Where is the philosophy???

Welcome to the forum

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Wizard22

Re: Where is the philosophy???

Post by Wizard22 »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:06 pmWhat is your intent there? To both accuse me of being a sneaky well-poioning jew, to be shocked that someone would call you a nazi, and to claim a talent for logical reasoning all in the same post?
My intent is for you to pull the stick out your arse...no, wait...better not, because that's why you're named "Danger" pants in'nit?

You're just butthurt that I exposed the giant Human Blood Sacrifice being done in Ukraine by Zelensky. You've been obsessed, following me around thread-to-thread since then. Did I give you nightmares or sumthin? At first I meant it half-serious, but seeing your reaction, I'm second-guessing myself, maybe I was onto something.... :idea:
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Wizard22 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:33 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:06 pmWhat is your intent there? To both accuse me of being a sneaky well-poioning jew, to be shocked that someone would call you a nazi, and to claim a talent for logical reasoning all in the same post?
My intent is for you to pull the stick out your arse...no, wait...better not, because that's why you're named "Danger" pants in'nit?

You're just butthurt that I exposed the giant Human Blood Sacrifice being done in Ukraine by Zelensky. You've been obsessed, following me around thread-to-thread since then. Did I give you nightmares or sumthin? At first I meant it half-serious, but seeing your reaction, I'm second-guessing myself, maybe I was onto something.... :idea:
The whole of the thing you are "half serious" about is nazi through and through. Therefore both halves of the thing you are "half serious" about are nazi halves. And you've written lots of other nazi stuff anyway. You are a nazi.

So there we are complete. The name calling is sometimes justified; the idea that we should all sit around being wise and splitting the difference in a collegial atmosphere of peace and mutual respect is all very well, but that club would have to turn away most members who tried to join. Some of the people here, such as you, are into race wars and complaining about miscegenation which undermines that fanciful ideal in any truly open space. Therefore friendofyours will need to learn to live with some of that atmosphere of spite.

One of you guys might want to retaliate and call me jewish, Walker can call me a "little fact checker", Age can call me "another one who is not ready to learn theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee one and ONLY truth about WIsDOm", I dont' care much, you are all free to try and make those names stick, I guess it's all in the game.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Over here! Philosophy is over here! :lol:
Age wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:22 am To me, absolutely every human being is born a True Philosopher, that is; Truly OPEN and Truly WANTING to learn and discover. That is, very sadly, until beliefs are formed, and then absolutely any want of learning and/or any openness to anything opposing that belief completely diminishes.
Philosophical question prompted by Age’s observation:

To you, is each person born perfect? (Yes or no, and why).

- The obligation to define the words of the philosophical question is upon anyone who has a yes or no answer.
- From this, philosophical discussion ensues.

- Philosophy seeks to know and thus can choose.
- Wisdom has no choice about knowing.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:44 pmThe whole of the thing you are "half serious" about is nazi through and through. Therefore both halves of the thing you are "half serious" about are nazi halves. And you've written lots of other nazi stuff anyway. You are a nazi.

So there we are complete. The name calling is sometimes justified; the idea that we should all sit around being wise and splitting the difference in a collegial atmosphere of peace and mutual respect is all very well, but that club would have to turn away most members who tried to join. Some of the people here, such as you, are into race wars and complaining about miscegenation which undermines that fanciful ideal in any truly open space. Therefore friendofyours will need to learn to live with some of that atmosphere of spite.

One of you guys might want to retaliate and call me jewish, Walker can call me a "little fact checker", Age can call me "another one who is not ready to learn theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee one and ONLY truth about WIsDOm", I dont' care much, you are all free to try and make those names stick, I guess it's all in the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdB9-VlTTSQ
Walker

Post by Walker »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:44 pmWalker can call me a "little fact checker"
I could in theory, be so far haven't found the need, other than perhaps as a suggestion before posting rather than spouting off the latest Leftist propaganda, or being highly selective with the relaying of second-hand, third-hand, fourth-hand accounts that are pushing an agenda.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

friendofyours wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:43 am ...But the problem I come across is this: okay, it is easy to vehemently say, no one has a right to agree with chopping babies heads off. Of course, that is an extreme. Almost everyone, or at least most people (I would hope) would agree with that (OOOH I may have found something we can all finally agree on! 😊 Oh no ☹ someone is going to say that someone else on here would like to chop babies heads off. Darn it. I failed) But anyway, somewhere along the spectrum of people being harmful, as we get closer to normality, there is a very fine line. It seems to me to be very difficult to find and draw that line without being as judgmental as the people that we are disagreeing with for being judgmental. Is the answer to just say that everyone has a right to an opinion? How can we judge who does, and who doesn't?

While I do think a line should be drawn, I am not certain how it can be done. I hope all of this makes sense.
is it only a baby after it draws its first breath?

millions of babies worldwide are ripped apart or otherwise mutilated in the womb... oh no, that's a fetus- no better than a cancer cell - kill it now

-Imp

p.s. welcome to the board
FlashDangerpants

Walker wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:08 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:44 pmWalker can call me a "little fact checker"
I could in theory, be so far haven't found the need
You need to take one of those tests that Trump keeps "acing" where they show you a picture of a man and a tv and a horse and a whale.
Walker wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:02 pm You have half of it right, you little fact checker you.

Post by Age »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:03 pm
Age wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:01 am
FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:38 am
You should learn to read the whole of the post before you start replying to each sentence as a set of unrelated parts.
And, it could just as easily and simply also be said, 'you should learn to read the whole of the thread before you start replying to each post as a set of unrelated parts.

