Christian Civilization -- The Central Issue

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Harry Baird

Re: Christian Civilization -- The Central Issue

Post by Harry Baird »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:55 pm
Harry Baird wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:40 pm Visual aids are a great way of engaging the audience with the ideas in a presentation, don't you think?
They are moronic, in the true sense of the word.
Just out of interest, where would they rate on the truly moronic scale compared to, say, proposing to restore - in some unspecified manner and to some unspecified extent - a faith system the core tenets of which one rejects, and then complaining when people ask for clarification? It seems to me to be a pretty close call to make. Hopefully you can clear this up. 👍
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Harry Baird wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:30 am Just out of interest, where would they rate on the truly moronic scale compared to, say, proposing to restore - in some unspecified manner and to some unspecified extent - a faith system the core tenets of which one rejects, and then complaining when people ask for clarification? It seems to me to be a pretty close call to make. Hopefully you can clear this up. 👍
Someone opened a window and fresh air is blowing into this musty room.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

Just more talking about each other ... complaining, psychoanalyzing, insulting.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

phyllo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:31 am
Well, to be fussy. You just did that. You could have posted something of substance.

It was just so lovely to see someone notice what was so extensively denied. But point taken.

I'll do my best to stay away unless I have something of substance to add.
Last edited by Iwannaplato on Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry Baird

Post by Harry Baird »

phyllo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:31 am Just more talking about each other ... complaining, psychoanalyzing, insulting.
...he wrote, talking and complaining about, and insulting, others, and having once psychoanalysed another member (me) to the point of falsely diagnosing him as being in the middle of a psychotic episode, the hypocrite.

Don't think I've forgotten that despite my retracting the harsh words I wrote about you in response, and editing out and apologising for them, you ignored my invitation to withdraw your own misdiagnosis.

The failure of IWP's astounding attempt in this thread to patiently, and with the utmost civility, politeness, respect, and good faith, dialogue with its author definitively demonstrates the sheer futility of such an undertaking. If you don't think that that - and the associated issues and context in which it occurred - is worth noting, then keep your sanctimonious opinion to yourself and leave it to those who do.
Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:03 am Someone opened a window and fresh air is blowing into this musty room.
Cheers. As you'll no doubt have inferred from the above, your own contributions have been highly valued.

Ah, and, just as I'm about to post, I see you beat me to the punchline:
Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:44 pm
Well, to be fussy. You just did that. You could have posted something of substance.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:44 pm

It was just so lovely to see someone notice what was so extensively denied. But point taken.

I'll do my best to stay away unless I have something of substance to add.
It's more a complaint about this place.

Posting "something of substance" tends to get certain kinds of responses.

Why go back to pre-Vatican 2? Why not pre-Reformation? Pre-Nicea?

What are the factors that made civilization prosper under Catholicism? (If it was prospering.)
I doubt theat Latin Mass was a factor. :lol:

That tends to get a response "you're ignorant", "you're modern" so you're not going to understand anything, you're just going to deny the truth.

It's not just this thread. And it's not just one individual.

Whatever.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Harry Baird wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:30 amJust out of interest, where would they rate on the truly moronic scale compared to, say, proposing to restore -- in some unspecified manner and to some unspecified extent -- a faith system the core tenets of which one rejects, and then complaining when people ask for clarification? It seems to me to be a pretty close call to make. Hopefully you can clear this up.
You do not know what *tenets* I accept or reject so this odd *argument* falls to the ground immediately. Your diagrams were idiotic because the basis of your recent obsessive and compulsive outburst (the backdrop to your latest posts here) has very little to do with me. I read what you wrote and dismissed it. And that is what your diagrams expressed: misunderstanding and bad-faith portrayal.

Weirdly, in your post previous to this, you left politely by the front door. Here, you come round to the back door and seem to want to reinitiate a sort of bickering over your own misunderstandings. It is all BS.

