The Heart Has Its Reasons

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

The Heart Has Its Reasons

Post by Philosophy Now »

Typist

Re: The Heart Has Its Reasons

Post by Typist »

The relationship between philosophy and emotion is an interesting topic Rick, thanks for sharing the article.

I liked the part at the end, where he reported that his professor reminded him that he always argued passionately for dispassion. The human mind is capable of containing many interesting ironies, which is much of what makes it so entertaining.

Stand up comics are very interesting, imho. Most of them are pretty mediocre, which I guess is true in any field. But when they have the gift, they perform a fascinating service.

They'll stand on stage and say some ridiculous nonsense with a straight face, and an explosion of hilarity will erupt from the audience. This somehow seems a profound commentary on the human mind's relationship with reason, but I can't quite put my finger on just what it's saying.
spike

Re: The Heart Has Its Reasons

Post by spike »

I am glad Philosophy Now posts articles here from its magazine because generally they are ones I have overlooked or thought weren't interesting.

As I read this piece by Joel Marks I thought of Frankenstein's monster. One thing the monster was endowed with was emotions. He seemed a bundle of emotions. He did have a heart. He was infatuated with life and appreciated its beautiful creations. He loved to see the day break. He was taken by his neighbors and concerned for their welfare. And through his emotions he could see Reason. But he could not reason why his creator made him ugly and why he was shunned by the world, which made him angry. He had a desire for a mate. What he felt made us emotional and sympathetic to his plight. Most of us empathized with him. In a way what we felt for him validating us.

It is emotions that animated the monster. That is reason enough for having emotions. Otherwise there would be not reason to us or for us.