VA: Knowledge & Descriptions CANNOT Produce Facts

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Iwannaplato

Re: VA: Knowledge & Descriptions CANNOT Produce Facts

Post by Iwannaplato »

Skepdick wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:11 am
Flannel Jesus wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:09 am If you know it's not mind -independent, that doesn't leave a lot of alternatives...
That's how truth works.

Least you wish to furnish us with some mind-independent knowledge.
I assume you meant 'lest'.
VA has done this.
He's show us images of what things are like in quantum superpostion when no one is experiencing them. How things are when they are not experienced. That's the clearest example.

I know you were asking FJ, but the point is that VA has done this while saying nothing exists. And further, he's no agnostic about it. He says they do not exist.

Just a tiny concession to draw that back, especially given the above-mentioned images and claims and then other claims he makes about things that are mind independent and what they are like.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:13 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:05 am Like theism, the onus is on the philosophical realist to prove there is such a mind-independent reality..
this is where VA goes regularly lost. Yes, the realits who claims there is a mind independent reality needs to support that, at least in philosophical contexts.
But when VA claims there is no mind independent reality he gets a burden. He's not been presenting himself as agnostic. He has a belief and a claim.

And further he often refers to things that were around when there were not minds, but also to things as they are when not experienced - particles in superpostion, the unexperienced quantum foam, which he even gave us pictures of.

And this despite him saying such things do not exist.
Why? His view is the default position given the predominant paradigm in contemporary science. The subjective experience of the observer is fundamental - literally all of physics centers around that.
What we observe is not nature in itself but nature exposed to our method of questioning. --Werner Heisenberg
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:13 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:05 am Like theism, the onus is on the philosophical realist to prove there is such a mind-independent reality..
this is where VA goes regularly lost. Yes, the realits who claims there is a mind independent reality needs to support that, at least in philosophical contexts.
But when VA claims there is no mind independent reality he gets a burden. He's not been presenting himself as agnostic. He has a belief and a claim.
Yeah, I'm pretty lost now that he's suddenly trying to make it look like he's made no claim. He's been claiming explicitly that there's no mind independent reality for a long time now, that's not a non-claim.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:16 am He's show us images of what things are like in quantum superpostion when no one is experiencing them. How things are when they are not experienced. That's the clearest example.
That's a grave misunderstanding on non-physicists part.

Quantum superpositions encode/represents of our knowledge (more precisely: our uncertainty) about the outcome of measurements - that's why it's a probability distribution. The measurement could be in any one of those states - with certain states being more likely than others.

And then you take a measurement and the probability collapses to a certainty.
Last edited by Skepdick on Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:20 am Yeah, I'm pretty lost now that he's suddenly trying to make it look like he's made no claim. He's been claiming explicitly that there's no mind independent reality for a long time now, that's not a non-claim.
Yay! Round ... whatever - I lost count...of burden tennis!

Is the rejection of a claim itself a claim? Apparently it isn't.

Saying "There is no God" is not a claim. It's merely the rejection of the claim that there is a God - the burden of proving that there is a God has not been met by the theists, so I lack a belief in God.

Saying "There is no mind-independent reality" is not a claim. It's merely the rejection of the claim that there is a mind-independent reality - the burden of proving that there is a mind-independent reality has not been met by the realists, so I lack a belief in a mind-independent reality.

Of course, it needs not saying (and yet I will say it anyway) - it is entirely possible that both God and a mind-independent reality exist, but both of those are religious beliefs.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Skepdick wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:23 am That's a grave misunderstanding on non-physicists part.

Quantum superpositions encode/represents of our knowledge (more precisely: our uncertainty) about the outcome of measurements - that's why it's a probability distribution. The measurement could be in any one of those states - with certain states being more likely than others.

Yes, I'm familiar with how they conceive of superposition states or non-states or the outofwhich something will collapse to. But VA was showing us pictures of how things are when the wave has not collapsed. What reality is actually like. IOW: silly PH, there is no chair there when your are not looking THIS is there instead.

I really can't conflate your paraphrase of how some physicists would describe that with the way VA communicates when he forgets what his own positions entail.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:09 pm
Skepdick wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:23 am That's a grave misunderstanding on non-physicists part.

Yes, I'm familiar with how they conceive of superposition states or non-states or the outofwhich something will collapse to. But VA was showing us pictures of how things are when the wave has not collapsed. What reality is actually like. IOW: silly PH, there is no chair there when your are not looking THIS is there instead.

