Any Outdoorsy FT-Vanlife Artist Veteran Philosophs out there?

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Andy M

Any Outdoorsy FT-Vanlife Artist Veteran Philosophs out there?

Post by Andy M »

Hi All,

My name's Andy. I'm 44. I make my living as a nurse ATM, but I'm trying to transition out of that. I live in a small, unimproved van FT, and I love it because I don't have to be around people I dislike and I can travel to beautiful places. I especially love water (oceans, the beach, hot springs, waterfalls, rivers) but deserts, mountains, and forests are my jam too.

I've dabbled with photography, but my main art is old-school Techno & House.

I was in the Navy, 99-03.

Relative to pop-culture, I consider myself conservative, but I've done lots of wild stuff that might be considered "liberal" (like lived with artists and "anarchists", experienced some communes, enjoyed LSD and MDMA in my 20s, worked in a gay bar as a straight guy, lived in poor black neighborhoods as a white guy, etc.) I can tolerate any point of view, so long as people don't act like jerks.

Any philosophers out there who like any of the stuff I do? I'm looking to make some friends who like intelligent conversation, so that's why I'm here. Feel free to DM me.

Cheers!
mickthinks

Re: Any Outdoorsy FT-Vanlife Artist Veteran Philosophs out there?

Post by mickthinks »

Andy M, welcome to the bear garden that is the Philosophy Now Forum!

If you are looking for the warm companionship of like minds, I can confidently predict you will not find it here. Here we have a collection of competitive egos, few of whom are capable either of sustaining a proper argument or of recognising when they have been met with a better one. The result can be exasperating and dispiriting, and you may find that you lose the appetite for it and stop visiting. Or you may find that you can ignore the chaff and the flack and focus on the purveyors of worth—maybe half a dozen honest thinkers—who will treat you with respect and whom you will come to respect in return.

I've been coming here since I was in kindergarten. I'm glad you made it.