Christian Civilization -- The Central Issue

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: Christian Civilization -- The Central Issue

Post by attofishpi »

Atla wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:00 am
promethean75 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:36 pm Check this out man. When i was like eight or nine i was at a christian summer camp and when the pastor guy was reading the appropriate scripture read when you're getting 'saved', i started fuckin cryin and got all shook up. The way he was sayin i was sinful and would go to hell and all that stuff. Here's the thing. I was too young to comprehend the gravity of what was happening, so why would i break down and cry? How would i be able to understand the depth and emergency of the christian situation? It was as if I already knew what was happening... like an old soul that was born again into the imperfect world he had lived in and failed countless times in the past. Bro i felt like total shit. A feeling of unmitigated shame and a desire to repent. Like a demon in me was fixin to be purged and was cryin and fighting against his banishment that would result after the 'saving' ritual. i rememebr bein like 'yes... YES, man, i accept J as my personal savior... please stop I'm in agony!'

So how does a kid that age get all shook up like that. Other eight year olds sit there calmly and pick their noses when the guys readin from the bible. I might as well be puking green pea soup all over the guy I'm so shook up. It was horrible. I think maybe the guy was an ass and was tryna scare me so he's tryna sound like vincent price as he's readin. They were hard-core christians there and they weren't fuckin around with these kids. Bible study, big elaborate meals, prayers every thirty minutes about something or other, work projects, and girls hadta wear pants or long dresses when they weren't swimming. And one piece bathing suits. Hey that's alright becuz it's still in there like swimwear, bro. Nah mean?

Anyway the point is that christianity may be true by virtue of the impossibility of a child that age reacting as he did to being 'saved' unless he is a soul born again into the world (a do-over) or already possessed by a muhfuckin demon.
I think children in Christian societies are automatically more sensitive to Christian psychological things, already more aligned with them. Due to two reasons and the second one is very surprising.

The first reason is obvious, even as small children we already pick up Christian psychological things simply because they are there everywhere in the culture and people around us, even if we ourselves aren't taught Christianity. Small children can be very sensitive to the unstated or stated psychological attitudes of the people around them, suck them up like a sponge and internalize them.

The second reason is rather speculative on my part but I think religious psycological attitudes, susceptibilities are also inherited through gene expression (and to a lesser degree through genes themselves, as atheism is selected against). Different religions correspond to slightly different gene expressions. Religious belief can have a major psychological and a lesser physical impact on the human body which translates to a certain variation of gene expression.

So when you were at camp you already may have had a lot of Christian psychology internalized by that point, without realizing. Same goes for all the other religions.
Christian my arse!

The US indeed Australia has many tangents spurs of "Christianity" -- lots of PASTOR = ROT_SAP crap.

All that weird shit I had none in my Catholic upbringing - same also for an ol' Computer Engineer from the Netherlands that turned to atheism early on but we spend hours in the dog park getting deep - he asks all the right questions and I think I am returning him to some faith. (not that it matters in the IC sense :wink: )
Atla

Post by Atla »

attofishpi wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:11 am
promethean75 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:36 pm Check this out man. When i was like eight or nine i was at a christian summer camp and when the pastor guy was reading the appropriate scripture read when you're getting 'saved', i started fuckin cryin and got all shook up. The way he was sayin i was sinful and would go to hell and all that stuff. Here's the thing. I was too young to comprehend the gravity of what was happening, so why would i break down and cry? How would i be able to understand the depth and emergency of the christian situation? It was as if I already knew what was happening... like an old soul that was born again into the imperfect world he had lived in and failed countless times in the past. Bro i felt like total shit. A feeling of unmitigated shame and a desire to repent. Like a demon in me was fixin to be purged and was cryin and fighting against his banishment that would result after the 'saving' ritual. i rememebr bein like 'yes... YES, man, i accept J as my personal savior... please stop I'm in agony!'

So how does a kid that age get all shook up like that. Other eight year olds sit there calmly and pick their noses when the guys readin from the bible. I might as well be puking green pea soup all over the guy I'm so shook up. It was horrible. I think maybe the guy was an ass and was tryna scare me so he's tryna sound like vincent price as he's readin. They were hard-core christians there and they weren't fuckin around with these kids. Bible study, big elaborate meals, prayers every thirty minutes about something or other, work projects, and girls hadta wear pants or long dresses when they weren't swimming. And one piece bathing suits. Hey that's alright becuz it's still in there like swimwear, bro. Nah mean?

Anyway the point is that christianity may be true by virtue of the impossibility of a child that age reacting as he did to being 'saved' unless he is a soul born again into the world (a do-over) or already possessed by a muhfuckin demon.
I think children in Christian societies are automatically more sensitive to Christian psychological things, already more aligned with them. Due to two reasons and the second one is very surprising.

The first reason is obvious, even as small children we already pick up Christian psychological things simply because they are there everywhere in the culture and people around us, even if we ourselves aren't taught Christianity. Small children can be very sensitive to the unstated or stated psychological attitudes of the people around them, suck them up like a sponge and internalize them.

The second reason is rather speculative on my part but I think religious psycological attitudes, susceptibilities are also inherited through gene expression (and to a lesser degree through genes themselves, as atheism is selected against). Different religions correspond to slightly different gene expressions. Religious belief can have a major psychological and a lesser physical impact on the human body which translates to a certain variation of gene expression.

So when you were at camp you already may have had a lot of Christian psychology internalized by that point, without realizing. Same goes for all the other religions.
Christian my arse!

The US indeed Australia has many tangents spurs of "Christianity" -- lots of PASTOR = ROT_SAP crap.

All that weird shit I had none in my Catholic upbringing - same also for an ol' Computer Engineer from the Netherlands that turned to atheism early on but we spend hours in the dog park getting deep - he asks all the right questions and I think I am returning him to some faith. (not that it matters in the IC sense :wink: )
Even your hallucinations seem to be of the "personal" variety. Personal mad god, personal sage etc. that are preoccupied with you.

I think in say a Hindu or Chinese culture, you would probably get "non-personal" hallucinations as they don't really have a personal god there.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Atla wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:41 am

Christian my arse!

Even your hallucinations seem to be of the "personal" variety. Personal mad god, personal sage etc. that are preoccupied with you.

I think in say a Hindu or Chinese culture, you would probably get "non-personal" hallucinations as they don't really have a personal god there.
Have you got something to say regarding what I actually stated or are you going to continue with personal (short of sight) attacks that amount to nothing?
Atla

Post by Atla »

attofishpi wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:44 am

Christian my arse!

Have you got something to say regarding what I actually stated or are you going to continue with personal (short of sight) attacks that amount to nothing?
Was more relevant than your comments imo
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Atla wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:38 pm
attofishpi wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:44 am

Was more relevant than your comments imo
Well actually I am quite intrigued, what are these "hallucinations" that you think I have experienced?