The New Normal

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

The New Normal

Post by Gary Childress »

I don't remember so much hysteria over diseases when I was younger, does anyone else? It seems like ever since AIDS, every so often we have these big scares in the more developed societies. Not saying whether they are justified or not but the world seemed a little safer and a little more optimistic concerning epidemiology during the Cold War. Except of course, we lived under the threat of Nuclear MADness.

But I'm just going off of memories of youth, not always the most reliable.
LuckyR

Re: The New Normal

Post by LuckyR »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:55 am I don't remember so much hysteria over diseases when I was younger, does anyone else? It seems like ever since AIDS, every so often we have these big scares in the more developed societies. Not saying whether they are justified or not but the world seemed a little safer and a little more optimistic concerning epidemiology during the Cold War. Except of course, we lived under the threat of Nuclear MADness.

But I'm just going off of memories of youth, not always the most reliable.
You are describing a change in the medium of medical communication (the mass media to social media) rather than the content of the communication.