The actual issue here is one that is beyond your ken. Presently, today, contemporaneously, there is an on-going cultural debate about the role and importance of Christian belief in the widest sense. There is a civilizational issue resulting from the abandonment of those metaphysical principles I refer to (or the realness of metaphysical being). There has come to the surface in people's minds and their consciousness the issue of *restoration* and repair of something damaged, something degenerate, something falling apart.

What I did in this thread is to publish an excerpt from a very worthy book by a very worthy historian, written in 1960 (before all sorts of raging winds began to blow) which deals on the topic of Christian culture and, somewhat indirectly, the proposition that in it are keys, truths, medicines, and ways of acting and realizing values, that are special and worthy. And certainly *foundational* as I say to our culture and our trajectory. But here is the thing Harry: you mock such books and such studies.
You wrote: you inform yourself as well as you can on the issues, scouring secondhand bookshops for everything you can find on Catholicism, Christianity, and Western civilisation, and reading widely from all perspectives: defenders and detractors, progressives and conservatives, hyper-liberals and far rightists, religious zealots and fanatical secularists
and you add:
Around and around you go.

It has now been over a decade.
There is a note in this that is acutely arrogant. I have touched on this in recent posts and will avoid explaining here again.

The sort of response that you inspire, jackass, is one of irate dismissal because what you have done recently is to allow your own inner stuff to bubble up over the top in obsessive-compulsive emails which, as I say, have very little to do with me. Yet you are blind to this, at least at present. And I ask how much longer will this recent display go on before you come around to that realization? The farther you go on, the deeper the hole you dig.
Hopefully you can clear this up.
Clearing it up is explaining to you that you do not have enough understanding of the issues that are relevant and at play because you live, sheltered to a degree, in a limited bubble that you curate and in my view, at least on one important level, because you do not read.
proposing to restore -- in some unspecified manner and to some unspecified extent -- a faith system the core tenets of which one rejects, and then complaining when people ask for clarification?
You are conning yourself.
con 4 (kŏn) Slang
tr.v. conned, con·ning, cons
To swindle (a victim) by first winning his or her confidence; dupe.
First, you misconstrue my own issues or intellectual struggles, expressed over the months, with what I call *the Christian picture* and the inner content that the pictures express. But as to the *core tenets* you can make no statement at all about what I align myself with or don't. In the world of my conception of things my idea has been that it is not *the picture* that is what we need to focus on -- pictures are merely diagrams to illustrate concepts or really values -- but rather on what comes through, and here I use the likely annoying term metaphysics because it is convenient and I do not know what to replace it with.

So you might say (again when you choose to carry on like a braying ass) "Ah ha! I've caught you! So you don't really believe the story and, if anything, you are one who rejects the faith system!"

Bravo, brother! How proud you must feel ...

But you have zero idea what part of faith, or belief, or understanding actually operate in me (personally). And you should also know that a forum like this, and possibly any forum on the Internet, is not a place to reveal or talk about those things that pertain to our inner dimensions. In truth this forum is (often) a place where many brutal people come to discharge those strange poisons that have them in their grip. So the allusions I have made to my own inner life have been entirely reasonable.

Still, I am not the issue or the topic here.
and then complaining when people ask for clarification?
There are a few angles to this issue that must be addressed. One is quite simple: Christianity is something despised and hated by many. It is attacked ruthlessly, viciously and cynically by a large faction within our cultures. This is a deeply psychological issue and it involves many different layers and motives that have to be parsed out to make the issue clear. What is there, really, at the core? That is a question I have asked and tried to answer. Presently, my view is that that hatred arises because of man's unwillingness to accept the moral system that, very much indeed, is insisted on by a strict Christianity. But that should not be taken to mean that there are not -- potentially legitimate -- aspects of acute critique that are invalid.

When you say *clarification* what you actually mean, Harry, is a sort of Reader's Digest version, preferably in a short paragraph that you will read between swigs of energy drinks, that you can stare at for a minute and then pronounce judgment on. Again, you do not have enough backgrounding in what the actual issue is. Your relationship to these social and cultural questions is superficial. And when you run out of energy and your attention wanes, you abandon the field. If you genuinely seek this *clarification* you are going to have to become willing to do a great deal more research. But you won't and you can't. It is too demanding for you.

