Meaning?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Harbal

Meaning?

Post by Harbal »

I’ve often heard it said that without religion life has no meaning. Apart from not being able to see why that matters, neither can I see what meaning religion, or belief in God, gives to life. Maybe somebody could explain, although I don’t suppose it matters much if no one bothers.
attofishpi

Re: Meaning?

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:15 am I’ve often heard it said that without religion life has no meaning. Apart from not being able to see why that matters, neither can I see what meaning religion, or belief in God, gives to life. Maybe somebody could explain, although I don’t suppose it matters much if no one bothers.
Yes, I don't think it matters either way. My experience of GOD is that it can be EXTREMELY MEAN.

I'd prefer to never exist again if I have to reincarnate again and suffer the wrath of God all over again, just to comprehend its existence (once again).
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Without religion, life has no externally-granted meaning. This is of course what the absurdist and existentialists explore - what is "meaning" if it's not handed to us on a silver platter?

Here's a funky question, though: if life has no meaning without a god to decide your meaning for you, then does god's existence have a meaning? If he has no higher god to look up to, and to grant him a meaning, then... where does his meaning come from? Does he get to decide his own meaning himself? And if he does, in theory, then does that not then imply that we can too, in theory, decide our own meaning ourselves as well?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:42 am Without religion, life has no externally-granted meaning. This is of course what the absurdist and existentialists explore - what is "meaning" if it's not handed to us on a silver platter?

Here's a funky question, though: if life has no meaning without a god to decide your meaning for you, then does god's existence have a meaning? If he has no higher god to look up to, and to grant him a meaning, then... where does his meaning come from? Does he get to decide his own meaning himself? And if he does, in theory, then does that not then imply that we can too, in theory, decide our own meaning ourselves as well?
A few years ago when I was in a lot of contact with this 'GOD" entity, I asked "what do you want from us" - the answer was "I learn from you"

- a lot of religious folk won't like that - and to be honest, I am not sure whether that answer was from the sage or God.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

attofishpi wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:48 am
- a lot of religious folk won't like that - and to be honest, I am not sure whether that answer was from the sage or God.
Maybe a demon
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:49 am
attofishpi wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:48 am
Maybe a demon
..nah, only God and a sage have introduced themselves. While in HELL - I called out for Satan or any demon - none showed up - just nonsense.

From what I have witnessed of REAL_IT_Y with this God entity at the backbone to its construct - I would not be surprised if it is an A..I. - with a bunch of sages running the God system.

Reality is a convoluted apparition of the Truth.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:36 am
Harbal wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:15 am I’ve often heard it said that without religion life has no meaning. Apart from not being able to see why that matters, neither can I see what meaning religion, or belief in God, gives to life. Maybe somebody could explain, although I don’t suppose it matters much if no one bothers.
Yes, I don't think it matters either way. My experience of GOD is that it can be EXTREMELY MEAN.

I'd prefer to never exist again if I have to reincarnate again and suffer the wrath of God all over again, just to comprehend its existence (once again).
Whenever I have seen anything dead, whether it be a human being, an animal, or a vase of roses, it always looks pretty final, but I suppose we must keep an open mind.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:42 am Without religion, life has no externally-granted meaning. This is of course what the absurdist and existentialists explore - what is "meaning" if it's not handed to us on a silver platter?

God is a "supreme" being, apparently, which means whatever you say he can do, he can do, so I suppose it all depends on who says what about him.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Have any of you ever had a "lucid dream"? (A dream where you are fully aware you are asleep and within a dream - its like a virtual world)

Well, I hadn't had one for probably at least a year, then the other night I slipped in and out of about 3 of them. The last one was amazing. "They" the sages that I think run the God system (that permeates our every atom\synapse) were showing me all sorts of fun stuff.
I went up to a wall and decided I was going to punch it and in the back of my mind I was thinking (since I knew I was in my bed) - I worried I might literally punch the headboard or something. - I punched a hole in the wall - no problem - then the environment changed and this is where it really go good - there were loads of people and I kept shouting out, well! C'mon sages where are ya, teach me something.
So then this young chap stepped up to me and I turned to him and said I'd love my Uncle (he's over from UK atm - very close to him and I've told him many of my experiences - but he wants evidence for himself - he remains atheist)..that I'd want to tell my Uncle about the contents of this dream - is that ok?
The chap said "I can make him aware." I felt a little concerned about this because, well he told me something very bad that he did to someone (that kinda deserved it years ago) - and to be honest - when "they" have put me through a "day of reckoning" it's like you have to bounce your own indiscretions in comparison to others you know (even those you love - such as what my Uncle did) and ITS FUCKING HORRIBLE - I am not the judge of man - there's someone I know - no longer a friend that did FAR worse than what my Uncle did - so I am reckoning against that scum as well - 666 etc..

Anyhoo - back to my interaction - chat within this lucid dream with this possible sage - I said don't fuck with him, I'll check if he agrees to having his 'reality" from the God system - interaction, I'll warn him it can be very 'testing', if he says YES then sure.
This 'sage' then said ok then, if he agrees then we'll let him KNOW - they then made me wake up.

wackjob arn't eye?
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Harbal wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:06 pm

God is a "supreme" being, apparently, which means whatever you say he can do, he can do, so I suppose it all depends on who says what about him.
So if a godless being (which god, presumably, is - he doesn't pray to anybody, right?) can create their own meaning, then.... well, then godless being can create their own meaning. Seems reasonable to me.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:21 pm Have any of you ever had a "lucid dream"?
I once watched a Youtube video about how to have them, so I gave it a try, but nothing came of it.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:32 pm
attofishpi wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:21 pm Have any of you ever had a "lucid dream"?
I once watched a Youtube video about how to have them, so I gave it a try, but nothing came of it.
This might sound like I am trying to covert ya, but to be honest there are only about three friends of mine that have them - and they all are "spiritual" in some way - that they have always believed there is something more to reality. (I'm the only Christian between us)
Last edited by attofishpi on Fri May 24, 2024 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:25 pm
Harbal wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:06 pm

So if a godless being (which god, presumably, is - he doesn't pray to anybody, right?) can create their own meaning, then.... well, then godless being can create their own meaning. Seems reasonable to me.
When People talk about the meaning of life, I assume they mean the point of our being here, or the purpose behind it. Well it seems to me that, if you feel you need a purpose, there's nothing to stop you from coming up with one yourself, whether you be a god, or just an ordinary bloke.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:36 pm
Harbal wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:32 pm
This might sound like I am trying to covert ya, but to be honest there are only about three friends of mine that have them - and they all are "spiritual" in some way - that they have always believed there is something more to reality. (I'm the only Christian between us)
I don't think I'm spiritual. I say that because I don't really understand what "spiritual" means, and it seems to me that I would know if I were it.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:36 pm When People talk about the meaning of life, I assume they mean the point of our being here, or the purpose behind it. Well it seems to me that, if you feel you need a purpose, there's nothing to stop you from coming up with one yourself, whether you be a god, or just an ordinary bloke.
From the "God" angle - I feel ultimately it would be to hang out with the sages - not dying - watching the world change through time - so long as there is the right amount of energy coming from the Sun - 1 billion years should be ok.