Meaning?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Harbal

Re: Meaning?

Post by Harbal »

Age wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:00 am
Harbal wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:54 am
accelafine wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:33 pm If religion gives life 'meaning' then what is it? 'The meaning of life is religion' doesn't mean anything. 'How' is it the 'meaning of life'? See? You're just back to the original question.
I've always thought it was a stupid question anyway-- one with no answer (probably because the question doesn't mean anything).
I don't really understand it, either, that's why I'm asking the question.
What, exactly, do you not specifically understand here?
It is not uncommon to hear the question, "what is the meaning of life?". I think what people usually mean by that is, what is the purpose of our existence? When a carpenter produces something out of wood, he does it for a reason; there is a purpose behind it. Well we have been produced, whether it be by nature, God, or whatever, and a lot of people seem to think there must be an intended purpose for us. Now, many people seem to think that if there is a God, and if what their religion tells them is true, then that explains what our purpose is. I can't see how it does explain it; it just kicks the can farther down the road. So what I don't understand is why do they even ask the question?
Age wrote:
Harbal wrote:And I don't understand what difference God makes to whether we think there is any point to our existence.
Okay. But you do not even understand what the word 'God' is even referring to, exactly, either.
In my part of the world, I think people usually mean the God that is described in the Bible, but there are all sorts of conceptions of what God is.
Age wrote:
Harbal wrote:Even if after we died we went on to spend eternity up in the clouds with God, what would be the point of that?
Why would any Truly rational human being imagine that 'spending eternity in the clouds' was a rational thing to even consider or imagine?
That is also a mystery to me, but you must know that a lot of people actually do believe that.

Now do you understand? If not, I won't mind if you lie about it.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Atla wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:41 am
accelafine wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:33 pm If religion gives life 'meaning' then what is it? 'The meaning of life is religion' doesn't mean anything. 'How' is it the 'meaning of life'? See? You're just back to the original question.
I've always thought it was a stupid question anyway-- one with no answer (probably because the question doesn't mean anything).
I don't really understand it, either, that's why I'm asking the question. And I don't understand what difference God makes to whether we think there is any point to our existence. Even if after we died we went on to spend eternity up in the clouds with God, what would be the point of that?
Are you guys trolling or do you really not understand the difference between having a universal a purpose in life and not having one?
I understand having a personal purpose, but I don't understand why people think that the human race has an intended purpose, or that the universe has one.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Harbal wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:46 am
I don't really understand it, either, that's why I'm asking the question. And I don't understand what difference God makes to whether we think there is any point to our existence. Even if after we died we went on to spend eternity up in the clouds with God, what would be the point of that?
Are you guys trolling or do you really not understand the difference between having a universal a purpose in life and not having one?
I understand having a personal purpose, but I don't understand why people think that the human race has an intended purpose, or that the universe has one.
What's not to understand about it? :?

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:42 am
I don't really understand it, either, that's why I'm asking the question.
It is not uncommon to hear the question, "what is the meaning of life?".
This is true for me also. But this in no way means that I do not understand why you human beings imagine and even believe some things that are not just empirically impossible but are also not even logically rationally possible
Harbal wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:42 am I think what people usually mean by that is, what is the purpose of our existence?
Why would you even begin to think and presume this?

Why would absolutely ANY human being ask the question, 'What is the meaning of life?', but mean some other thing?

Have you ever considered clarifying with them what they actually do mean first?

Do you do often presume that another means something completely and utterly different from the very words that they actually used?

If yes, or if you do this anytime at all, then this would explain why some of what I say and write here gets completely and utterly misinterpreted by you.

To me, what the answer to, 'What is the meaning of life?', is very different from the answer to, 'What is the purpose of your, human being, existence?' (But then, by the use of the 'our' word here you may have been meaning or referring to something else completely.)
Harbal wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:42 am When a carpenter produces something out of wood, he does it for a reason; there is a purpose behind it.
Okay, if you say so.
Harbal wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:42 am Well we have been produced, whether it be by nature, God, or whatever, and a lot of people seem to think there must be an intended purpose for us.
Do you think this as well?
Harbal wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:42 am Now, many people seem to think that if there is a God, and if what their religion tells them is true, then that explains what our purpose is.
Do any of these people tell you what 'their', 'our', and/or 'your' purpose is, exactly?
Harbal wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:42 am I can't see how it does explain it; it just kicks the can farther down the road.
you are doing it again here. you are using the 'it' word without revealing what 'it' is, exactly.

No one, not even you, can find or be provide with answers when you are being vague. If you, really, want to find answers or learn and understand more here, then you really need to be far more specific.

Again, I can explain absolutely everything here in a truly logical and rational way, which can be backed up, supported, and proved scientifically.

What the meaning of life is and what is 'our' purpose for being HERE, existing, is no different. The answers are irrefutable and provable
Harbal wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:42 am So what I don't understand is why do they even ask the question?
Have you ever considered asking 'those people'?

I found that when people are open and honest, then you can, and will, get the answers, to questions, like the one you just asked me here

Obviously, asking 'them', instead of 'me', would probably provide you will a more sufficient answer, for you.