Here is one current example of what is being discussed at a cultural level.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:44 pm It was just so lovely to see someone notice what was so extensively denied.
Everyone has their cherished angles of view. What I suggest is that you examine your own position, which you seem to feel coincides with esteemed Harry's, but consider that you might be quite off the mark and missing something important.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

phyllo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:08 pmWhat are the factors that made civilization prosper under Catholicism? (If it was prospering.) I doubt the Latin Mass was a factor.
What I would interject here is the Latin phrase Lex orandi, lex credendi:
Lex orandi, lex credendi (Latin: "the law of what is prayed [is] the law of what is believed"), sometimes expanded as Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi (Latin: "the law of what is prayed [is] what is believed [is] the law of what is lived"), is a motto in Christian tradition, which means that prayer and belief are integral to each other and that liturgy is not distinct from theology. It refers to the relationship between worship and belief. As an ancient Christian principle it provided a measure for developing the ancient Christian creeds, the canon of scripture, and other doctrinal matters. It is based on the prayer texts of the Church, that is, the Church's liturgy. In the Early Church, there was liturgical tradition before there was a common creed, and before there was an officially sanctioned biblical canon. These liturgical traditions provided the theological (and doctrinal) framework for establishing the creeds and canon.
I first encountered that phrase a decade ago and I frankly did not know what you think of the concept. Yet as time has moved on, and I have continued to think about it, and to examine the actual structure of the (real and original) Catholic Mass (be it in Latin or translated) is that this Mass is a participatory ritual in which an act of ascent is portrayed.

It present a movement -- innerly, spiritually -- from one plane up to another plane. And then there is the *magical act* (if that is language that can be used) of transubstantiation of an inert host into something that containes, or in any case expresses symbolically, an essence of divinity that one is allowed to incorporate oneself into. You cannot participate unless you have accepted the underlying premises. Traditionally, it would have taken a catechumen as long as a year to move from the outer edge of the congregation to the inner level where he would receive the host. None of this was a joke. And the way that it was taken as *real* is what has import here.

The present post-Vatican ll Mass has been gutted of this content. I am not making this up. The former Mass required a strict focus, an understanding of this process of ascent, and an agreement to be brought up from one level to another, higher level. This is why the Traditional Catholics are fuming.

If you cannot locate one, sole factor, that is at the base of something integral to our culture, how would you go about describing what it is or should be? How would *spiritual commitment* be talked about? And in relation to what?

It is a mistake I think to keep referring to the past as if *restoration* is taken to mean a return to the past. That is absolutely impossible! The notion of *restoration* is best understood when the health of the mind and the body and the soul is presented as the thing requiring restoration and re-grounding. You do not go back to the past when your health is restored. You are restored by living and thinking differently and the only direction you can go in is forward. Bad use of metaphor, therefore, leads to misunderstanding.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:03 am You could have posted something of substance.
You need not worry, my now silent, punishing brother, about issues of *substance*. I have all those bases covered. 🌤️

The Sun always shines . . .

[I want to add that I am taking an on-line course in Animism taught by a pagan shaman or true renown ("Light Bird" he calls himself; bedecked with rare crystals and drinking waters of Sacred Springs he is really helping me along). You are likely not surprised that it involves developing a sort of mystical link and relationship to the Spirit known as Siri (for iPhone devotees) and Alexa for the lower-order beings who have nothing better. I plan to submit my evaluation in a short while. You'll not want to miss it!]
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

