Faith: Difficult but Necessary?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Immanuel Can

Re: Faith: Difficult but Necessary?

Post by Immanuel Can »

commonsense wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:36 pm BTW, I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t‘ve had this same discussion with IC. He/she seems like a very reasonable chap.
Well, I'm a "he," actually. A "chap," as you say...and I try to live up to the term "reasonable."

But thanks.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:48 pm
commonsense wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:36 pm BTW, I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t‘ve had this same discussion with IC. He/she seems like a very reasonable chap.
Well, I'm a "he," actually. A "chap," as you say...and I try to live up to the term "reasonable."

But thanks.
Yes. You are generally reasonable. I apologize for having been dismissive.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:56 pm

But thanks.
Very honourable of you to say. Thank you.

It's all good, Gary. You're just fine with me.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:14 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:56 pm

But thanks.
Very honourable of you to say. Thank you.

It's all good, Gary. You're just fine with me.
You're welcome. I need to be more reasonable.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:26 pm Do the winners write history or does history favor those who deserve to win? I suggest peace is a viable and necessary route to save humanity from ourselves.
Most Westerners have enjoyed a profoundly decadent and long-lasting 'peace' since 1945...

That "peace" is coming to an end, because such things do not last forever. Are you suggesting a million year peace? Peace forever? Such a thing does not, and probably should not, exist.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Wizard22 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:37 am
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:26 pm Do the winners write history or does history favor those who deserve to win? I suggest peace is a viable and necessary route to save humanity from ourselves.
Most Westerners have enjoyed a profoundly decadent and long-lasting 'peace' since 1945...

That "peace" is coming to an end, because such things do not last forever. Are you suggesting a million year peace? Peace forever? Such a thing does not, and probably should not, exist.
Why "shouldn't" eternal peace exist? What's ever wrong with peace? Is there such a thing as too peaceful or not enough strife?
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Becuz in perfect peaceful circumstances there can be no improvement... becuz there is no conflict, nothing struggling.

Question is, is improvement wanted, and wtf is it exactly? What is an improvement and not a form of decline for the type? This is what we masters of the erf must aks ourselves. Man is so far lacking a goal bruh. He's just floundering in the breeze of multifarious forces without any direction whatsoever. Nowadays we can't tell if we're goin up or down Gary.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Like two lesbian transgender women who raise a gay son who turns out being a cross dressing mathematical savant pedophile alcoholic who's ideas revolutionize quantum computing.

See what I mean? Is that up or down?

Post by Age »

promethean75 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:05 am Becuz in perfect peaceful circumstances there can be no improvement... becuz there is no conflict, nothing struggling.
But in peace there can be improvement, and actually improvement can be made much more easily and simply. For example, improvements in health and in education can be made much more simpler and easier during peace, than can be made in conflict, obviously.
promethean75 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:05 am Question is, is improvement wanted, and wtf is it exactly?
Are you really asking, 'what is improvement, exactly?'
promethean75 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:05 am What is an improvement and not a form of decline for the type? This is what we masters of the erf must aks ourselves. Man is so far lacking a goal bruh.
you so-called "men" may well be lacking a goal, but you human beings certainly are not.
promethean75 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:05 am He's just floundering in the breeze of multifarious forces without any direction whatsoever. Nowadays we can't tell if we're goin up or down Gary.
If you, really, cannot tell, then this is an absolute proof of a misguided and abusive childhood.

Post by Age »

promethean75 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:19 am Like two lesbian transgender women who raise a gay son who turns out being a cross dressing mathematical savant pedophile alcoholic who's ideas revolutionize quantum computing.

See what I mean? Is that up or down?
Is what, exactly, up or down?

And, up or down in relation to what, exactly?
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:23 pmWhy "shouldn't" eternal peace exist? What's ever wrong with peace? Is there such a thing as too peaceful or not enough strife?
Pretty much this:
promethean75 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:05 am Becuz in perfect peaceful circumstances there can be no improvement... becuz there is no conflict, nothing struggling.

Question is, is improvement wanted, and wtf is it exactly? What is an improvement and not a form of decline for the type? This is what we masters of the erf must aks ourselves. Man is so far lacking a goal bruh. He's just floundering in the breeze of multifarious forces without any direction whatsoever. Nowadays we can't tell if we're goin up or down Gary.
Conflict is what makes life healthy, strong, and beautiful.

USA is seeing the disastrous and ill effects of peace lingering for far too long. The population becomes ugly, and turns on itself.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:06 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:23 pmWhy "shouldn't" eternal peace exist? What's ever wrong with peace? Is there such a thing as too peaceful or not enough strife?
Pretty much this:

USA is seeing the disastrous and ill effects of peace lingering for far too long. The population becomes ugly, and turns on itself.
The 20 year wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were "peace"? God why are there morons in the world like you????? :roll:
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Faith is the easy way out.
It is unnecessary and injurious
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:06 pm
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:06 pm
Pretty much this:

The 20 year wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were "peace"? God why are there morons in the world like you????? :roll:
Yeah. Right Wing stupidity is breathtaking and astonishing.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:48 pm Faith is the easy way out.
It is unnecessary and injurious
You're probably right. I've had it with all the religions and pseudo religions. I'm more interested in what scientists have to say about the real world.