So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sculptor

Re: Death and meaning of life

Post by Sculptor »

Walker wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:01 am
Sculptor wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:51 am
Walker wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:27 am
That something happened, is the proof that it needed to happen.
This is elementary, Watson.
It's Ipso facto, Poncho.
No.
"Need" implies a needer.
You are talking bollocks.
Remember, this is big picture stuff. The needer could be the whole planet, since everything is part cause of everything else, in varying degrees.
I think you have lost the plot.
osgart

Re: Death and meaning of life

Post by osgart »

This is my perspective:

Life is creating meaning and relationship with all those things a person chooses to care about and comes their way while they are alive. In general a person can choose a life of values and virtues, or vices and codes of bad conduct.

Even joy, love, and peace bring the pain of loss, and the suffering of absence. Yet a life without the virtues and values that bring joys, love, and peace is nothing but destructive and dangerous with no sureness and no trust, and no value.

If a person is grateful for their life then they'll move forward in good conscience after having lost love, and continue on with meaningful lives and never grow bitter and resentful.

Joy isn't mere happiness or some warm and fuzzy feeling. There's joy in doing hard things. There's joy in living a life of purpose and meaning. Joy is often misunderstood as a fantasy feeling in a miserable place. There's joy amidst tragedy, and horrible adversity. There's joy in overcoming. There's joy being alone if that's how things shake out. There's joy in facing death.

Joy, love, and peace are often hard fought victories amidst terrible things. In the context of death if we all cease to exist it's best to be grateful and appreciative of the miracle of life. If death isn't the end then that could be a pleasant surprise.

Making life better for the love of others is about the best meaning life can have. And if that love is deserved it's reciprocated.

Or people can be total nihilists and revel in their meaningless and insignificant lives. Or empty hedonistic pleasures. Ego maniacs might find it good to be king/queen and have pleasure and power at their whim. People revel in conquering, thrill seeking, and pleasurable beauty. But nobody loves a tyrant. Tyrants are spiteful narcissists.

I suppose one could live for wealth, beauty and power, prestige, and reputation. At the end of the day that's all vanity, and emptiness without love.

That's life and death the way I see it.