Name that fallacy...

Known unknowns and unknown unknowns!

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate
Posts: 3467
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: Name that fallacy...

Post by Advocate »

[quote=FlashDangerpants post_id=682923 time=1701709151 user_id=11800]
There is a fallacy rampant about these parts, but for which I know no name. I imagine that there exists a formal name for it, but if not I guess we must provide one. I am tempted to borrow from the Greek myth of Cassandra who was gifted with special insight, but cursed to be never believed but that's an overused example so let's at least try and do better than that.

The bare bones of the fallacy are the simple shouts: "nobody understands me"; "all I see is strawmen"; "everybody ad homs me" ...or ... "in the DAyS whEn THIS wrITTen so caLLED "ADulT HuMANs" COUld NOT UNDERSTAnd HoW WISe iT WaS".

These complaints explain why nobody subscribes to the Morality-Proper-FSK. Why the whole world thinks Eggnog7 and Advocate are a pair of dumb motherfuckers, not the ultimate geniuses each sees in the mirror. And of course everything there is to know about Kenneth.




So is there already a name for this situation of unique genius that nobody can understand which so many of our more mentally supercharged yet somehow challenged forumites live under?
[/quote]

My answers speak for themselves and because they'd are The Truth it's completely irrelevant who else gets it. Some do. The fallacy is the assumption of infallibility of ordinary people in relation to extraordinary claims for which they have neither the ability or desire to examine the evidence of in a rational and neutral manner. In short, ego + lack of critical thinking ability, by whatever name.
Advocate
Posts: 3467
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: Name that fallacy...

Post by Advocate »

[quote=FlashDangerpants post_id=683090 time=1701784785 user_id=11800]
[quote=Iwannaplato post_id=682993 time=1701736347 user_id=3619]
[quote=FlashDangerpants post_id=682923 time=1701709151 user_id=11800]
all I see is strawmen
[/quote]
It's a claim. I haven't seen this one, but for a while one poster was calling everything a strawman.
He seemed to be conflating strawman with instances where some points out what is entailed by a position.
In other words, yes, you didn't assert that. My argument was that your position or argument entails X, which I don't think you will like.
Obviously they didn't directly assert the latter.
But the primary problem with this person's strawman accusation was that he did not justify it.
[/quote]
Advocate complained yesterday that he is regularly assailed with ad homs and strawmen. The Ad homs of course are that he is a compulsive narcissistic braggart with no mojo, and are in that regards both accurate and relevant. Strawmanning him is unnecessary, his compulsive bullshitting unravels without shenanigans.

VA is an unclear communicator on a good day, and tends not to really bother aligning any two of his thoughts with each other on any day at all. Holding any single one of his argumented positions necessitates invalidating a bunch of others, and in dealing with that, it seems to be the case that he cannot describe his own position without glaring obfuscation, and will not endorse any description of it that uncovers any of the obscured elements, so his case may well never be written with clarity and can only be described at all in the format of straw.
[/quote]

My answers stand on their own and the sooner you recognize them as The Truth, the sooner you can stop being suck.
User avatar
FlashDangerpants
Posts: 5996
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: Name that fallacy...

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Advocate wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:55 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:59 pm There is a fallacy rampant about these parts, but for which I know no name. I imagine that there exists a formal name for it, but if not I guess we must provide one. I am tempted to borrow from the Greek myth of Cassandra who was gifted with special insight, but cursed to be never believed but that's an overused example so let's at least try and do better than that.

The bare bones of the fallacy are the simple shouts: "nobody understands me"; "all I see is strawmen"; "everybody ad homs me" ...or ... "in the DAyS whEn THIS wrITTen so caLLED "ADulT HuMANs" COUld NOT UNDERSTAnd HoW WISe iT WaS".

These complaints explain why nobody subscribes to the Morality-Proper-FSK. Why the whole world thinks Eggnog7 and Advocate are a pair of dumb motherfuckers, not the ultimate geniuses each sees in the mirror. And of course everything there is to know about Kenneth.




So is there already a name for this situation of unique genius that nobody can understand which so many of our more mentally supercharged yet somehow challenged forumites live under?
My answers speak for themselves and because they'd are The Truth it's completely irrelevant who else gets it. Some do. The fallacy is the assumption of infallibility of ordinary people in relation to extraordinary claims for which they have neither the ability or desire to examine the evidence of in a rational and neutral manner. In short, ego + lack of critical thinking ability, by whatever name.
Ahem .... this bit is a blatant lie....
Advocate wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:55 pm Some do.
You are the only person in the whole world who thinks you are the cleverest and besterest and wisest of all time. Everyone else in the whole world recognises you as a window-licking narcissist fucknut.

