Do you believe in miracles?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Do you believe in miracles?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:29 pm

I believe in miracles
67%
I don’t believe in miracles
33%
I believe in miracles at times of global conflict
No votes
I think miracles prove divine retribution
No votes
I don’t think miracles are divine
No votes
I think miracles are caused by natural means
No votes
Miracles are illusionary
No votes
I think miracles are compensatory
No votes

Total votes: 3

Skepdick

Re: Do you believe in miracles?

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:00 pm Now either I am correct that fewer miracles are reported because of progress, or that something else is true. SO you think that claimed miracles are true, and that there is either more or the same number being reported per capita now that at any time in the past?
Is that the absurd conclusion that you are aiming for?
No shit, sherlock.

The more previously-unexplained phenomena are explained the less miracles you would expect. DUH!

That's a tautology.
godelian

Post by godelian »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:00 pm Now either I am correct that fewer miracles are reported because of progress, or that something else is true. SO you think that claimed miracles are true, and that there is either more or the same number being reported per capita now that at any time in the past?
I was merely responding to "People no longer rise from the dead". Technically, they do. Everything else you have mentioned, sounds pretty much like a straw man.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

godelian wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:07 pm
I was merely responding to "People no longer rise from the dead". Technically, they do. Everything else you have mentioned, sounds pretty much like a straw man.
My comment was ironic. Fact is People NEVER rise from the dead and never did.
If they technically rise from the dead, then that is an abuse of language, as well as an indication that medical science is more advnaced.
If there is a "strawman" then it is your objection, since this is a thread about "miracles". No miriacle is indicated in any meaningful sense.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Skepdick wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:01 pm
No shit, sherlock.

The more previously-unexplained phenomena are explained the less miracles you would expect. DUH!

That's a tautology.
ANd you can fuck off too
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:58 pm SO you think that claimed miracles are true
What the fuck does that even mean?

If a factual event is deemed miraculous what does it mean for it to be "true"?
Ask some twat that thinks there are such things as miracles, not me.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:58 pm SO you think that claimed miracles are true, and that there is either more or the same number being reported per capita now that at any time in the past?
So, let me see if I understand you.
You did a Master's on Hume and yet you don't understand the basic problem with justifying your position by attacking a position I haven't taken.
I've been asking about, then critiquing, your justification in a philosophy forum.
And 1) you start insulting me when I point out the weaknesses in your justification 2) you manage to concede nothing openly but accidently admit that you were imagining your conclusion and now 3) you are telling me my conclusion, the one you assume I have, is absurd, as if that's a defense of your position and justification.
This is philosophy 101 mistakey-wakey stuff: you're not and haven't made a defense of your (lack of) justification. And I mean, in the kind of informal way one might expect here. If they let you get that degree, I'd like to have a few harsh words with your dissertation advisor.

The irony is that you seem to see yourself as the voice of reason and you don't understand really rather basic things about supporting claims/justifying your assertions.

That would all be forgivable if you didn't start insulting people whenever your inability to justify yourself gets even more obvious.

I do not respect you, and I'll go back to ignoring you. Jesus, what an ass.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:56 pm
Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:58 pm SO you think that claimed miracles are true

You reject the existence of miracles a priori ?!?

Wow! You must be so omniscient that you can explain absolutely everything.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:55 pm ANd you can fuck off too
I can. But I don't want to.

Why don't you fuck off instead?
godelian

Post by godelian »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:55 pm Fact is People NEVER rise from the dead and never did.
According to medical theory, they do:
Lazarus syndrome
It is also used to refer to the spontaneous return of cardiac activity after the patient has been pronounced dead.[2] Its occurrence has been noted in medical literature at least 38 times since 1982.
The benchmark for "dead" is medical theory, which could be incomplete or wrong, but that does not matter. In the end, it is sufficient for the event to be inexplicable by existing theory, which is itself not required to be perfect.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

godelian wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:29 pm The benchmark for "dead" is medical theory, which could be incomplete or wrong, but that does not matter. In the end, it is sufficient for the event to be inexplicable by existing theory, which is itself not required to be perfect.
None of this matters to the dogmatic scientific realist. He presumes himself omniscient from the onset.

"No miracles" is axiomatic. Anything miraculous simply needs more sciencing.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:12 pm
Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:58 pm SO you think that claimed miracles are true, and that there is either more or the same number being reported per capita now that at any time in the past?
So, let me see if I understand you.
You did a Master's on Hume and yet you don't understand the basic problem with justifying your position by attacking a position I haven't taken.
I've been asking about, then critiquing, your justification in a philosophy forum.
The point I made is painfully obvious and needs no defence.
As I have said I have wasted too much tme on this issue.
I don't know and no longer care if you want to defend the notion of miracles, or not.

There are no miracles.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Skepdick wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:18 pm
Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:56 pm

You reject the existence of miracles a priori ?!?

Wow! You must be so omniscient that you can explain absolutely everything.
Please refer to the comments I made some time ago.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Skepdick wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:34 pm
godelian wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:29 pm The benchmark for "dead" is medical theory, which could be incomplete or wrong, but that does not matter. In the end, it is sufficient for the event to be inexplicable by existing theory, which is itself not required to be perfect.
None of this matters to the dogmatic scientific realist. He presumes himself omniscient from the onset.

"No miracles" is axiomatic. Anything miraculous simply needs more sciencing.

Please refer to the comments I made some time ago.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

godelian wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:29 pm
Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:55 pm Fact is People NEVER rise from the dead and never did.
According to medical theory, they do:
Lazarus syndrome
It is also used to refer to the spontaneous return of cardiac activity after the patient has been pronounced dead.[2] Its occurrence has been noted in medical literature at least 38 times since 1982.
The benchmark for "dead" is medical theory, which could be incomplete or wrong, but that does not matter. In the end, it is sufficient for the event to be inexplicable by existing theory, which is itself not required to be perfect.
Are you trying to claim that this syndome is a "miracle" or a medical condition?

Post by Age »

godelian wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:27 am
Age wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:19 am But, as I have already implied, 'There is no event that is inexplicable by natural or scientific laws'.
Now, is there absolutely any one here brave enough to put up 'an, actual, event', which they think or believe happened and/or occurred outside of 'Nature', Itself? If yes, then great and will you?
Some examples of phenomena that science cannot explain:

- 9 phenomena that science still can't explain
- 11 epic mysteries scientists totally can’t solve
- 25 Natural Phenomena That Science Has Yet To Explain

There is also the list of unsolved problems in physics.

Because of my personal research interests, I am much more familiar with the inexplicable truths in mathematics than with the ones in science. But then again, you can easily consult various lists of phenomena that cannot be explained by science.
So, again, there is no event that is inexplicable by natural or scientific laws.