Christian Civilization -- The Central Issue

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Alexis Jacobi

Re: Christian Civilization -- The Central Issue

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Atla wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:27 pm The West has been moving away from religion and God (this supernatural "will") for a long time, why would it just turn around now?
It is a good question to ask. My answer? Metaphysical authority is real — realness itself. To align with it is a choice of higher intelligence.

That “moving away” arises in falsely-conceived motives the results of which are tangibly bad. And when those results are experienced that is where the learning takes place. When you see it in your children it shakes you. Then, the individual resolves an inner change, a realignment.

This does happen on different levels. The lower levels we are all I think familiar with. It is the upper levels that are the important ones.

It — if you mean the whole world — may very well not turn around. But individuals can.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Dubious wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:16 pm….
I do often sort of admire your vain clucking. The butt-plug is helping after all!
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:43 pm
Dubious wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:16 pm….
I do often sort of admire your vain clucking. The butt-plug is helping after all!
The butt-plug kid speaks again!

As a perfectionist in stupidity, it won't be long before accomplishing SINGULARITY. A slight arc more to close the circle and you will have reached your apotheosis!

Congrats! :lol: :mrgreen:
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:40 pm
Metaphysical authority is real — realness itself. To align with it is a choice of higher intelligence.
...so much for metaphysical authority which has always reeked as a self-crowning event...with or without butt-plugs.

Metaphysics demands we keep the physics waiting. :twisted:
Atla

Post by Atla »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:40 pm
Atla wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:27 pm The West has been moving away from religion and God (this supernatural "will") for a long time, why would it just turn around now?
It is a good question to ask. My answer? Metaphysical authority is real — realness itself. To align with it is a choice of higher intelligence.

That “moving away” arises in falsely-conceived motives the results of which are tangibly bad. And when those results are experienced that is where the learning takes place. When you see it in your children it shakes you. Then, the individual resolves an inner change, a realignment.

This does happen on different levels. The lower levels we are all I think familiar with. It is the upper levels that are the important ones.

It — if you mean the whole world — may very well not turn around. But individuals can.
Do you actually mean that?

"Higher" intelligence usually arrives at the conclusion that metaphysical authority isn't real, it's nowhere to be found except in the religious books. And higher intelligence usually has a harder time lying to itself, has a harder time pretending that the metaphysical authority exists once it knows that it's nowhere to be found. Hence the West's turn away from religion/God.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Atla wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:28 pm"Higher" intelligence usually arrives at the conclusion that metaphysical authority isn't real, it's nowhere to be found except in the religious books. And higher intelligence usually has a harder time lying to itself, has a harder time pretending that the metaphysical authority exists once it knows that it's nowhere to be found. Hence the West's turn away from religion/God.
It is nowhere to be found except that through its effects our entire world, our civilization, and indeed our selves, have been formed. I will admit that presenting a tangible picture (like a diagram) is not possible, and deeply problematic (consider for example the Catholic picture, or the Hindu-esque picture, or any picture) but to say that supernatural realness is not real -- seems to me absurd.
Hence the West's turn away from religion/God.
Understood. Extremely powerful arguments -- devastating arguments -- have been presented. And most people cannot sustain the assault if it comes down to defending non-tangible realities.

Still it is my belief that a higher intelligence (though this usage might offend or seem haughty) can and does conceive of and note the realness of what I am referring to as *supernatural* to nature.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:23 pm

Still it is my belief that a higher intelligence (though this usage might offend or seem haughty) can and does conceive of and note the realness of what I am referring to as *supernatural* to nature.
...the upshot and conclusion of that would be, it defaults to your opinion only. There is no such thing as *supernatural* to nature. What is supernatural to nature can no-longer be nature. Ergo, the reason nothing was ever found which qualifies as supernatural existing beyond the confines and edicts of nature itself. Your metaphysics amount to nothing more than a blending of words to corroborate your views...a perennial activity of the human mind throughout all epochs and thus almost impervious to correct.

Metaphysical denotes the invented abstractions of the mind, and yet abstractions beyond anything imagined by metaphysics lies at the very core of all existence, known and unknown.
Last edited by Dubious on Thu May 02, 2024 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

You have expressed, more or less in the same words, as if cut and pasted, exactly what you wrote here, many different times.

Your sheer, unalterable, even righteous certainty that •you know of what you speak• is the ideological position that defines you. I get it, Dubious.

There is •such a thing• as “supernatural to nature” and it enters our world (to use one possible turn of phrase) through our human faculties. Or perhaps it is better to say that what *it* is and what our humanness is are of similar nature.
Your metaphysics amount to nothing more than a blending of words to corroborate your views...
Given your adamantine predicates it certainly follows that this view is structural to yourself. All this is well understood.
Metaphysical denotes the invented abstractions of the mind
Discovered, perceived, realized are better terms. Then the sentence makes good sense.
seeds

Post by seeds »

Dubious wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:16 pm
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:10 pm
Dubious wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:19 am ...a really stupid expression which means nothing
Could you — as an exercise I mean — deliberately not-do you?[/b] Think about it! You’d be you technically but offering an interesting performance with surprising and lively twists. Or perhaps bust out into song. Can you hold a tune?!
Absolutely! I can un-do me each time I revise or reject something I once held dear...which has happened a few times. In effect, by undoing, I am redoing until the next revision. Of course, there are things I could never un-do nor wish for it to ever happen.

