My "Burning Bush-like" encounter with God.

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

Re: My "Burning Bush-like" encounter with God.

Post by bahman »

seeds wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:20 am
bahman wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:30 pm I have read your entire posts.
My thanks to you, bahman, and to all those who have taken the time to read that whole story. I know it's a lot to expect of the members and visitors.
You are very welcome. I indeed enjoyed reading about your experiences. I am always curious to know about people's experiences to see if there are the same patterns in them. I had a lot of experiences with dead people, Satan, God, Vampires, and the like as well.
bahman wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:30 pm I have had my own spiritual experiences as well which are very extensive. I have never used LSD but marijuana. It has been a long time past since my last use.
I don't know how long it's been for you, but I haven't partaken in any mind-altering substances (including alcohol) in over 40 years. I found that I reached a point where they were inhibiting my goals.
Good for you.
seeds wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:20 am One minor and unfortunate effect of that decision is that I'm no fun at parties anymore. :D
I know what you mean. I am missing marijuana as well.
bahman wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:30 pm I am still having spiritual experiences as well. There were times when my experience meant something to me. Now I am very skeptical. Perhaps they are all produced by my subconscious mind. Maybe not. I don't know!
Well, one thing certain for me is that (unless I am plagued with Alzheimer's disease or something similar) I will never forget the experience I described in the extensive OP. For despite what my detractors may say or think, it was a real and tangible occurrence that created an indelible memory for me.

It's also the reason why I become so frustrated with the proponents of hardcore materialism, and with those who adamantly insist that "God is an impossibility to be real" (if you know who I mean :wink:).

Which, obviously, to me, is pure and utter nonsense.
_______
I had lots of thoughts about God and in the end, I came to the conclusion that God cannot be proven or disproven rationally. Experiencing God is another category but that is not a proof either. We have to face death to find the truth.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Walker wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:47 pm There is another possiblity.
Delusions are delusions, and burning bush experiences are burning bush experiences.
This is not a hallucination: I agree with Walker's comment.

There are all kinds of 'non-physical' experiences that people have had (individually or with other people) that are not imagined. They might involve seeing, hearing, feeling, and knowing, suddenly and without expectation. Or they might be used with intent, such as healing, psychic reading, premonitions, remote viewing, etc.

The entire human body is a device which can pick up and transmit seemingly unseen or undetectable signs and signals. It is narrow-minded to suggest that everything is generated by, or related to, brain activity. It is also ridiculous and foolishly arrogant to say that only that which we can physically SEE in our physical reality is that which exists. Perception (and interpretation) varies from person-to-person and moment-to-moment.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Lacewing wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:51 pm
Walker wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:47 pm There is another possiblity.
Delusions are delusions, and burning bush experiences are burning bush experiences.
This is not a hallucination: I agree with Walker's comment.

There are all kinds of 'non-physical' experiences that people have had (individually or with other people) that are not imagined. They might involve seeing, hearing, feeling, and knowing, suddenly and without expectation. Or they might be used with intent, such as healing, psychic reading, premonitions, remote viewing, etc.

The entire human body is a device which can pick up and transmit seemingly unseen or undetectable signs and signals. It is narrow-minded to suggest that everything is generated by, or related to, brain activity. It is also ridiculous and foolishly arrogant to say that only that which we can physically SEE in our physical reality is that which exists. Perception (and interpretation) varies from person-to-person and moment-to-moment.
You know what, while there could be a little truth to parapsychology, what you are doing here is spinning in fantasies. The thing you are terrified by when others do it.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Atla wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:07 pm what you are doing here is spinning in fantasies. The thing you are terrified by when others do it.
Stop projecting. I am not terrified of other's fantasies or realities. What would I possibly have to be terrified about?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Lacewing wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:11 pm
Atla wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:07 pm what you are doing here is spinning in fantasies. The thing you are terrified by when others do it.
Stop projecting. I am not terrified of other's fantasies or realities. What would I possibly have to be terrified about?
LW, I have been holding back on the point Atla is making here, since reading a post of yours in your 'crop-circle' thread where you state that people arn't being open enough and investigating stuff..being closed minded etc...about what others are posting.

As above (forgetting the 'terrified' comment) if you remember how you always attacked me whenever I mentioned my experiences and my analysis of God, calling me deluded and lost in fantasy. ...well, the pot n the kettle thang :wink:

However! We've moved on now. :D
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:26 am LW, I have been holding back on the point Atla is making here, since reading a post of yours in your 'crop-circle' thread where you state that people arn't being open enough and investigating stuff..being closed minded etc...about what others are posting.

As above (forgetting the 'terrified' comment) if you remember how you always attacked me whenever I mentioned my experiences and my analysis of God, calling me deluded and lost in fantasy. ...well, the pot n the kettle thang :wink:

Yes, I know I've given you a hard time about some of the things you've said. I'd like to point out some distinctions though...

> I did question you about your claims (trying to explore some of them) which was met by rudeness from you. Perhaps you thought I was being rude to even ask the questions.

> I didn't really trust your credibility since you would come onto the forum drunk and belligerent one day, and then return to claim to be divinely inspired the next. Both could be true (yes!)... I just didn't know how to reconcile the extremes.