Also, of course, you would be wondering why 'they' ask a specific question, when they mean something else, when and while 'you' are holding the presumption that 'they' are actually meaning something else. BUT, is 'your presumption' correct to begin with?
Age wrote:
Harbal wrote:And I don't understand what difference God makes to whether we think there is any point to our existence.
Okay. But you do not even understand what the word 'God' is even referring to, exactly, either.
In my part of the world, I think people usually mean the God that is described in the Bible, but there are all sorts of conceptions of what God is.
I think you will find that there all sorts of conceptions of God all over the world.

In case I have not made it blatantly clear, previously, until you human beings start defining what 'It' is, exactly, first, then you are only wasting 'your time' questioning and discussing whether 'It' exists, or not.

As the last few thousand or so years, up to when this is being written, has proved absolutely True.
Age wrote:
Harbal wrote:Even if after we died we went on to spend eternity up in the clouds with God, what would be the point of that?
Why would any Truly rational human being imagine that 'spending eternity in the clouds' was a rational thing to even consider or imagine?
That is also a mystery to me, but you must know that a lot of people actually do believe that.
Yes, I do, or they believe some things like that.

But that is exactly what I said, write, and used the 'Truly rational human being' words, in my clarifying question posed, and asked, to you, here.

Also, it is not a 'mystery', to you, as you presumed it was here.

To me, 'Truly rational human being' does not imagine such a thing.
Harbal wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:42 am Now do you understand?
Do 'I' understand 'what', 'now', exactly?

Again, you are being very vague, and not specific at all here.
Harbal wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:42 am If not, I won't mind if you lie about it.
If you do not mind others lying to you, then this helps in explaining what you are, still, so confused here and, still, seeking and searching for answers here.

Post by Age »

The reason you, still, do not understand these things is because of your very own beliefs here.

Beliefs, and assumptions, are what has been stopping and blocking you human beings from learning and understanding more, and thus what is stopping you from becoming much, much wiser.

If you, really, want to understand more here, then stop assuming and believing what you are and have been here.

I am not sure that I could explain this more clearly, for you.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Atla wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:49 am
If I could answer that, it would mean I did understand. If you think our existence has a purpose, explain it.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Harbal wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 12:14 pm
If I could answer that, it would mean I did understand. If you think our existence has a purpose, explain it.
I don't really think that existence has a purpose, but many people do, and I'm open to the possibility. But if you don't know what the sensation of "purpose" is then there's probably no way to explain it, it's a basic human experience as far as I'm concerned, but maybe some people simply don't experience it.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Age wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:33 am

This is true for me also.
So you are aware that some people do ask that question. Good.
But this in no way means that I do not understand why you human beings imagine and even believe some things that are not just empirically impossible but are also not even logically rationally possible
It was unnecessary to write that. You are just complicating things.
Age wrote:
Harbal wrote:I think what people usually mean by that is, what is the purpose of our existence?

Why would absolutely ANY human being ask the question, 'What is the meaning of life?', but mean some other thing?

Yes, I have considered it, and that is exactly what I am doing in this thread.
Age wrote:
Harbal wrote:Well we have been produced, whether it be by nature, God, or whatever, and a lot of people seem to think there must be an intended purpose for us.
No.
Age wrote:
Harbal wrote:Now, many people seem to think that if there is a God, and if what their religion tells them is true, then that explains what our purpose is.
Do any of these people tell you what 'their', 'our', and/or 'your' purpose is, exactly?
No, they usually seem to think it is self evident.
Age wrote:
Harbal wrote:I can't see how it does explain it; it just kicks the can farther down the road.
you are doing it again here. you are using the 'it' word without revealing what 'it' is, exactly.
That's your problem.
Age wrote:
Harbal wrote:Now do you understand?
I'll take that as a no. Please don't ask me anything else; I don't want a headache.
BuzzCap7

Post by BuzzCap7 »

attofishpi wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:36 am
Harbal wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:15 am I’ve often heard it said that without religion life has no meaning. Apart from not being able to see why that matters, neither can I see what meaning religion, or belief in God, gives to life. Maybe somebody could explain, although I don’t suppose it matters much if no one bothers.
Yes, I don't think it matters either way. My experience of GOD is that it can be EXTREMELY MEAN.

I'd prefer to never exist again if I have to reincarnate again and suffer the wrath of God all over again, just to comprehend its existence (once again).
My friend, regarding the bold above.....

1. G-d is not mean. I think your interpretation of what happened to make you say that is a misunderstanding of why/how the anger came about. A displacement of the anger.

2. Reincarnating. You do realize that coming to earth is a choice. You are not "forced" to do anything. <-- That is 1 of the key points in growth. For you to do (make the choice) of doing the right thing. And reincarnation is not forced upon you. As stated my friend, it is a choice.

BuuzCap7
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Atla wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 12:35 pm
Harbal wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 12:14 pm
I don't really think that existence has a purpose, but many people do, and I'm open to the possibility.
Okay.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

BuzzCap7 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 12:40 pm
Harbal wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:15 am I’ve often heard it said that without religion life has no meaning. Apart from not being able to see why that matters, neither can I see what meaning religion, or belief in God, gives to life. Maybe somebody could explain, although I don’t suppose it matters much if no one bothers.
Yes, I don't think it matters either way. My experience of GOD is that it can be EXTREMELY MEAN.