Even the other fucknuts like Roydop, Age and GrandWizzard22 don't respect you.
Advocate
Posts: 3467
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: Name that fallacy...

Post by Advocate »

[quote=FlashDangerpants post_id=693014 time=1706375437 user_id=11800]
[quote=Advocate post_id=693011 time=1706374550 user_id=15238]
[quote=FlashDangerpants post_id=682923 time=1701709151 user_id=11800]
There is a fallacy rampant about these parts, but for which I know no name. I imagine that there exists a formal name for it, but if not I guess we must provide one. I am tempted to borrow from the Greek myth of Cassandra who was gifted with special insight, but cursed to be never believed but that's an overused example so let's at least try and do better than that.

The bare bones of the fallacy are the simple shouts: "nobody understands me"; "all I see is strawmen"; "everybody ad homs me" ...or ... "in the DAyS whEn THIS wrITTen so caLLED "ADulT HuMANs" COUld NOT UNDERSTAnd HoW WISe iT WaS".

These complaints explain why nobody subscribes to the Morality-Proper-FSK. Why the whole world thinks Eggnog7 and Advocate are a pair of dumb motherfuckers, not the ultimate geniuses each sees in the mirror. And of course everything there is to know about Kenneth.




So is there already a name for this situation of unique genius that nobody can understand which so many of our more mentally supercharged yet somehow challenged forumites live under?
[/quote]

My answers speak for themselves and because they'd are The Truth it's completely irrelevant who else gets it. Some do. The fallacy is the assumption of infallibility of ordinary people in relation to extraordinary claims for which they have neither the ability or desire to examine the evidence of in a rational and neutral manner. In short, ego + lack of critical thinking ability, by whatever name.
[/quote]

Ahem .... this bit is a blatant lie....
[quote=Advocate post_id=693011 time=1706374550 user_id=15238]
Some do.
[/quote]
You are the only person in the whole world who thinks you are the cleverest and besterest and wisest of all time. Everyone else in the whole world recognises you as a window-licking narcissist fucknut.

Even the other fucknuts like Roydop, Age and GrandWizzard22 don't respect you.
[/quote]

What you just did is called ad hominem. It's almost as though you have neither the desire or ability to judge my claims in a rational and neutral manner. Almost exactly like that. Exactly like that. It's exactly that. That's you. You're that.
Iwannaplato
Posts: 6443
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:55 pm

Re: Name that fallacy...

Post by Iwannaplato »

Advocate wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:53 pm What you just did is called ad hominem. It's almost as though you have neither the desire or ability to judge my claims in a rational and neutral manner. Almost exactly like that. Exactly like that. It's exactly that. That's you. You're that.
Well, it was actually just an out and out insult. He wasn't arguing that your argument is wrong because of who you are. He was simply insulting you.
User avatar
FlashDangerpants
Posts: 5996
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: Name that fallacy...

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Advocate wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:53 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:10 pm
Advocate wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:55 pm My answers speak for themselves and because they'd are The Truth it's completely irrelevant who else gets it. Some do. The fallacy is the assumption of infallibility of ordinary people in relation to extraordinary claims for which they have neither the ability or desire to examine the evidence of in a rational and neutral manner. In short, ego + lack of critical thinking ability, by whatever name.
Ahem .... this bit is a blatant lie....
Advocate wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:55 pm Some do.
You are the only person in the whole world who thinks you are the cleverest and besterest and wisest of all time. Everyone else in the whole world recognises you as a window-licking narcissist fucknut.

Even the other fucknuts like Roydop, Age and GrandWizzard22 don't respect you.
What you just did is called ad hominem. It's almost as though you have neither the desire or ability to judge my claims in a rational and neutral manner. Almost exactly like that. Exactly like that. It's exactly that. That's you. You're that.
Please at least learn what ad hominem means before doing this nonsense. You wouldn't want to repeat that incident where you didn't understand what No True Scotsman meant but were too narcissistic to change course having made an error, you window-licking fucknut.
promethean75
Posts: 4749
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:29 pm

Re: Name that fallacy...

Post by promethean75 »

"Even the other fucknuts like Roydop, Age and GrandWizzard22 don't respect you."

Excuse me, but why was I not included in this list of people?
User avatar
FlashDangerpants
Posts: 5996
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: Name that fallacy...

Post by FlashDangerpants »

promethean75 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:53 pm "Even the other fucknuts like Roydop, Age and GrandWizzard22 don't respect you."

