For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Re: Feel free to agree or disagree

Post by Gary Childress »

Sculptor wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:39 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:42 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 3:20 pm

SO what you seem to be doing is privaleging a certain type of organisation of matter. The ground, presumably the tree itself, millions of bacteria; but only things with an ear and neural matter to "interpret" that as sound.
Waves of "energy"(I am avoiding "sound waves") pass through creatures that do not have ears, and they might be affected by them is some way. Are they also discluded?
Would not the conclusion be teleological in that "sound" is only for the purpose of hearing?
I believe that experiences (such as sound, colors, sadness or happiness) are not "out there" in the world but within the human mind, created from the particles in motion that strike our sense organs. I'm sure humans are not the only ones who experience all the things we experience. I'm really not "privileging" anything, simply giving an account of how I understand the world/mind relationship.
That's a bit absolute. For sure there are no colours in nature, but I find it hard to deny that there is such a thing as light and that light can be measured in terms of varying wavelengths - which give us the experience of light.
Unless you are trying to pretend to yourself that there is nothing "out there" at all?? Is that the case? Are you going to go down the solipsism route? All we experience is just imaginary? Or do you agree with me that sounds and colours are caused by a physical world?

Maybe a good example; is the color red "out there in the world" or is the sensation/experience of the color red created within a human mind when photons of whatever energies and wavelengths (that ARE out there in the world) strike the retina and send signals through the neurons to the brain which gives us the experience of "redness"?
Redness is subjective. We have no idea if what you see when you nominate an object "red" look anything like what I see when I see the same object. But through convention we learn to use the same name for each colour.
But there is the rub. You cannot get away from the fact that we can "see" the same thing. SO unless you think I am a figment of your imagination your solipism breaks down.
My position is neither solipsism nor do I deny that there is such a thing as light that can be measured in terms of varying wavelengths. I'm not sure where you are coming up with those assumptions about my views.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:47 pm

I believe that experiences (such as sound, colors, sadness or happiness) are not "out there" in the world but within the human mind, created from the particles in motion that strike our sense organs. I'm sure humans are not the only ones who experience all the things we experience. I'm really not "privileging" anything, simply giving an account of how I understand the world/mind relationship.
That's a bit absolute. For sure there are no colours in nature, but I find it hard to deny that there is such a thing as light and that light can be measured in terms of varying wavelengths - which give us the experience of light.
Unless you are trying to pretend to yourself that there is nothing "out there" at all?? Is that the case? Are you going to go down the solipsism route? All we experience is just imaginary? Or do you agree with me that sounds and colours are caused by a physical world?

Maybe a good example; is the color red "out there in the world" or is the sensation/experience of the color red created within a human mind when photons of whatever energies and wavelengths (that ARE out there in the world) strike the retina and send signals through the neurons to the brain which gives us the experience of "redness"?
Redness is subjective. We have no idea if what you see when you nominate an object "red" look anything like what I see when I see the same object. But through convention we learn to use the same name for each colour.
But there is the rub. You cannot get away from the fact that we can "see" the same thing. SO unless you think I am a figment of your imagination your solipism breaks down.
My position is neither solipsism nor do I deny that there is such a thing as light that can be measured in terms of varying wavelengths. I'm not sure where you are coming up with those assumptions about my views.
But surely sounds exists in exactly the same way as light.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:49 am But surely sounds exists in exactly the same way as light.
Wow. That's far more stupid than your assertion that Christianity is the same as Islam.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Sculptor wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:44 am

Fair point. However, light supposedly travels via photons, and sound travels via atoms. I suppose that would be the way in which the sense organs discern between the two, though, I've heard of cases of people who can sense sound through their eyes and other abnormalities. Not sure how that works.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:09 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:44 am

Fair point. However, light supposedly travels via photons, and sound travels via atoms. I suppose that would be the way in which the sense organs discern between the two, though, I've heard of cases of people who can sense sound through their eyes and other abnormalities. Not sure how that works.
Yes a very interesting topic Synesthesia. Apparently waves at the seaside can "sound" like rainbows.
I'm "colour blind" ans see colours differently.