I'd prefer to never exist again if I have to reincarnate again and suffer the wrath of God all over again, just to comprehend its existence (once again).

1. G-d is not mean. I think your interpretation of what happened to make you say that is a misunderstanding of why/how the anger came about. A displacement of the anger.

2. Reincarnating. You do realize that coming to earth is a choice. You are not "forced" to do anything. <-- That is 1 of the key points in growth. For you to do (make the choice) of doing the right thing. And reincarnation is not forced upon you. As stated my friend, it is a choice.

BuuzCap7
I won't be too harsh on you since you know nothing about me. I do find people that DICTATE to others rather ridiculous though.

If you actually want to get up to speed about me then here: https://www.androcies.com

I have known God to exist EXTREMELY personally since 1997, had a sage introduce himself to me in Nov 2005 (form the aether) - so yes, please don't think you have some esoteric know_ledge beyond anything I comprehend...about GOD - have some balls and type the name\term
BuzzCap7

Post by BuzzCap7 »

attofishpi wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 1:12 pm
BuzzCap7 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 12:40 pm

BuuzCap7
I won't be too harsh on you since you know nothing about me. I do find people that DICTATE to others rather ridiculous though.

If you actually want to get up to speed about me then here: https://www.androcies.com

I have known God to exist EXTREMELY personally since 1997, had a sage introduce himself to me in Nov 2005 (form the aether) - so yes, please don't think you have some esoteric know_ledge beyond anything I comprehend...about GOD - have some balls and type the name\term
Thanks for the link attofishpi. I'll check it out ASAP.

I would hope you are not "...harsh..." toward anyone. You wrote what you said like you are G-d's answer to this world. You are a super high authority and everyone else is a mere peon. Did you really mean that? <-- Rhetorically said. That is how your comment "I won't be too harsh on you since you know nothing about me." came off.

It appears you are attempting to set up a situation of "one upping" another. Good luck with that. Nor do you know anything about my extremely personal sage interactions and such. I do not play the ego game(s). I am better than you etc......... that will not go anywhere with me.

I am interested in hearing about your sage introduction back on November of 2005. You may be covering it in the link you shared with me. If so, feel free not to repeat yourself here since I will be checking out the link.

Thank you again for the link.

Stay well,

Mark

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 12:37 pm
Age wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:33 am
This is true for me also.
So you are aware that some people do ask that question. Good.
But this in no way means that I do not understand why you human beings imagine and even believe some things that are not just empirically impossible but are also not even logically rationally possible
It was unnecessary to write that. [/quote

Absolutely every word in this forum was unnecessary to write, but they still were.

Also, so you understand that I do already know why all of you human beings think and do the things that you all do, right?

You are just complicating things.
To who, exactly?
Age wrote:
Harbal wrote:I think what people usually mean by that is, what is the purpose of our existence?

Yes, I have considered it, and that is exactly what I am doing in this thread.[/quote]

So, who is 'the one' who has asked 'the question', to which 'your question' here is directed at, exactly?

Could you have made things here clearer, for them, earlier?
Age wrote:
Harbal wrote:Well we have been produced, whether it be by nature, God, or whatever, and a lot of people seem to think there must be an intended purpose for us.
No.
Well there are a lot of things that you seem to think.
Age wrote:
Harbal wrote:Now, many people seem to think that if there is a God, and if what their religion tells them is true, then that explains what our purpose is.
No, they usually seem to think it is self evident.
Do what others 'seem to think', to you, mean that they actually are, or are even close to thinking what you think that they might be?
Age wrote:
Harbal wrote:I can't see how it does explain it; it just kicks the can farther down the road.
That's your problem.
1. But 'it' is certainly not 'a problem', to me.

2. It seems that because you have not yet worked 'it' out, then 'it' has not yet been explained.

3. 'It' has already been explained and shown to you, you just have not yet seen and understood 'it'.
Age wrote:
Harbal wrote:Now do you understand?
I'll take that as a no. Please don't ask me anything else; I don't want a headache.
How could a rational thinking human beings get a 'headache' just from reading words and/or questions?

Most rational people would just give up doing a completely unnecessary thing if it gave them headaches.

What 'we' have here is another example of another one who expects or presumes that what it is presuming within that one head alone others will or should also be presuming or thinking the exact same thing/s.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Age wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 3:04 pm
How could a rational thinking human beings get a 'headache' just from reading words and/or questions?

Most rational people would just give up doing a completely unnecessary thing if it gave them headaches.
And that is exactly why I've decided to stop answering all your pintless questions.

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 3:21 pm
Age wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 3:04 pm

And that is exactly why I've decided to stop answering all your pintless questions.
you may find them pointless. But, until you ever begin answering them they will remain alongside your other pointless presumptions here.

you find other's beliefs as being meaningless here, yet your beliefs have no more meaning at all.

you keep missing the Fact that it is what you are 'currently' believing and presuming, which is why you are still lost and confused here.

What 'meaning' do your own beliefs give you?