And, most important...

> My primary 'issue' is with people claiming to know a god that somehow is applicable to everyone, whether or not other people believe that. When you said things like "I can tell people that God is real...", you left off the "for me" part, which would put such a blanket statement in a better context as your own experience.

So, that's why I gave you a hard time THEN (I hope that makes sense to you now)... and I don't hold grudges when we are able to connect and talk without presumptions and projections... I love doing that.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:36 am
attofishpi wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:26 am LW, I have been holding back on the point Atla is making here, since reading a post of yours in your 'crop-circle' thread where you state that people arn't being open enough and investigating stuff..being closed minded etc...about what others are posting.

Yes, I know I've given you a hard time about some of the things you've said. I'd like to point out some distinctions though...

> I did question you about your claims (trying to explore some of them) which was met by rudeness from you. Perhaps you thought I was being rude to even ask the questions.

> I didn't really trust your credibility since you would come onto the forum drunk and belligerent one day, and then return to claim to be divinely inspired the next. Both could be true (yes!)... I just didn't know how to reconcile the extremes.

And, most important...

> My primary 'issue' is with people claiming to know a god that somehow is applicable to everyone, whether or not other people believe that. When you said things like "I can tell people that God is real...", you left off the "for me" part, which would put such a blanket statement in a better context as your own experience.

So, that's why I gave you a hard time THEN (I hope that makes sense to you now)... and I don't hold grudges when we are able to connect and talk without presumptions and projections... I love doing that.
Fair enough.
As far as my being rude from my POV it wasn't so much from your questioning of me (although admittedly when drunk, I could flip out over questions I deemed irrelevant or daft for the thread) it was when you were dismissive of what I was saying, back to those "delusional fantasy" words...really really really did piss me off!! :lol:
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:49 am Fair enough.
As far as my being rude from my POV it wasn't so much from your questioning of me (although admittedly when drunk, I could flip out over questions I deemed irrelevant or daft for the thread) it was when you were dismissive of what I was saying, back to those "delusional fantasy" words...really really really did piss me off!! :lol:
My little devil may have been getting pleasure from spearing your little devil. I figured you would simply ignore/dismiss me, as you seemed inclined to do. I'm sorry for causing such aggravation for you. I'm trying to be good now.
seeds

Post by seeds »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:12 pm
seeds wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:29 am So, at the risk of the inevitable mockery and ridicule that is sure to come my way,...
Ah yes... always plenty of that. In it's way, that too is informative and entertaining about human beings. 8)

I really enjoyed hearing your story! Thank you for sharing it.
Thank you, Lacewing, for your thoughtful reply to my OP.

I won't attempt to address all of it right now, but here are a few thoughts in response to some of it...
seeds wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:29 am And right at that moment, an absolute “KNOWING” was imparted to me – a knowing that Daddy Brown was safe and not actually dead.
Lacewing wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:12 pm I get it. I've experienced that kind of absolute "KNOWING" too. Momentarily stepping through the veil that separates our limited material reality from what is so much greater than that. I don't think a person can do it or even understand a description of it while being in a dense mindset. But once you've experienced it, not only do you never forget, but the experience informs you for the rest of your life.
Yes, an excellent assessment.
seeds wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:29 am The preceding experience had such a profound effect on me that I soon thereafter quit the diving team...(relinquishing an athletic scholarship, along with all of that temporary campus glory that a 19 year old university sophomore might enjoy...)

I was from then-on obsessed with exploring this new-found state of being that not only opened a door to an entirely new way of looking at reality, but also made me vividly aware of the vast potential of the human mind.
Lacewing wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:12 pm Wow! Yes, it changes everything.
Boy, did it ever!

Even to the point of sometimes making it difficult to realize how radically different your mind and thinking had become - post LSD as opposed to the way things were (mentally) prior to that first trip.

In later years, I eventually came to realize that the change I experienced after tripping on LSD is probably something similar to what the NASA astronauts call the "Overview Effect" as they look back at the earth from outer space (especially from the moon).

The following is from the website "INVERSE," from an article where - "...six NASA astronauts describe the moment in space when "everything changed"...":
Overview Effect
In doing so, all of them went through a change, not only in how they saw the planet but in their relationship to it. Some refer to that change as the “ Overview Effect,” a term coined in 1987 by celebrated space writer Frank White to describe the mental shift astronauts experience when they consider the Earth as part of a larger whole.
That's why I have often suggested that NASA should launch a mission designed to take the most advanced 3-D imaging cameras and go far enough out into space for the sole purpose of capturing images of the full globe of the earth in its entirety with a real view of the same 3-D "parallax" that the astronauts see.

They could also coordinate a world-wide event where they tell everyone on the planet to stand outside at certain times and wave at the sky at the precise moment when certain 3-D pictures and 3-D videos are taken.

They could then offer these 3-D images in every format imaginable, not only via the modern IMAX 3-D theaters and VR headsets, but even via these old (and cheap) methods...

