Pavlov: and the desolate reductionism of science

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sculptor

Pavlov: and the desolate reductionism of science

Post by Sculptor »

Pavlov constructed his famous experiement conditioning dogs to salivate at the sound of a bell.

He discoered what is know as the Conditioned Reflex

What Pavlov missed in his conclusion is that there was a conscious being between the bell and the salivary glands of the dog's mouth. He reduced the act to a "conditioned response".

However what really happened is that on hearing the bell, the dog remembers that when a bell rings he gets food. He then thinks about food and anticipates it. This is called imaginition. The act of that conscious stimulation is what makes his mouth water. It is my view that Pavlov should never have been allowed any where near dogs or other sensitive animals.

The warm, sensitive, thinking and imaginitive animal is taken out of the equation and thought of as a black box of behaviourlism.
It will be noted that, xperiments on orphaned children, involving drilling a hole in their cheeks and applying electric shocks, were continued by his assistant Nikolay Krasnogorsky.

Nice...
Impenitent

Re: Pavlov: and the desolate reductionism of science

Post by Impenitent »

promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

I had no idea Pavlov was drillin holes in the childrens. Wtf kind of shit is that? I used to be cool with Pav but this changes everything.
alan1000

Post by alan1000 »

It is always a good idea to read posts carefully (I'm talking to you, Promethean75).

The initial post, by and large, reflects modern orthodox thinking. What is the actual philosophical question being posed here?
accelafine

Post by accelafine »

But of course it's ok to shoot dogs and burn them alive as long as it suits your political agenda. Got it.