TRUMP AHEAD?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Alexis Jacobi

Re: TRUMP AHEAD?

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:59 pm Who knows? He and I seem to have different philosophical interests. I don't know why some turn to religion and others don't. It probably depends upon what sort of education a person is exposed to. I had a more skeptical education. Skepticism was also the direction the Academy in Athens took some time after Plato's departure from this world. I tend to think of Socrates more as a skeptic than a system builder as Plato was.
As a result of reading what you write over a long period, and audaciously risking hard assessments, I think you are dishonest with yourself. I say this because, here, everyone tells the truth as they see it.

Is it •religion• we are really talking about if we speak of ultimate metaphysical concerns? Religion is a sort of contrived structure when looked at in a certain way, isn’t it? Could be this structure, could be some other structure. It is a container. But at the core of it are those imperatives that we all circle around.

(Excluding Harbal of course who circles nothing.)

😎

I hope that you do understand (you really must) that if I focus on you I am really trying to make generalizations about many people. I did bring up ‘rebelliousness’ and I try to explain what I meant.

In my view the Christian Revelation is all of ours to deal with. The struggles, the issues, have been established in us at profound levels. It is our fate to work through them.

But naturally what I am saying has much to do with my ideas about civilizational restoration and self-recovery. Honestly, these things are real concerns of many people these days. Maybe you are not paying attention (?)
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

iambiguous wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:45 pm
With so much at stake on both sides of the grave -- moral commandments, immortality, salvation -- would it not seem fundamentally imperative not only that we mere mortals read God's Words correctly but, as well, they are able to demonstrate why it is, in fact, their own God's words, and only their own God's words, that will save your soul for all of eternity.
That is something I learned from you, Iambiguous. You kept talking about all that of such dramatic importance “on this side of the grave” (and the other side) that you made great sense even if all you could present was your own stumbling block.
moral commandments, immortality, salvation
That’s it!
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

I'm just pointing out a very simple fact: whatever the circumstance, NOT reading for yourself is always way, way worse than reading for yourself. And I think you know that's right.
On the other hand, while there are any number of folks who will agree wholeheartedly with this, many others will then fiercely remind you that it is only their own religious text it is actually applicable to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religious_texts

See if yours is included. Then, if you're willing, get back to us and explain why all the others are bullshit.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

But all of that starts with reading, and without reading, can't happen at all.
Sacred music could easily stimulate an internal revolution.

So could the solemnity of a Mass. (I just read something by Archbishop Lefevbre to this effect).

It is very hard to say what precise influence gets to the heart …
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:58 pm
iambiguous wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:45 pm
With so much at stake on both sides of the grave -- moral commandments, immortality, salvation -- would it not seem fundamentally imperative not only that we mere mortals read God's Words correctly but, as well, they are able to demonstrate why it is, in fact, their own God's words, and only their own God's words, that will save your soul for all of eternity.
That is something I learned from you, Iambiguous. You kept talking about all that of such dramatic importance “on this side of the grave” (and the other side) that you made great sense even if all you could present was your own stumbling block.
moral commandments, immortality, salvation
That’s it!
TCDR: Too cloudy, didn't read. :wink:

Go ahead, use that yourself here. 8)
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:52 pm I say this because, here, everyone tells the truth as they see it.
No truer statement has ever been made.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:03 pm
But all of that starts with reading, and without reading, can't happen at all.
Sacred music could easily stimulate an internal revolution.

So could the solemnity of a Mass. (I just read something by Archbishop Lefevbre to this effect).

It is very hard to say what precise influence gets to the heart …
I guess that all the illiterate people and all the people without access to the Bible, throughout history, went to hell. :twisted:
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

I suppose that's why so many evangelical Christians here in America will go out and buy Trump's Bible. After all, Trump is a True Christian, right? Why take chances when their very soul is on the line.
I don't get your reasoning here.

Owning Trump's Bible will make you a True Christian?

Reading Trump's Bible will make you a True Christian?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

phyllo wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:40 pm
I suppose that's why so many evangelical Christians here in America will go out and buy Trump's Bible. After all, Trump is a True Christian, right? Why take chances when their very soul is on the line.

I don't think it will be bought, other than as a novelty or fun gift...even by the most conservative Christians. And it will certainly not be read or used, except for fun. There are too many good Bibles already out on the market, and evangelicals have strong views of which translation they prefer. Trump is no "religious" figure to them...he's a pop culture icon of the lower and middle classes (ironic, for a billionaire). So I hate to spoil your fun, but the whole thing's a big nothing-burger.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:21 pm

I don't think it will be bought, other than as a novelty or fun gift...even by the most conservative Christians. And it will certainly not be read or used, except for fun. There are too many good Bibles already out on the market, and evangelicals have strong views of which translation they prefer. Trump is no "religious" figure to them...he's a pop culture icon of the lower and middle classes (ironic, for a billionaire). So I hate to spoil your fun, but the whole thing's a big nothing-burger.
This is for real? I suppose it mainly has pictures because his supporter base are semi-literate very pictureate!

I hated him for pushing aside protestors just so that he could have a photo in front of a Church holding a Bible. I don't believe he has a Christian bone in his body - but I am compelled to bat for the red team now.

BTW. I have been wondering Y you have decided to talk to me again?

Red team persuasion?
My insistence on Islam rational fear - not phobia?
The fact that GOD put my initials on every telephone box in BRITAIN? DOUBT? = DO_U_BT --> with the pied piper.. :wink:

Harbal

Post by Harbal »

I don't think it will be bought, other than as a novelty or fun gift...even by the most conservative Christians. And it will certainly not be read or used, except for fun.
I thought some of your ideas about morality were strange, but I can't even begin to imagine what your idea of fun must be. 🤔
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harbal wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 3:47 pm
phyllo wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:40 pm I don't get your reasoning here.

I don't think it will be bought, other than as a novelty or fun gift...even by the most conservative Christians. And it will certainly not be read or used, except for fun.
I thought some of your ideas about morality were strange, but I can't even begin to imagine what your idea of fun must be. 🤔
It's not my idea. But it certainly is a novelty, and people do buy novelty items.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:14 pm
Harbal wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 3:47 pm
It's not my idea. But it certainly is a novelty, and people do buy novelty items.
I suppose so, yes.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

attofishpi wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 3:18 pm This is for real? I suppose it mainly has pictures because his supporter base are semi-literate very pictureate!
This is a big mistake the Dems are making. They're demonizing more than half of the American people, calling them "rednecks," "deplorables," "white supremacists," "racists" and "idiots," with the theory that they can "shame" everybody into voting Democrat, by insulting their intelligence. But the truth is that it's the Democrats who are consistently underestimating their own voter base, as well as the crucial swing vote, to say nothing of committed Republicans. But they're consistently losing voter share by doing it.

Anyway, that's politics: and I think the whole shooting match is a circus...or better, a freak show...in the entire Western world right now, it seems.
BTW. I have been wondering Y you have decided to talk to me again?
It's for now. So long as you are civil in regard to sacred matters, and don't blaspheme. Otherwise, as a Christian, my interest in your welfare would compel me to stop engaging you so you didn't condemn yourself, and so that I didn't become an occasion of blasphemy to you. (See Acts 18:6) But right now, you're behaving, so it's all good.

To have a conversation, we don't have to agree. We just have to be minimally civil to each other, especially regarding that which is sacred. Even about that, we can disagree respectfully...but we can't become petty and rude about it, or it's a no-go for me.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Is Trump a true Christian?