For example this song among a few others, will be with me until the day I croak...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK8-Zg-8JYM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwLJD18InJk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gt_4Fxz-b4
Allow me to add a couple of my personal favorites...

Yuja Wang:

https://youtu.be/CJEskzuA56I?t=1377

...and Floor Jansen:

https://youtu.be/nXjBEfFOSVI

If there is indeed a heaven, then other than perhaps our ability to hear more perfectly, I simply can't imagine how the sound and, especially, the performance of music could get any better there than it is here on earth where humans wield the singularly unique tones and timbres of the earthly instruments they have created and mastered.
_______
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:56 pm
Discovered, perceived, realized are better terms. Then the sentence makes good sense.
Correction:

Discovered is the wrong word, since to be so it must first exist discovered or not, independent of your existence.

Perceived relates to the mind's inner content as well as reflecting what is outwardly perceived. Perception, as such, is not directly relatable to any actual truth of what is perceived.

Realized is what the mind accepts as truth, affirming it in the creation of those endorsements by which it guides itself for whatever period it remains active.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

seeds wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:24 pm
Dubious wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:16 pm
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:10 pm

Could you — as an exercise I mean — deliberately not-do you?[/b] Think about it! You’d be you technically but offering an interesting performance with surprising and lively twists. Or perhaps bust out into song. Can you hold a tune?!
Absolutely! I can un-do me each time I revise or reject something I once held dear...which has happened a few times. In effect, by undoing, I am redoing until the next revision. Of course, there are things I could never un-do nor wish for it to ever happen.

For example this song among a few others, will be with me until the day I croak...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK8-Zg-8JYM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwLJD18InJk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gt_4Fxz-b4
Allow me to add a couple of my personal favorites...

Yuja Wang:

https://youtu.be/CJEskzuA56I?t=1377

...and Floor Jansen:

https://youtu.be/nXjBEfFOSVI

If there is indeed a heaven, then other than perhaps our ability to hear more perfectly, I simply can't imagine how the sound and, especially, the performance of music could get any better there than it is here on earth where humans wield the singularly unique tones and timbres of the earthly instruments they have created and mastered.
_______
Yes! Music is never simply a description but the pure effect of what it describes whose influx can only be equal to the capacity of the hearer to blend with it; in certain works music is beyond any philosphy words can convey.

Post by Age »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:57 am
Age wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:39 amyou are more concerned about presenting a case to you, only.
If you can’t handle the •Bonus Package• DM me and let me know which depth and length option you prefer.
It was you who were asked just a couple of very simple clarifying questions, which you seem to have really struggled in just answering and clarifying. So, if you cannot handle questions, then this is just what it is.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:23 pm
Atla wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:28 pm"Higher" intelligence usually arrives at the conclusion that metaphysical authority isn't real, it's nowhere to be found except in the religious books. And higher intelligence usually has a harder time lying to itself, has a harder time pretending that the metaphysical authority exists once it knows that it's nowhere to be found. Hence the West's turn away from religion/God.
It is nowhere to be found except that through its effects our entire world, our civilization, and indeed our selves, have been formed. I will admit that presenting a tangible picture (like a diagram) is not possible, and deeply problematic (consider for example the Catholic picture, or the Hindu-esque picture, or any picture) but to say that supernatural realness is not real -- seems to me absurd.
Hence the West's turn away from religion/God.
Understood. Extremely powerful arguments -- devastating arguments -- have been presented. And most people cannot sustain the assault if it comes down to defending non-tangible realities.

To say that supernatural realness isn't real, seems absurd? On the contrary. It appears to me that you think like someone who hasn't come into contact with religion and spirituality for the first few decades of his life, and now that you did, it's mesmerizing you.

"Higher" intelligence will usually arrive at the conclusion that it wasn't supernatural realness itself that effected our entire world. Instead it was our beliefs in supernatural realness, quite possibly even fueled by some kind of innate psychological features we have that create sensations of the spiritual, of the supernatural, of the transcendent. Often forming sensations of God and other higher powers to be followed, but upon closer inspection, that could just be what happens when a reflection of the human self, of the human "I", gets intertwined with our innate spiritual sensations.

Spirituality is good, but it can't be overdone anymore on a civilizational scale. A real metaphysical authority is off the table imo, except for lower intelligence.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Age wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:25 am It was you who were asked just a couple of very simple clarifying questions, which you seem to have really struggled in just answering and clarifying. So, if you cannot handle questions, then this is just what it is.
I feel your pain. Next time please ask complex questions. Simple ones throw me for a loop.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Atla wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:22 amTo say that supernatural realness isn't real, seems absurd? On the contrary. It appears to me that you think like someone who hasn't come into contact with religion and spirituality for the first few decades of his life, and now that you did, it's mesmerizing you.