But, 'each to their own', as some say.
FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:38 am In that short post I casually threw together a rough philosophical argument
Here we can see, once again, the use of words, as though the one who is using them knows what they are saying.

If you called what you 'threw together' a 'philosophical argument' when you have specifically claimed that 'philosophy' is a 'rigorous field of study', then how, exactly, do those two 'link together'?
Mathematics is rigorous field of study. Sudoku is a trivial maths game.

That's as much answer as you need, I am bored of you now. Play with someone else.
How quickly these people, back then, would run away, and try to hide.

This one actually claimed that 'philosophy' is a so-called 'rigorous field of study', but when questioned and challenged over what, exactly, is 'it' being allegedly 'rigorously studied', it has absolutely no idea nor clue at all. Or, if it does, then it will not provide 'it'. For, as some would say, 'very obvious reasons'.
friendofyours

Post by friendofyours »

Well, I’m glad I invited you all round. Tea and cake anyone? I’m partial to a nice slice of lemon drizzle cake myself, but I can be tempted by a cream frosted carrot cake too. Will anyone join me?
Walker

Post by Walker »

friendofyours wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:40 pm Well, I’m glad I invited you all round. Tea and cake anyone? I’m partial to a nice slice of lemon drizzle cake myself, but I can be tempted by a cream frosted carrot cake too. Will anyone join me?
Well, only if this question stirs the passions enough for the crumbs to fly.
Answering the question earns bonus points.

To you, is each person born perfect? (Yes or no, and why).
Walker

Post by Walker »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:55 pm...
At one time or another we all must prove that we're human to a machine, or we can't proceed.
friendofyours

Post by friendofyours »

Walker wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:37 am
friendofyours wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:40 pm Well, I’m glad I invited you all round. Tea and cake anyone? I’m partial to a nice slice of lemon drizzle cake myself, but I can be tempted by a cream frosted carrot cake too. Will anyone join me?
Aah, Walker, how nice of you to join me. Do take a seat. How has your day been? I hope it has been a pleasant one. I went for a walk today by the sea and, although it was rather windy, it blew away the cobwebs, and I was able to enjoy a wonderful view over the water, which made me smile. How about you? Just one thing, I'd rather not have crumbs flying around my living room. I hope you don't mind. You see, I've just got a new carpet.
FlashDangerpants

I flavour my cake with anguish, not lemons, and I butter my crumpet with the tears of a thousand orphans who all got socks for Christmas. But I will take my tea with a little milk and no sugar than you.

My sister, despite having many years of life ahead of her, has for some reason taken up knitting. It turns out that there's a huge online community for that, far in excess of this one. Apparently it is entirely toxic and that's largely down to the fact that they seem to discuss American politics too much. I don't know what sort of online community one might expect to be nicer than a knitting one.... But a philosophy forum is by its nature bound to be worse than a knitting one, for the simple reason that all of the madest bastards you have ever met consider themselves to be quite exquisite philosophers whereas complete mentalists are not terribly invested in wools and yarns to the best of my knowlege.

So to put it bluntly, a lot of people who are quite mentally unwell have a need to tell the world about their philosophy and no real place to do so except forums like this one*. At any given time, this little forum contains a minimum of 5 daily posters who think they are the greatest philosopher of all time. In fact one of the five single greatest philosopher of all time can be read just by scrolling back up the page a little.

Unless you want to found your own philosophy forum and ban everyone who doesn't live up to your expectations of behaviour and/or sanity and/or capability, you won't ever find the forum you are hoping for where everyone is allowed to contribute but everyone respects each other.

Incidentally, the most polite guy on this site is also an unbelievably condescending and routinely dishonest wanker who will very politely treat you like utter shit.

* the philosophybookclub subreddit is arguably even better. There's some guy who spams the fuck out of that who considers himself to be Australia's leading erotic poet as well as the man who will unseat Wittgenstein.
Walker

Post by Walker »

friendofyours wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:10 am
Walker wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:37 am
Aah, Walker, how nice of you to join me. Do take a seat. How has your day been? I hope it has been a pleasant one. I went for a walk today by the sea and, although it was rather windy, it blew away the cobwebs, and I was able to enjoy a wonderful view over the water, which made me smile. How about you? Just one thing, I'd rather not have crumbs flying around my living room. I hope you don't mind. You see, I've just got a new carpet.
That's a nice beginning for a philosophical transmission.

- You've stated a particular condition. After noting the surroundings, after anchoring the moment with time/space coordinates, then moving on to generating philosophy requires moving from the particular to more general principles.
- The generated principles, which are discoveries borne of the elements in the particular condition, encompass not only the particular that you stated, but more.
- When you can state a principle that encompasses your particular, and more, and also everything, then you still haven't arrived. Why? Because to exist in relationship, the principle must be apprehended in relationship to more than you.
- This takes the onus out your hands, so to speak, and beyond your control.
- You cannot control the totality of another's understanding.
- Because your statement must be received without static in order to be understood, and because most receivers have an automatic scan feature that's constantly seeking out other frequencies that scramble the reception, then you're never going to arrive.
- When you do, then the personal Unified Field Theory that folks use as their personal touchstone to assemble the understanding of perception into a satisfactory ordering, will be understood by all.

Recently I discovered a shop that sells a lemon bunt cake that is becoming quite popular, although a tad expensive. However, this mesmerizing cake is truly an example of: you get what you pay for, and then you pay for what you get.
Actually in truth, the cake is vanilla and the icing is Lemon, but the icing makes it. Also, it's fresh and moist, so there really aren't that many crumbs.

Pay up. Lay it on me.
Walker

Post by Walker »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:47 am...
Who dares to think they're less than the best they can be?