I'm wrong about everything. Now what?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Is there any progress in philosophy? Or more to the point, is there any progress in humanity, or do we simply go around in repetitious circles? Or maybe it's just me going around in circles. I give up. My productive life is over as far as I'm concerned. I'm in retirement. Game over.
phyllo

Re: I'm wrong about everything. Now what?

Post by phyllo »

Is there any progress in philosophy?
What's the connection between those two statements? What does "progress in philosophy" have to do with you being "wrong about everything"?
Peter Kropotkin

Post by Peter Kropotkin »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:28 am Is there any progress in philosophy? Or more to the point, is there any progress in humanity, or do we simply go around in repetitious circles? Or maybe it's just me going around in circles. I give up. My productive life is over as far as I'm concerned. I'm in retirement. Game over.
K: actually, being wrong about everything is the start of philosophy,
not the end.... it gives one a chance to start over and reevaluate
what you believed in and why.... why these beliefs and not other beliefs?

you have a great opportunity in front of you... take advantage of it....

Kropotkin
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Peter Kropotkin wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:49 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:28 am Is there any progress in philosophy? Or more to the point, is there any progress in humanity, or do we simply go around in repetitious circles? Or maybe it's just me going around in circles. I give up. My productive life is over as far as I'm concerned. I'm in retirement. Game over.
what you believed in and why.... why these beliefs and not other beliefs?

you have a great opportunity in front of you... take advantage of it....

Kropotkin
You'll be wrong about everything the 2nd; and 3rd; and 4th and Nth times too.

You are always wrong about everything. Philosophy is Kobayashi Maru.

When you accept this fact you stop caring about being right and focus on different priorities.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

If you're wrong about everything, then open your eyes and find someone who looks like they aren't. Find out what they think and why. That's as good a place to start as anywhere
ThinkOfOne

Post by ThinkOfOne »

In response to the title question:

George Costanza : Why did it all turn out like this for me? I had so much promise. I was personable, I was bright. Oh, maybe not academically speaking, but... I was perceptive. I always know when someone's uncomfortable at a party. It became very clear to me sitting out there today, that every decision I've ever made, in my entire life, has been wrong. My life is the opposite of everything I want it to be. Every instinct I have, in every of life, be it something to wear, something to eat... It's all been wrong.

Jerry Seinfeld : If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:28 am
Now, you should transcribe this monologue, and save me the effort.

The Obsolete Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3quruHpcuo
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

You'll be wrong about everything the 2nd; and 3rd; and 4th and Nth times too.

You are always wrong about everything.
If you're wrong about everything then you are also wrong about being wrong.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Gary, I'm still waiting for you to transcribe that link.
Do you have something more important to do?
That you think you do, is the old way.
That's the old Gary.

If you go the old way
And do as you say
You will not transcribe the link.

If you venture into the unknown
You will do as I say
And you will transcribe not only the monlogue
But the dialogue.

Why?

You don't need to know why, because your knowing why, is the road that led to your self-assessment, of being "wrong about everything."

Discovering why is found out through the doing and btw, doing is the final arbiter that defines what's commonly called, choice.

Diving into the big stuff with only necessary and fundamental calculations awakens the vitalizing and effortless energy required for the unknown that unerringly follows intent in the often unpredictable ways of wu wei.

Post by Age »

Peter Kropotkin wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:49 pm
what you believed in and why....
Including even questioning why even have any beliefs, at all?
Peter Kropotkin wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:49 pm why these beliefs and not other beliefs?
But why even have any?

There is obviously no necessity to.
Peter Kropotkin wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:49 pm you have a great opportunity in front of you... take advantage of it....

Kropotkin
But there is no actual use in questioning, if you are never going to do any answering.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Life [philosophy, the person, humanity] is a like a river forever progressing in its flow toward the ocean.
Thus, whether one perceive it or not, one is progressing in some ways regardless of what one is doing while alive.
While progressing in this sense, the least minimum is to keep away from all the rubbish [negative thoughts] one is flowing along with and whatever positives will spontaneously emerge therefrom.

If one encounter hindrances along the way, just hop on to a raft or a cruise ship, i.e. God where one can shift all their burdens to, with the hope [at least there is still hope] will resolve whatever the problem one have.
Such a God is the all-positive God and never cling to any God that is evil laden.

Analogy:
It is an inherent evolutionary default for the majority to seek a coping mechanism in the event of facing a corner or dead end.
Imaginary-friends automatically or naturally emerged in many children [they perceive as real] as a coping mechanism for various reasons and that is therapeutic.
Since this coping mechanism is an evolutionary default and it is inherent in all humans, adults who has to give up 'imaginary friends' has to resort to an all-powerful God to soothe the cognitive dissonances. They believe that their God is really real, but like imaginary friends they are illusory.

I was a theists but now a non-theist; I believe for those who face corners and dead-end scenarios regularly, it is most effective to believe in a God [all positive one] even though if such a God is illusory, albeit as a useful illusion.

It is very tough for most of the individual human to go on their own without recourse to some powerful power for help.