For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: Meaning?

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:29 am
attofishpi wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:58 am
popeye1945 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:06 am

You miss the point, that there is meaning only to biological life and biological consciousness, there are no disciplines that are not dependent upon the meanings biology provides. Again biology is the measures and the meanings of all things. Subjectively you are the center of your universe and you bestow meaning upon it, meanings are the effects the universe has upon you.
You miss my point, that you have circled back to what the context Harbal in his OP has asked without actually providing an answer. Sure, conscious minds are required to quiz the "meaning of life" - but you still haven't answered that question.
This is why I don't start many threads: I ask a question, and everybody answers a different one. Maybe I'm just not very good at explaining things. Still, as long as folks are turning up for a chat, that's something. 🙂
Yes, I hear ya - my 1st June March for British Freedoms thread has turned into me be called a racist and a pedophile (the accusers providing NO evidence) - we are no longer allowed to be proud of our British heritage - we are classed as "right wing" and racists - ridiculous.

So! To remain on topic with what I just stated and not proving your point :wink:

The meaning of life is to be proud of being British (if you are not British, the meaning of life is to be proud of your own country\culture - IF you cannot feel proud of your country\culture then fix it!!)

1st JUNE - British people unite, ALL races are welcome that believe in British values and culture..as stated in the video.

Featuring Tommy Robinson, Danny Tommo & Dean Neil on the upcoming London Event 🇬🇧
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Z1D1OHw28&t=1135s
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

attofishpi wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:56 pm

FFS popeye - The ultimate science we have is physics - IT is the measure that GIVES any "meaning" to these "all things"/

Biology is the 3rd tier (after chemistry)

Your conclusion that absent of consciousness the world (*lets state the universe*) is utterly meaningless requires you to provide that CONSCIOUSNESS has meaning,

Go ahead. :mrgreen:
You miss the point, that there is meaning only to biological life and biological consciousness, there are no disciplines that are not dependent upon the meanings biology provides. Again biology is the measures and the meanings of all things. Subjectively you are the center of your universe and you bestow meaning upon it, meanings are the effects the universe has upon you.
You miss my point, that you have circled back to what the context Harbal in his OP has asked without actually providing an answer. Sure, conscious minds are required to quiz the "meaning of life" - but you still haven't answered that question.
There is no meaning to life, but that was not the question, to begin with, the source of all meaning is the body's experiences: it is cold because the body is cold, and without subject consciousness, there is nothing, thus no meaning/s.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

This is why I don't start many threads: I ask a question, and everybody answers a different one. Maybe I'm just not very good at explaining things. Still, as long as folks are turning up for a chat, that's something. 🙂
The topic is meaning, what is your topic? Biology is the measure and the meaning of all things, without subjective consciousness there is nothing on a subjective level, and the subjective level is the only level we have.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

attofishpi wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:46 am

Yes, I hear ya - my 1st June March for British Freedoms thread has turned into me be called a racist and a pedophile (the accusers providing NO evidence) - we are no longer allowed to be proud of our British heritage - we are classed as "right wing" and racists - ridiculous.

So! To remain on topic with what I just stated and not proving your point :wink:

The meaning of life is to be proud of being British (if you are not British, the meaning of life is to be proud of your own country\culture - IF you cannot feel proud of your country\culture then fix it!!)

1st JUNE - British people unite, ALL races are welcome that believe in British values and culture..as stated in the video.

Featuring Tommy Robinson, Danny Tommo & Dean Neil on the upcoming London Event 🇬🇧
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Z1D1OHw28&t=1135s
Is the topic still meaning? I have made it as simple as possible, ponder it if you wish to engage in the topic.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

popeye1945 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 8:35 am

The topic is meaning, what is your topic? Biology is the measure and the meaning of all things, without subjective consciousness there is nothing on a subjective level, and the subjective level is the only level we have.
I have heard it said that without God there is no meaning to life. My question is, whatever is meant by the term, "meaning of life", what difference does God make?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Harbal wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 8:44 am
I have heard it said that without God there is no meaning to life. My question is, whatever is meant by the term, "meaning of life", what difference does God make?
depends on which God...

-Imp
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Impenitent wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 2:43 pm

depends on which God...

-Imp
I am assuming that anyone who is likely to answer the question will know which God they are thinking of.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

I do not believe in the supernatural so god is out. That said, there appears to be no meaning to life other than survival and procreation. Life has many forms but only one essence, and as is said in the Upanishads, "The self in one is the self in all." Meaning and experience the same thing.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

popeye1945 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:27 pm

I do not believe in the supernatural so god is out.
Then so is my question.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Harbal wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:30 pm

Then so is my question.
You do not wish to discuss meaning in general?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

popeye1945 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:35 pm

Then so is my question.
No. I'm just a bit fed up with being told that if I don't believe in God, life/existence must have no meaning for me. Well I just wanted to know what meaning it has when you believe in God.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

God, theology, has become a "club" concept. You're either a voluntary member or not. For those who are not, no diminishment is felt regarding meaning, purpose or anything else; life goes on without any god references applied to it. God only exists as a psychological knot in one's psyche, too simplistic to be of any importance to philosophy.

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:57 pm
popeye1945 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:35 pm

Then so is my question.
No. I'm just a bit fed up with being told that if I don't believe in God, life/existence must have no meaning for me. Well I just wanted to know what meaning it has when you believe in God.
Were you also told that "santa claus" comes down the chimney and/or will leave you presents?

If yes, then are you a bit fed up with that, as well?

Or, have you 'grown up' and 'matured', and thus do not let that also obviously lie affect you?

Life has the exact same meaning, for every one, whether one believes in God or not.

Although, and obviously, 'life' and its meaning can be and is as subjective AND objective just like 'morality' and its meanings are.

Once, and if, you ever also come-to-know, learn, and understand how the brain and the Mind work, exactly, then what you are wondering here will also be fully understood.

Post by Age »

attofishpi wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:56 pm
popeye1945 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:07 am Biology is the measure and the meaning of all things. In the absence of a biological, read-conscious subject, the world is utterly meaningless.
FFS popeye - The ultimate science we have is physics - IT is the measure that GIVES any "meaning" to these "all things"/

Biology is the 3rd tier (after chemistry)

Your conclusion that absent of conciousness the world (*lets state the universe*) is utterly meaningless requires you to provide that CONSCIOUNESS has meaning,

Go ahead. :mrgreen:
What I think you will find is that "popeye1945" is just stating is that only considering/thinking beings create 'meaning', or create 'the meaning of things'. Therefore, and please correct me if I am wrong here "popeye1945", if thinking beings were never to come to exist or just stopped existing, then 'meaning' would also not have come to exist, or would also just stop existing.

In other words, only when you biological thinking beings, called human beings, 'give, or create, 'meaning', then and only then 'meaning' exists.

Post by Age »

This is why I don't start many threads: I ask a question, and everybody answers a different one.
Just so 'we are on the same page', as some might say here, you never actually asked 'a question'. And, once again, just maybe you are more specific with 'actual questions' then maybe;

1. you will not have to explain things.

2. Everyone will answer the one 'actual question', which can be seen and looked at.
Harbal wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:29 am Maybe I'm just not very good at explaining things. Still, as long as folks are turning up for a chat, that's something. 🙂