For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Harbal

Re: Meaning?

Post by Harbal »

Age wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:00 pm
Harbal wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 3:21 pm
Age wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 3:04 pm

How could a rational thinking human beings get a 'headache' just from reading words and/or questions?

Most rational people would just give up doing a completely unnecessary thing if it gave them headaches.
And that is exactly why I've decided to stop answering all your pintless questions.
you may find them pointless. But, until you ever begin answering them they will remain alongside your other pointless presumptions here.

you find other's beliefs as being meaningless here, yet your beliefs have no more meaning at all.

you keep missing the Fact that it is what you are 'currently' believing and presuming, which is why you are still lost and confused here.

What 'meaning' do your own beliefs give you?
Don't be a know-it-all, Age, it gets very tedious.

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:03 pm
Harbal wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 3:21 pm
And that is exactly why I've decided to stop answering all your pintless questions.
you may find them pointless. But, until you ever begin answering them they will remain alongside your other pointless presumptions here.

you find other's beliefs as being meaningless here, yet your beliefs have no more meaning at all.

you keep missing the Fact that it is what you are 'currently' believing and presuming, which is why you are still lost and confused here.

How about you question and/or challenge me over what you presume I do not know here?

Post by Age »

Now, what 'meaning' do your own beliefs give you?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Age wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:01 pm

How about you question and/or challenge me over what you presume I do not know here?
Because it gets too messy. Instead of constantly telling everybody they are wrong, why don't you just give your version of what you think is right? People just haven't got the patience to answer all your questions.

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:37 pm
Age wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:01 pm
Because it gets too messy. Instead of constantly telling everybody they are wrong, why don't you just give your version of what you think is right?
If you provide one example, then I will.
Harbal wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:37 pm People just haven't got the patience to answer all your questions.
And/or do not have the 'know-how', which really is quite contradictory, when looked at and delved into fully
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Age wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:44 pm
Harbal wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:37 pm People just haven't got the patience to answer all your questions.
And/or do not have the 'know-how', which really is quite contradictory, when looked at and delved into fully
I wouldn't know; I haven't fully delved into it.

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:49 pm
Age wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:44 pm
I wouldn't know; I haven't fully delved into it.
I have, and thus how and why I already know.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Biology is the measure and the meaning of all things. In the absence of a biological, read-conscious subject, the world is utterly meaningless.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

popeye1945 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:07 am Biology is the measure and the meaning of all things. In the absence of a biological, read-conscious subject, the world is utterly meaningless.
FFS popeye - The ultimate science we have is physics - IT is the measure that GIVES any "meaning" to these "all things"/

Biology is the 3rd tier (after chemistry)

Your conclusion that absent of conciousness the world (*lets state the universe*) is utterly meaningless requires you to provide that CONSCIOUNESS has meaning,

Go ahead. :mrgreen:
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

popeye1945 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:07 am Biology is the measure and the meaning of all things. In the absence of a biological, read-conscious subject, the world is utterly meaningless.
"Meaning", in this context is almost meaningless.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

What means meaning never to be known
Meaning has no meaning unless it's shown.

...in which god and religion have been an abject failure at.

Only pathetic humans need a god to enhance their existence and importance. God is more of an ego concept than a necessity, existence requiring none of it.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

attofishpi wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:56 pm
FFS popeye - The ultimate science we have is physics - IT is the measure that GIVES any "meaning" to these "all things"/

Your conclusion that absent of consciousness the world (*lets state the universe*) is utterly meaningless requires you to provide that CONSCIOUSNESS has meaning,

You miss the point, that there is meaning only to biological life and biological consciousness, there are no disciplines that are not dependent upon the meanings biology provides. Again biology is the measures and the meanings of all things. Subjectively you are the center of your universe and you bestow meaning upon it, meanings are the effects the universe has upon you.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

LuckyR wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:07 pm
"Meaning", in this context is almost meaningless.
Meanings are your biological experiences.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

popeye1945 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:06 am

Your conclusion that absent of consciousness the world (*lets state the universe*) is utterly meaningless requires you to provide that CONSCIOUSNESS has meaning,

You miss the point, that there is meaning only to biological life and biological consciousness, there are no disciplines that are not dependent upon the meanings biology provides. Again biology is the measures and the meanings of all things. Subjectively you are the center of your universe and you bestow meaning upon it, meanings are the effects the universe has upon you.
You miss my point, that you have circled back to what the context Harbal in his OP has asked without actually providing an answer. Sure, conscious minds are required to quiz the "meaning of life" - but you still haven't answered that question.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:58 am
popeye1945 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:06 am

You miss my point, that you have circled back to what the context Harbal in his OP has asked without actually providing an answer. Sure, conscious minds are required to quiz the "meaning of life" - but you still haven't answered that question.
This is why I don't start many threads: I ask a question, and everybody answers a different one. Maybe I'm just not very good at explaining things. Still, as long as folks are turning up for a chat, that's something. 🙂