the exact same manner.... It seems that human ability is inherited for the "dark" times. I am not sure why Darwin's mechanism still supports it. I am not sure the reason, the purpose. Are we part of some super organism still?
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

From the cleargreen.com website. I thought it was a good take, a broader view on what it is to hear in an alternative way.

Our doings in the daily world, don Juan Matus said, often obscure our awareness of another mysterious and interconnected world that awaits our discovery. Not-doing, he said, is the art of stepping back from our habits, and allowing our perception and experience to expand to areas we might normally overlook—gazing at the shadows of leaves, rather than the leaves themselves—listening to the sounds of birdsong and wind, or a conversation, or a piece of music, rather than the sounds of our inner dialogue; or experiencing the taste, touch, or scent of something before the sight of it. This naturally leads us to what he called the art of dreaming: the art of shifting states of awareness in a conscious and volitional way.

One of the means that the seers of ancient Mexico used to stir the dreaming attention, he said, was through the art of listening deeply to the sounds of the world: wind, rain, thunder, rushing river, ocean wave, wolf cry, one's own breath—or through music inspired by those sounds, made with instruments of clay, shell, horn, hide, reed and wood, as well as their own voices, calling up landscapes of sound that dreamers could enter with their full awareness.

And in those dream journeys, don Juan said, the dreamers may see visions of other worlds—yet what was equally important for them was that they hear as well as see these worlds.

Along these lines, enthomusicologist, Dr. Abraham Caceres states:

It has often been said that Western cultures are visually oriented whereas "traditional" cultures are auditory oriented. Whereas this dichotomy is obviously somewhat simplistic, there is some truth to this idea. Various authors, such as Walter J. Ong, for example, have suggested that the invention of writing and the proliferation of literacy are some of the more important changes which pushed Western cultures towards the emphasis of the written and the visual ...''the ideas of morning glories that speak or mushrooms that sing sound rather strange to our ears, but are perfectly natural to the Nahuatl or Mazatec.''

Feeling, don Juan said, comes from integration of all the senses, rather than our habit of emphasizing one over the others. Ancient man, our ancestor, spent more time in this state of feeling, or not-doing.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

Bernard wrote:From the cleargreen.com website. I thought it was a good take, a broader view on what it is to hear in an alternative way.

Our doings in the daily world, don Juan Matus said, often obscure our awareness of another mysterious and interconnected world that awaits our discovery. Not-doing, he said, is the art of stepping back from our habits, and allowing our perception and experience to expand to areas we might normally overlook—gazing at the shadows of leaves, rather than the leaves themselves—listening to the sounds of birdsong and wind, or a conversation, or a piece of music, rather than the sounds of our inner dialogue; or experiencing the taste, touch, or scent of something before the sight of it. This naturally leads us to what he called the art of dreaming: the art of shifting states of awareness in a conscious and volitional way.

One of the means that the seers of ancient Mexico used to stir the dreaming attention, he said, was through the art of listening deeply to the sounds of the world: wind, rain, thunder, rushing river, ocean wave, wolf cry, one's own breath—or through music inspired by those sounds, made with instruments of clay, shell, horn, hide, reed and wood, as well as their own voices, calling up landscapes of sound that dreamers could enter with their full awareness.

And in those dream journeys, don Juan said, the dreamers may see visions of other worlds—yet what was equally important for them was that they hear as well as see these worlds.

Along these lines, enthomusicologist, Dr. Abraham Caceres states:

It has often been said that Western cultures are visually oriented whereas "traditional" cultures are auditory oriented. Whereas this dichotomy is obviously somewhat simplistic, there is some truth to this idea. Various authors, such as Walter J. Ong, for example, have suggested that the invention of writing and the proliferation of literacy are some of the more important changes which pushed Western cultures towards the emphasis of the written and the visual ...''the ideas of morning glories that speak or mushrooms that sing sound rather strange to our ears, but are perfectly natural to the Nahuatl or Mazatec.''

Feeling, don Juan said, comes from integration of all the senses, rather than our habit of emphasizing one over the others. Ancient man, our ancestor, spent more time in this state of feeling, or not-doing.
This is all good stuff to which I would add my own interest in the 'trance-dance' of the Bushmen of the Kalahari, their rock art; the conceptual connections with European Rock art , and the links with Entoptic Patterns that can be experienced with both and in drug induced states of consciousness.

However, none of this adds up to prescience, or mind to mind communication. In short none of this concerns the topic of the thread; telepathy.

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/avenu ... toptic.htm
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

I think it helps open up what we are looking into - or attempting to. Due to the importance of language to modern humans, telepathy is associated with language and therefore sound. An exploration of sound in the manner outlined in the quote could be a strong aid to anyone interested in telepathy.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

Bernard wrote:I think it helps open up what we are looking into - or attempting to. Due to the importance of language to modern humans, telepathy is associated with language and therefore sound. An exploration of sound in the manner outlined in the quote could be a strong aid to anyone interested in telepathy.
Never mind.