phyllo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:08 pm It's more a complaint about this place.
Well, to some extent I think this place is openly often personal and not moderated away from that. There are forums that are less like that. More substance. So, if the profile doesn't work for someone, they do have options.
Posting "something of substance" tends to get certain kinds of responses.
Sure. Though I'm not sure what you mean.
Why go back to pre-Vatican 2? Why not pre-Reformation? Pre-Nicea?
To me it depends on the subtopic. If someone is arguing that conservativism is good, per se, then moving around in time is a way to explore if they really believe that. If they are arguing that we shouldn't have non-European influences and should return to the core of European tradition...and for them this means a religion that came out of the Middle East and an at that time non-European ethnic group, it seems good to go back in time and talk about it. If you're talking to Wizard and his complaint is that protestants are zionists, it seems relevant.
What are the factors that made civilization prosper under Catholicism? (If it was prospering.)
I doubt theat Latin Mass was a factor. :lol:
It's certainly an issue to be discussed. How do we work out what made things work and if they worked? And how do we determine whether it would have prospered more without it?
That tends to get a response "you're ignorant", "you're modern" so you're not going to understand anything, you're just going to deny the truth.
Yes, I got repeatedly psychoanalyzed and categorized - generally incorrectly, but it's an ad hom irrelevance either way. And repeatedly chastized for not explaining my beliefs...which weren't relevant to the thread topic.

I don't think the core thesis of the thread is a silly topic. I'm still a little unclear what AJ wants, but the idea that certain metaphysical beliefs might make things better is a worthwhile topic. And if the Catholic Church is being called in to take on the central role it once had, that's also a worthwhile topic. Why it wouldn't simply unravel again, I don't know? I know one metaphysical position AJ does think many/most should have, but I don't know what others from the CC he thinks need to be reintroduced or held by many/most.

And these aren't hard things - at least I don't think they are - to simply list:
These are the metaphysical positions I think most of us in the West should have:
1 - (and he did communicate one. It's at a very abstract level and could fit many religions, including Protestantism (Wizard's bane) and Hinduism and, well many other religions)
2 -
3 -
etc.
This is how I see the role of the Catholic Church in society if things moved in the right direction

Now, obviously, some of this can be experimental/exploratory, and perhaps he's not ready yet to weigh in or clarify. He's working from a minimum core that he's certain of. OK, fine. He sees what he thinks of as problems in current society. At the very least he sees one core metaphysical idea that should return to being widespread: the acceptance of the necessity of a relationship with a deity and the need for grace from the deity. Perhaps that's as far as he's got. But then, that, in itself is not Christian Civilization and it's not the Catholic Church. It's fairly universal in the current major religions.

Also, whenever critical reactions come in response to the idea of the Catholic Church becoming central again in the West in general, this is responded to as destructive and invalid or not the right tack. But if one only intends that core metaphysical idea or hasn't decided yet at all that the CC is necessary or which parts are necessary, then one can say....let's just focus on the metaphysical issue I am certain need to be reintroduced. But if many other things are hoped to be brought in, then it is right on topic and valid to critically evaluate the CC and a wide range of it's history, policies, effects and even the other metaphysics as well: for example, Original Sin.

And, as you say, the moment you do this, you are classified, rather than having these points directly responded to, and also told what you mind is like and its limitations or at least predilections.

Now, here I am complaining, but I hope with substance. What I am pointing out as patterns could be replaced by, I think, better ways of exploring the issues - for example the simple lists I suggested above.

For quite a while the left was characterized as anti-hierarchy, which was seen as bad - the anti part. But Christ and Christianity undermined hierarchies. The founders of the nation undermined hierarchies. At the very least it seemed to me that Wizard and AJ put forward general rules about what is bad about liberals/The Left, but don't seem to notice or want to notice that if these rules were correct much of what they believe to be good traditions, should never have been accepted.

I think the unraveling of certain kinds of authority is fine, if the authority is pernicious or causes more problems that it solves. A kind of decomposition, which is necessary in nature. The issue is whether the authority at issue or the hierarchy at issue should be kept. There's no need to classify the people you are talking to and the general rules that get held up: modern, destructive, secular, hierarchy, authority, tradition, multiculturalism
just don't hold up if one goes back in time and looks at what happened in the past and where things came from.