I really can't conflate your paraphrase of how some physicists would describe that with the way VA communicates when he forgets what his own positions entail.
Ok but then your words make no sense. If you understand how QM works, and you understand that there can be no talk of ontology when no measurement is being taken then how can you also say this?
Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:16 am VA has done this.
He's show us images of what things are like in quantum superpostion when no one is experiencing them. How things are when they are not experienced. That's the clearest example.
How can VA "do" what QM doesn't allow him to do?

To "provide mind-independent knowledge" in QM is to violate QM. The request is unsatisfiable - it's the sort of request one poses to test if the other party is an idiot.
FlashDangerpants

Re: VA: Descriptions CANNOT Produce Facts

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:19 pm
What people don't get about VA is that he didn't start with the Kantian antirealism thing and then subvert it with constructivist scientism and then undermine both with a belief in natural moral facts. He started with the conclusion he wanted to reach, namely that it is scientific and philosophical fact that one particular religion is evil, and then somebody told him about Hume's is/ought thing, so he read up a bit until he learned about Kant and he became a Kantian for a while in order to say boo to Hume and the rest is all just incremental fuckups from there.
I actually think he's gotten more sophisticated.
He's just started a crazy new thread nominally about Wittgenstein but none of it is about any content expressed within any book by the W guy. It's just random shit about FSK thingies, a big lump of irrelevant Kant, and then a mention of some other philosopher whos work VA cannot sensibly describe.

Check out his old work and you'll find a nonsensical thread about "language games" where he obviously hadn't read any source material and didn't get the concept.

That's been his MO for years. He hasn't improved one jot.
Skepdick

Re: VA: Descriptions CANNOT Produce Facts

Post by Skepdick »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:04 am He's just started a crazy new thread nominally about Wittgenstein but none of it is about any content expressed within any book by the W guy. It's just random shit about FSK thingies, a big lump of irrelevant Kant, and then a mention of some other philosopher whos work VA cannot sensibly describe.

Check out his old work and you'll find a nonsensical thread about "language games" where he obviously hadn't read any source material and didn't get the concept.

That's been his MO for years. He hasn't improved one jot.
What is this "improvement" you speak about? Weren't you supposed to be a moral skeptic?
FlashDangerpants wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:03 pm I'm a moral skeptic
It sure sounds like you have some FSK in mind for discerning VA's "improvement" from VA's"stagnation" or VA's "deterioration".

It's almost like you are agreeing with him at the exact same time you are shitting all over him.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Skepdick wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:55 am Ok but then your words make no sense. If you understand how QM works, and you understand that there can be no talk of ontology when no measurement is being taken then how can you also say this?
How can VA say what he said or show pictures of what things look like when there's no measurement? There's the rub. It's a rub he created for himself. I certainly didn't ask him to. He just couldn't hold himself back from being a realist and lecturing. Or so it seems since it directly contradicted things he said and said many, many times.
How can VA "do" what QM doesn't allow him to do?
I'm not always sure what's intended, ironic or just a side product of our floppy language, but I think it's funny VA contradicts QM while appealing to it's authority. But sure, I don't think of QM as an agent, and certainly not one capable of stopping from doing silly things like that.
To "provide mind-independent knowledge" in QM is to violate QM. The request is unsatisfiable - it's the sort of request one poses to test if the other party is an idiot.
I haven't requested he do this. He did it on his own, Unasked for, at least by me. He did it, it seems, without realizing he was contradicting the entire point of his suddenly getting fascinated by qm, to support an anti-realism which he started talking about to because.....

I think the process is that someone raises on objection to something he says X. So, he finds [anything at all] to support his X. Or to attack their attack on X. He hasn't really thought through whatever he drags and an appeals to the authority of. So, then he has to find support of this. And along the way he's gathered a mass of positions, which may or may not fit him well, and may not fit his other positions well. I think he's a realist, but if he is this causes problems. In any case he writes as if he's a realist a lot of the time, sometimes even in support of his anti-realism.

IOW he really wants to tell us what things are like, period, objectively, even when we are not around to notice - wants to be and often is a realist
While needing for his battle with PH to deny there is an independent reality out there - entailing that realists are outmoded, anti-scientific poo poo heads.
So, despite this latter postion he throws realism at us, sometimes even when directly fighting realism.
When it's pointed out he shifts to something else.
He has often told us what things are like when we don't measure and when we are not around, when no observation was made, and has yes even provided images showing us what it's like when no one is looking. He could have managed to leave this out, and I didn't ask him to do this - and he doesn't read me anyway - but he did it, so I point it out.

Not that he reads what I post. I like the exercise. Why he doesn't read my posts I don't know. I haven't been as harsh as PH or FDP have been. Nor you for that matter in relation to him. I'd love to take that to mean I am just such a clever boy, but you've all raised just peachy objections and these have included may of the ones I've raised if not all of them.