Excuse me, but why was I not included in this list of people?
I made a special point of including Roydop in that one because I feel bad that I keep leaving him out. However his inclusion did force me to eject Handjob7, a man both notorious for his serial killings of rent boys and celebrated for owning the world's largest collection of decapitated* penises. I'm afraid the competition for a place in this list is so intense right now that even Kropotkin has difficulty making the cut.

Rest assured: your petition for recognition has been noted, and the committee will inform you should a position open up in the near future.





* he bites their little heads off.
Atla
Posts: 6385
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:27 am

Re: Name that fallacy...

Post by Atla »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:39 pm
promethean75 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:53 pm "Even the other fucknuts like Roydop, Age and GrandWizzard22 don't respect you."

Excuse me, but why was I not included in this list of people?
I made a special point of including Roydop in that one because I feel bad that I keep leaving him out. However his inclusion did force me to eject Handjob7, a man both notorious for his serial killings of rent boys and celebrated for owning the world's largest collection of decapitated* penises. I'm afraid the competition for a place in this list is so intense right now that even Kropotkin has difficulty making the cut.

Rest assured: your petition for recognition has been noted, and the committee will inform you should a position open up in the near future.





* he bites their little heads off.
What ever happened to the Johndoe anyway? He hasn't posted in half a year now. Could he be in solitary confinement, maybe he did something really nasty to his cellmate?
User avatar
FlashDangerpants
Posts: 5996
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: Name that fallacy...

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Atla wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:55 am
FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:39 pm
promethean75 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:53 pm "Even the other fucknuts like Roydop, Age and GrandWizzard22 don't respect you."

Excuse me, but why was I not included in this list of people?
I made a special point of including Roydop in that one because I feel bad that I keep leaving him out. However his inclusion did force me to eject Handjob7, a man both notorious for his serial killings of rent boys and celebrated for owning the world's largest collection of decapitated* penises. I'm afraid the competition for a place in this list is so intense right now that even Kropotkin has difficulty making the cut.

Rest assured: your petition for recognition has been noted, and the committee will inform you should a position open up in the near future.





* he bites their little heads off.
What ever happened to the Johndoe anyway? He hasn't posted in half a year now. Could he be in solitary confinement, maybe he did something really nasty to his cellmate?
Damn, I didn't even notice. He once spent about 6 months posting 10 times a week but all within the same hour at Thursday lunch times (assuming Pacific time). It seemed fairly obvious he was doing that all using library priviliges in either a prison or a secure mental facility.

I wonder if he's on death row.
Atla
Posts: 6385
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:27 am

Re: Name that fallacy...

Post by Atla »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:35 pm
Atla wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:55 am
FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:39 pm

I made a special point of including Roydop in that one because I feel bad that I keep leaving him out. However his inclusion did force me to eject Handjob7, a man both notorious for his serial killings of rent boys and celebrated for owning the world's largest collection of decapitated* penises. I'm afraid the competition for a place in this list is so intense right now that even Kropotkin has difficulty making the cut.

Rest assured: your petition for recognition has been noted, and the committee will inform you should a position open up in the near future.





* he bites their little heads off.
What ever happened to the Johndoe anyway? He hasn't posted in half a year now. Could he be in solitary confinement, maybe he did something really nasty to his cellmate?
Damn, I didn't even notice. He once spent about 6 months posting 10 times a week but all within the same hour at Thursday lunch times (assuming Pacific time). It seemed fairly obvious he was doing that all using library priviliges in either a prison or a secure mental facility.

I wonder if he's on death row.
Can you really look into those eyes and say he's a maniac?

Image

I certainly can..
User avatar
FlashDangerpants
Posts: 5996
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: Name that fallacy...

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Atla wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:47 pm Can you really look into those eyes and say he's a maniac?

Image

I certainly can..
From Reno to Des Moines, every truck stop rent boy along the i-80 has learned to fear that stare. As they struggle to utangle their fingers from the back hair of monster, and he strangles the life from them, they come to realize that soon, all that will be left of them is the one severed buttock he will render into a flavourless jerky seasoned with nothing but flour.
Atla
Posts: 6385
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:27 am

Re: Name that fallacy...

Post by Atla »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:44 pm
Atla wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:47 pm Can you really look into those eyes and say he's a maniac?

Image

I certainly can..
From Reno to Des Moines, every truck stop rent boy along the i-80 has learned to fear that stare. As they struggle to utangle their fingers from the back hair of monster, and he strangles the life from them, they come to realize that soon, all that will be left of them is the one severed buttock he will render into a flavourless jerky seasoned with nothing but flour.
Do you think he'd be sadistic enough to recite one of his "X is no X" theorems while he strangles them, just for good measure?
Post Reply