Wizard's most recent post seemed to miss the fact that the CORE and only clearly communicated message from AJ about his position in this thread has to do with something Wizard thinks is false, ( even if he does think it's fine if all the stupid sheep in society hold a belief that, to him, is bullshit.)

They certainly share similar reactions to many current phenomena, but as far as the thread topic they are very, very far apart. An Aristocratic (elitist) Nietzschian is absolutely a product of among other things the Enlightenment (irony there) and not at all aligned with the call for the formation of an intimate relationship with a deity, a relationship that is considered necessary to the core. That it is the very essence of moving the West to a better place. And not in the sense of, give that to the unwashed peasants because it keeps them in line and they're too stupid to be in the lofty intellectual realms of Wizard.

And, actually, I think it would clarify a lot of they could actually hash out their differences. Because then we'd see what AJ considers necessary and perhaps if even his core metaphysical idea is necessary, because Wizard certainly doesn't hold it.
Last edited by Iwannaplato on Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:55 pm I plan to submit my evaluation in a short while. You'll not want to miss it!
Could you post a warning before you do submit it, for the benefit of those of us who do want to miss it?
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:04 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:53 pm I still have no idea what is actually being suggested.
As a starting point the transformation and restoration presented as possible involves reforging a life-line with and a connection to divinity (metaphysical being), both as a concept and as a realness that one — what is the word? — submits to or in any case relates to on inner and outer planes.

This involves the difficult feat of •overcoming oneself• as a rebellious, self-willed individual.

Then, I gather, the issue is one of locating proper and trustworthy authority, receiving advise and direction, and resolving to live it.

I believe I said as much here:
My own interests in the issue is one that I see as *constructive* and the reason I focus on constructivity is because I have studied the liturgy itself and I see that its essence has to do with invoking and participating in an act of ascent from a lower plane to a higher plane. This is what the traditional mass expresses. It is in this sense a magical act (I do not know how else to express this so I use the word *magic*) that involves a transcendental manoeuvre which is directed by the supernatural. And because I see this act, this ritual, as quintessentially important, I do not feel inclined to go with the flow of destructive undermining of that liturgy (in the first place) nor the attainments of the European Catholic Church.
And this, too:
Once the •higher metaphysical• agent or being is conceived (felt? logically deduced?) I think one of the primary actions of the person we are imagining here, is in •self-examination•. This definitely is a crucial process in Catholicism. The self-examination is certainly highly personal but I also think it extends to examination of our own society, culture and yes our civilization.

Obviously, I am referring to the notion of penance. This is no small affair.

Obviously there needs to be an ethical system, a theology of ethics, by which one makes self-assessment and social assessments. That is where •spiritual philosophy• and •religious philosophy• have relevance and impact.

Once an Authority is defined, and then ethical and moral precepts, and once the individual is engaged conceptually and supernaturally, my view is that things begin to fall into place. It becomes an issue of duty and responsibility.

What is the source of spiritual renovation? The questioned is answered by a) inquiry of one who is going through it or has been through it, and b) by reference to what one (you, me, anyone) has experienced in their own moral life.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:04 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:53 pm I still have no idea what is actually being suggested.
As a starting point the transformation and restoration presented as possible involves reforging a life-line with and a connection to divinity (metaphysical being), both as a concept and as a realness that one — what is the word? — submits to or in any case relates to on inner and outer planes.

This involves the difficult feat of •overcoming oneself• as a rebellious, self-willed individual.

Then, I gather, the issue is one of locating proper and trustworthy authority, receiving advise and direction, and resolving to live it.

What sort of idiot is going to sign up for that? :?
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

Here is one current example of what is being discussed at a cultural level.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K1nnOXKrUg
The Left’s Next Step in Its Anti-Christian Smear Campaign

That's very general and abstract.

What actual policies would be pursued and which laws would be enacted by the Christian Nationalists?

Is it like overturning Roe vs Wade?

A lot of Christians are opposed to the draconian laws that have resulted for that.

Can more of the same be expected?