But I enjoy his presence and now think he's a clear plus here. But his plans for the future, yechy poo poo. He's like the butterscotch ice cream of world reformers in my tastes.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Peter Holmes wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:36 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:37 am
My principle as repeated a 'million' times;
Whatever is real, fact, truth must be conditioned upon a specific human-based FSK which dictates objectivity; the most credible and objective FSK is that of the scientific FSK.
As such what is most real is always conditioned upon the human-based scientific FSK.
What is most real cannot exists unconditionally by itself.
Yes, this is your principle, you've repeated it a million times, AND IT'S FALSE. The expression 'conditioned upon' is undefined. But if it means anything, it's that a description - and so a truth-claim - is always contextual and conventional.

BUT A DESCRIPTION IS NOT THE DESCRIBED. A DESCRIPTION DOES NOT BRING THE DESCRIBED INTO EXISTENCE. IT DOESN'T MAKE THE DESCRIBED REAL, OR MORE OR LESS REAL. AND THE DESCRIBED WOULD EXIST EVEN IF THERE WERE NO HUMANS TO DESCRIBE IT.

So your 'principle' is a load of rubbish, and your whole argument collapses with your P1.
You are so naive because I have explained the above a 'million' times and expected you are unlikely to get it because your a stuck in a dogmatic and fundamentalistic 'independence' ideology.
Condition:
1. a particular state of being or existence; situation with respect to circumstances
the human condition
2. something that limits or restricts something else; a qualification
you may enter only under certain conditions
Collins

I had stated and implied many times, 'conditioned upon' is literally, the FSK must be qualified within a particular state of existence, in this case, the human condition.
BUT A DESCRIPTION IS NOT THE DESCRIBED. A DESCRIPTION DOES NOT BRING THE DESCRIBED INTO EXISTENCE. IT DOESN'T MAKE THE DESCRIBED REAL, OR MORE OR LESS REAL. AND THE DESCRIBED WOULD EXIST EVEN IF THERE WERE NO HUMANS TO DESCRIBE IT.
The more you CAP your point, the more it showed your immaturity and irresponsibility.

I have directed you to this before whenever the above question is reai;
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39925

Perceiving, Knowing & Describing a Thing Not Related to Existence of the Thing
viewtopic.php?t=40715

Reality: Emergence & Realization Prior to Perceiving, Knowing & Describing
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40145

Can you confirm you have read the above threads?
The next time the same POINTS burst out of your head, remember the above threads.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Peter Holmes wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:31 am Beware labels and their baggage. For example, belief in the 'real' existence of Platonic forms used to be called philosophical realism - as IWP has been pointing out. So it's better to assert actual beliefs, claims and arguments, rather than rely on labels. And here's VA spelling out his position again.

'My principle is this;
whatever is real, exists, true, factual, knowledge and objective is conditioned upon a specific human-based FSRK of which the scientific FSRK is the most objective.'

Assuming 'conditioning' here refers to some kind of dependence, VA says that reality - whatever exists - depends on human ways of knowing and describing it. And this is obviously nonsense, because it mistakes what we know and say about things for the way things are.

That we have to perceive, know and describe reality in human ways does not entail the conclusion that reality is the way(s) we perceive, know and describe it. That just doesn't follow - and besides, it's an absurdly anthropocentric claim.

Also, the natural science objectivity that VA commends can have no other source than its capacity to explain the way(s) reality actually is - how ever provisional and revisable such explanations are. Without this capacity, the notion of degrees of objectivity is incoherent. Why is physics 'more objective' than astrology - and how can we know it is? VA's theory can't explain.
Strawman. You are shooting your own self-made strawman. I have never agreed to the below;
PH: Assuming 'conditioning' here refers to some kind of dependence, VA says that reality - whatever exists - depends on human ways of knowing and describing it. And this is obviously nonsense, because it mistakes what we know and say about things for the way things are.

We have gone through this a 'million' times and I have highlighted your strawman and explained my position in detail, but you have not bothered to understand [not necessary agree with] my explanations.

Here they are again are my explanations;

Reality: Emergence & Realization Prior to Perceiving, Knowing & Describing
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40145
What is Emergence & Realization
viewtopic.php?t=40721
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39925 Apr 10, 2023
Perceiving, Knowing & Describing a Thing Not Related to Existence of the Thing
viewtopic.php?t=40715

For your intellectual integrity sake, give in your own words, what is your understanding [not agreement or disagreement] of my thesis above.
The gist of it is, there is prior emergence and realization process before humans perceive, know and describe that reality as knowledge.

It is imperative you understand a thesis fully and properly before you counter it.