Spirituality is good, but it can't be overdone anymore on a civilizational scale. A real metaphysical authority is off the table imo, except for lower intelligence.
Your comment here is relevant and I would not dismiss your assertions without careful analysis. First though, if you examine the internal structure of what you are asserting -- you present it as what Occidental man has come to as if to say it is an advance -- I think that you will agree that it is a rather common view. It is the view of those who have risen above such low-level beliefs, immersed as they are in superstition and obscurantism.

You state it plainly here:
"Higher" intelligence will usually arrive at the conclusion that it wasn't supernatural realness itself that effected our entire world. Instead it was our beliefs in supernatural realness, quite possibly even fueled by some kind of innate psychological features we have that create sensations of the spiritual, of the supernatural, of the transcendent. Often forming sensations of God and other higher powers to be followed, but upon closer inspection, that could just be what happens when a reflection of the human self, of the human "I", gets intertwined with our innate spiritual sensations.
What I would say as a kind of response to this formulation is that I think it has elements of truth. It is undeniable that superstitious modes of perception can and do not only *mesmerize* people but trap them into conspiratorial modes of seeing the world. A way to examine this is to examine conspiracy theories today. For example as Michael Barkun documents in A Culture of Conspiracy: Apocalyptic Visions in Contemporary America. I could not deny that religious views, I suppose especially when entertained and handled by populations without the sort of education to enable a clear-headed analysis of these negative aspects of blind belief, can well be described as you do describe them.

In my view -- and I did say this -- there are higher and lower orders of belief and understanding in relation to, and in response to, what I refer to continually as *metaphysical reality*. One problem though is that I am not accomplished enough in my explanations. Dubious recently asserts that any description is simply and only an organization of words to present that description as if it is tangible realness. This implies a sort of internal loop or better said what results when a man stares into an internal mirror and takes the reflection (*invented* they say) as a reality. I do not deny this necessarily. Because I see man's imagination as a very important faculty.

The *imagination* is the sort of internal stage where through -- idea, view -- is played out to use theatrical terms. It can be played out crudely and in hard symbolisms, and these we are all familiar with and more or less detest, but some imaginal productions (if you will permit this turn of phrase) are of a far higher order. I.e. they are purified of dross. It should be clear that I am presenting a way of examining "metaphysical realness" as if describing Plato's Cave. There certainly is a lower order, and it certainly does *enchain* and *entrap* -- but following the terms of the metaphor it is also possible to ascend from one state of perception and understanding to another level.

In other places I have referred to Plato's Seventh Epistle which I admit has influenced the way I understand the internal realness I describe. In that letter Plato describes certain internal processes, impossible according to him to describe in discursive language:
I know indeed that others have written on the same subjects; but who they are, is more than they know themselves. Thus much at least, I can say about all writers, past or future, who say they know the things to which I devote myself, whether by hearing the teaching of me or of others, or by their own discoveries -- that according to my view it is not possible for them to have any real skill in the matter. There neither is nor ever will be a treatise of mine on the subject. For it does not admit of exposition like other branches of knowledge; but after much converse about the matter itself and a life lived together, suddenly a light, as it were, is kindled in one soul by a flame that leaps to it from another, and thereafter sustains itself.
So what I came to understand -- indeed reflecting on all sorts of different experiences of my own -- is that it all hinges on that light or spark which is kindled in the soul. I fully admit the subjectivity of such experience. But the core idea I work with does not negate or explain away what is suggested and implied by Plato's reference, which he cannot provide an adequate verbal description of, "For it does not admit of exposition like other branches of knowledge".

Now it is true that I began this thread by reference to Christianity and, by implication, something in it of quintessential importance. That is my view. What confuses people is that my own view is more philosophical and grounded in an intellectually realized perception (idea) than it is in a classic "Christian faith" which can and does overtake some people with what is termed (negatively, critically) as enthusiasm. When I study, and I do study, the very innards of Catholic-Christian theology -- a complex interplay of symbols, yes, but also of metaphysical principles, I begin to see what is presented through it and why it has been transformative and elevating.

When you and others use the term *invented* to denounce what I refer to as *metaphysical realness* I personally believe you are making a great mistake. You get stuck seeing the trees when you would do better to see the forest. So let me refer to Plato's description: "suddenly a light, as it were, is kindled in one soul by a flame that leaps to it from another, and thereafter sustains itself" as referring to some type of essence the realization of which, for want of a better word, and one that might confuse, enlightens.
A real metaphysical authority is off the table
I believe that I see your point, and in a sense I agree, but then I also adamantly disagree. In my view it is our task to discover and attempt to explain, through it will always be problematic and misleading, just what we mean by metaphysical authority. I am pretty sure that we know it intuitively and perhaps I can say that man will always know it. But the question is how it can be made real when, as indeed is the case, we live among the *ruins* that Evola refers to. I see ruins as being a densely loaded term that has to be unpacked. To be in a ruinous state, or a ruined state, is to be in a degenerated state -- and it is that state that requires renovation.