...with the idea that by everyone on the planet being able to see the whole earth in its full 3-D, parallaxial splendor relative to the backdrop of the moon, sun, and stars as the astronauts see it,...

...along with the added bonus of knowing that they were waving at the camera when the images were taken,...

...it just might trigger the "Overview Effect."

Which, in turn, might help everyone realize just how ridiculous it is that we have divided ourselves between imaginary (non-existent) lines that we call national borders and incompatible ideologies, when, in fact, we are all in this together as - what should be - a unified species of being who all share in the common goal of ensuring the well-being of the whole of humanity.

Wouldn't that be cool?

If nothing else, it could bring the whole world together in a brief moment of universal comradery where we all share in a fun and uniting event that we all can keep reliving as we look through the lenses of our Stereopticons, View-Masters, and VR headsets.

Anyway, I guess the point hidden amidst that digression into a NASA mission is that what happens to your mind when you drop acid isn't called a "trip" for no good reason. :lol:
Lacewing wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:12 pm My 5-year experimentation period during the second half of my twenties was during my marriage (which only lasted as long as my LSD experimentation :lol: ), and my trips were always wonderful, mind-expanding flights around the Universe while listening to music or exploring outside in nature. My only negative experience was when my husband forgot who I was and started jumping on the bed naked and then wanted to run outside onto a public street. I was thrust into being a 'caretaker' of him while being in full-blown tripping mode, myself. Aside from that, is was an extraordinarily beneficial time of exploration for me.
That's a great (and funny) story. Thanks for sharing that.
seeds wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:29 am the fledgling (Ultimate Seed) theory I had been developing.../...the time has now arrived for the release and dissemination of the information that finally finishes (resolves) the "mystery" of what God actually is.
Lacewing wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:12 pm Yes, I don't know. I might look at your theory some more. Personally, I've just gotten the sense that everything is 'fine' as it is (which flips people out when I say that). :lol: It's hard to express experiences that seem to be beyond mundane human understanding. Telepathy would perhaps be much more efficient than describing with words. But, like you (and like many), I do my best to express what I hope might be helpful/inspiring to some.
Yes, you are absolutely right, Lacewing, everything is fine.

Except for the fact that all of the old religions are floundering (and drowning) in the wake of the modern discoveries in the realms of quantum physics and astrophysics, etc., and need to be replaced by something that makes more sense - something other than materialism's "chance hypothesis",,..

...of which if what I described in my OP is true, is no longer (and never has been) a viable option.
_______
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:05 am
attofishpi wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:49 am Fair enough.
My little devil may have been getting pleasure from spearing your little devil. I figured you would simply ignore/dismiss me, as you seemed inclined to do. I'm sorry for causing such aggravation for you. I'm trying to be good now.
No worries! Me too!
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

seeds wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:16 am
Lacewing wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:12 pm Wow! Yes, it changes everything.
Boy, did it ever!

Even to the point of sometimes making it difficult to realize how radically different your mind and thinking had become - post LSD as opposed to the way things were (mentally) prior to that first trip.
Yes!! Like going from 3D to 4D. Having that view/shift with my mind changed the reality within which I've lived ever since.
seeds wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:16 am ...with the idea that by everyone on the planet being able to see the whole earth in its full 3-D, parallaxial splendor relative to the backdrop of the moon, sun, and stars as the astronauts see it,.../...might trigger the "Overview Effect."
I think that would be a valuable experience for people to have... but I don't think it (and not even virtual reality) could trigger the kind of 'this is what I am or am not' awareness that comes from LSD. It seems important (to me) to actually move through and within such an awareness, in order to completely feel being part of it to that degree.
seeds wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:16 amWhich, in turn, might help everyone realize just how ridiculous it is that we have divided ourselves between imaginary (non-existent) lines that we call national borders and incompatible ideologies, when, in fact, we are all in this together as - what should be - a unified species of being who all share in the common goal of ensuring the well-being of the whole of humanity.
That definitely could be a valuable insight from your experiment. The superficiality of borders and division.

The next step of understanding beyond that might be to realize how we have not just limited ourselves but actually imprisoned ourselves and our thinking. We have created little boxes within which we function! And we've done this on so many levels and in so many ways.
seeds wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:16 amExcept for the fact that all of the old religions are floundering (and drowning) in the wake of the modern discoveries in the realms of quantum physics and astrophysics, etc., and need to be replaced by something that makes more sense,,.
I do think some kind of 'spiritual perspective' could help inform and support one in living their life. It's just that we humans seem so prone to distort and control in service to our egos and fears -- and that turns everything into something else entirely (even if it started out for beneficial reasons). As a result, I suppose, I'm focused more on repeatable results rather than ultimate answers. I have consistently found that my own life/experience works really well -- and brings me all the answers/guidance I need -- when I'm in the flow with the right intent. That is my own 'spiritual' practice. :)
meno_

Post by meno_ »

I can’t repeat what I just wrote , but in essence, since my acid trip back in 1969. had I looked at the goddess in the middle of a mandala, I would have certainly died that second, but I evaded the sight, and have never not sustained that moment in time, and will never have to take LSD again, for it’s become a natural recurrence, and hard wired to boot.