Faith: Difficult but Necessary?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Re: Faith: Difficult but Necessary?

Post by Gary Childress »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:33 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:29 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:43 pm
I'm interested in Gary's. He's the one who started this ball rolling. Maybe his will be better than anything I could come up with. Let's find out.
I posted what I think will bring peace. You replied to it but left out that half.
You didn't say how any of that was going to happen. You just said you wanted...
...not sending armies beyond sovereign borders, and not stationing troops beyond sovereign borders (except in UN delegated peace keeping functions).
...and...
...some degree of regime change in the US in our case.
So you think the UN is going to remain, and will somehow become effective and moral, but that Biden has to go?

So many questions...how is all this going to be made possible?
I have no idea what your problem is with my post. I just want peace in the world. Apparently you don't.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:13 pm

I posted what I think will bring peace. You replied to it but left out that half.
...not sending armies beyond sovereign borders, and not stationing troops beyond sovereign borders (except in UN delegated peace keeping functions).
...and...
So you think the UN is going to remain, and will somehow become effective and moral, but that Biden has to go?

I have no idea what your problem is with my post. I just want peace in the world. Apparently you don't.
I didn't say that. All I asked is how you were going to turn this "want" into something more than a mere wish.

Wishes are free. Solutions are hard.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:16 pm

...and...

I didn't say that. All I asked is how you were going to turn this "want" into something more than a mere wish.

Then find something better to do that harass me over a post calling for peace. All you want to do is make me look stupid for whatever reason. Knock yourself out if that's what you want. I'm finished with this thread. Congrats on shutting it down.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:21 pm

Then find something better to do that harass me over a post calling for peace. All you want to do is make me look stupid for whatever reason.
I'm not harassing you, Gary. I was wondering if you actually had something to say about peace. But if it was just a "virtue signal," by you, then of course you can do that...it just isn't likely to do much to advancing the cause of peace.

And somebody who claims to love peace really ought to have some idea how to advocate for it, no?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:21 pm Then find something better to do that harass me over a post calling for peace. All you want to do is make me look stupid for whatever reason. Knock yourself out if that's what you want. I'm finished with this thread. Congrats on shutting it down.
That doesn't sound very peaceful ...
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Walker wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:33 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:21 pm Then find something better to do that harass me over a post calling for peace. All you want to do is make me look stupid for whatever reason. Knock yourself out if that's what you want. I'm finished with this thread. Congrats on shutting it down.
That doesn't sound very peaceful ...
As I said, no country should be invading another and no country should have troops stationed in another for unilateral purposes. If you're opposed to that, then look no further than yourself for why there are wars.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:32 pm

Then find something better to do that harass me over a post calling for peace. All you want to do is make me look stupid for whatever reason.
I'm not harassing you, Gary.
Yes. You are. The fact that you don't realize it speaks volumes.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:44 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:32 pm

I'm not harassing you, Gary.
Yes. You are. The fact that you don't realize it speaks volumes.
About you being oversensitive? Maybe. Not about me harassing you.

This is a philosophy site. If you post something here, I think you can expect that people will have reasonable questions. If that's what you regard as "harassment," then you're clearly in the wrong place, and don't know what we do here.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:10 pm ... then you're clearly in the wrong place, and don't know what we do here.
Apparently, I am. I was hoping to find more reasonable people here. Many are but not all.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:16 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:10 pm ... then you're clearly in the wrong place, and don't know what we do here.
Apparently, I am. I was hoping to find more reasonable people here. Many are but not all.
Well, that's no doubt true. But I don't think you're right to assume that's what's going on in the present case.

"Reasonable" means "willing to be governed by reason," not "unthinkingly affirming of whatever somebody first posts." If you have reasoning to show how your desire for peace can be translated into practice, great; if not, then it's not actually a "reasoned" conversation you were looking for -- it was only blind affirmation from the unthinking.

Maybe you weren't reasonable to suppose you could get that sort of blind affirmation on a philosophy site.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:25 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:16 pm
Well, that's no doubt true. But I don't think you're right to assume that's what's going on in the present case.

"Reasonable" means "willing to be governed by reason," not "unthinkingly affirming of whatever somebody first posts." If you have reasoning to show how your desire for peace can be translated into practice, great; if not, then it's not actually a "reasoned" conversation you were looking for -- it was only blind affirmation from the unthinking.

Maybe you weren't reasonable to suppose you could get that sort of blind affirmation on a philosophy site.
Good grief. Just go aways, IC. I can't deal with your nonsense today. Maybe try becoming a Christian or something. Then you might be more tolerable.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

...and...

Everyone wants peace in the world.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

commonsense wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:29 pm

...and...

Everyone wants peace in the world.
True. Some want to invade other countries and then they're all for peace after they win.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Then find something better to do that harass me over a post calling for peace. All you want to do is make me look stupid for whatever reason. Knock yourself out if that's what you want. I'm finished with this thread. Congrats on shutting it down.
Some of us are just trying to figure out how to turn your admirable wishful thinking into a practical strategy. Wishful thinking is not stupid.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

[