Is morality objective or subjective?

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Alexis Jacobi

Re: Is morality objective or subjective?

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:24 am
Dubious wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:39 am It's long been proven to be as Hitchens wrote:
Religion poisons everything.
I love it when people use passive voice to hide their lack of substance. It's "been proven," has it? :roll:

Well, Mr. Hitchens, I'm quite certain, knows he was wrong now.
Dubious stated worthy, accurate points about you and your style.
The incredible ability and variety of your responses to morph each and every unfavorable fact into a counterfactual proves conclusively you have what it takes. It's a scenario in which philosophy itself becomes ineffective when supplying factual arguments in terms of reason, history, and logic. Disregard all these conditions and what remains is an epic farce, an infinitesimal example of which is supplied here, relying solely on the artfulness of wordplay to establish credibility. The inevitable conclusion is that your posts cannot be responded to philosophically, since there's nothing of philosophic importance in them. Your style of argumentation rely on two main methods: distortion in the form of wordplay and simple, unmodified negation to proclaim your unquestionable obedience to an ancient and medieval worldview long defunct.
Anyone who brings an idea to your attention that is an interconnected nexus of ideas or observations that function together, you do exactly what you did here: you extract a minuscule portion out of it and make some pithy comment while negating the larger, and more important thrust. One is then left to attempt to analyze why you do this and why you resort to a strange, fallacious mode of philosophical argument (the negation of what has been said to you which, in this environment, you are obligated to respond to).

As you know I concluded that the answer is religious fanaticism. To have confronted a man -- you -- so encased within a fanatical structure has for me been a significant boon. In relation to you (here I use the second-person plural) I have had to adjust my entire outlook toward *religiousness*. And I was not an overt opponent.

Religious fanaticism, indeed over-extreme reliance on a religious approach, requires a deep critical analysis. But what is interesting, at least from where I sit, is to notice that what Hitchens said about religion generally (all general statements are necessary but problematic) is brought to the fore by your constant demonstration: religious fanaticism has poisoned your mind. If we believe that we can recognize a standard of sound philosophical technique (a way to reason, a way to converse, etc.) you demonstrate constantly that you are outside of that possibility.

Thus we are left with no choice but to ask: How, in this personage Immanuel Can, has this come about?

You see? This is all we are left with. At this point you are not really talked with you are talked about.

I always want to mention and re-mention that, for us (most who write here), we will not be able to return to any religious fold, I think we must recognize at least two things:

One, that the need of religion universally is not diminishing but increasing, and both Islam and Pentecostalism are gathering converts (in the Global South) and certainly not losing converts. And that which does *poison* things is raising its head like never before (that I am aware of) as the Middle East begins to kindle and the poisoned, overheated, hallucinating heads of the many begin to externalize their inner madness. (A very strange and complex state of affairs).

Two, that for those who have had the *horizon* of their metaphysical world erased, that they must face that there is a HUGE cost entailed. Those without an internal rudder (religious view does provide this), and those who do not have the maturity and inner strength to make replacement choices, do indeed seem to go adrift. Certainly people who are not sufficiently prepared cannot sustain themselves outside of a defined, overarching order that religious structure generally does a good job at providing.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Shock! horror! Moses never existed. 😱

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xVBldyy_Oo

Does this mean I can covet my neighbours wife, after all? 🤔
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Dubious wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:03 am To repeat the question:
If your brain tells you to believe in the bible, why do you believe that without any encountered skepticism?
Give me a question with some relation to truth, and maybe I'll even answer it.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Will Bouwman wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:36 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:50 pm
Will Bouwman wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:37 am...your belief that science is an offshoot of Christianity?
Well, I know the history. Verifiably, it is.
If it is so conducive to science, why did it take 1620 years of Christianity for the Novum Organum to occur to anyone?
Well, historians have a lot to say about that. There were, for many years, inhibiting factors limiting the discovery of science. You will, for example, be familiar with the ways in which authoritarianism of various kinds, or traditionalism, limited the spread of knowledge. Historians point to key other moments that made not just the discovery of scientific method possible, but its broad dissemination as well...all factors that were not in place prior to Bacon. Almost all would include such key moments as Gutenberg's printing press, with its impact on general literacy and public education, the Reformation, with its new emphasis on the ordinary man as interpreter, and a sufficient state of technology to make the scientific method practical.

So to say that belief in a rational universe is the essential factor is not to say that it was the ONLY factor, or even the only NECESSARY factor. But it is to say that without that factor, the scientific revolution would not have happened where and when it did, or perhaps even at all.
Apart from being a muslim and being born before Francis Bacon, what did Ibn al-Haytham do that disqualifies him as a scientist?
No knowledge of scientific method. One can be a theorist, a practician, or a speculator, a philosopher, a pragmatist...but these things do not automatically make one scientific in any real sense. If it did, then there really would be no meaningful distinction between these forms of thinking. But science is rather a special thing, with its own methodology.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

nemos wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:52 am It is not characteristic of normal people to believe what is written, but rather to interpret it according to their own life experiences.
So you've never been to any form of public or private education? That's not how they operate there. They assume that what others have written might contain knowledge that one's personal experience cannot give one.
nemos

Post by nemos »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:13 pm So you've never been to any form of public or private education? That's not how they operate there. They assume that what others have written might contain knowledge that one's personal experience cannot give one.
They can accept whatever they want, just like me.
And yet, where do you think the devil lives? :lol:
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

nemos wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:59 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:13 pm So you've never been to any form of public or private education? That's not how they operate there. They assume that what others have written might contain knowledge that one's personal experience cannot give one.
They can accept whatever they want, just like me.
Well, being uneducated is overrated, I'm going to suggest.
nemos

Post by nemos »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:00 pm Well, being uneducated is overrated, I'm going to suggest.
But what about the devil?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

nemos wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:03 pm But what about the devil?
Strange question. It assumes a spiritual entity is physical. Can't be answered, because not coherent.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Harbal wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:47 pm Shock! horror! Moses never existed. 😱

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xVBldyy_Oo

Does this mean I can covet my neighbours wife, after all?
The entire structure on which mythological story-based religion is built, is as upon “sand”. When the real facts are discovered by the child who was told it was real history and “truer than rain”, the child goes into crisis.

What is true?!? What is false?!? Are ethical and moral truths now also untrue (and false)?

The child-man will collapse because no sufficient structure exists to weigh truth and falsehood. Or to uphold defined structures of value. Certainly his religious elders did not teach him to think critically. What happens to that man?

Platonic philosophy recognizes “mutability” as a primary condition of the physical world. Platonic philosophy is then an effort to define metaphysical solidities that a man can rely on — build with. How are these defined? What — where — are they located?

When man loses a tangible horizon, and cannot arrive at strong, reasoned, metaphysical definitions, he will collapse. Just as the child, without containing structure, suffers the lack of authority. It is not a benefit for him.

And for those aware of and concerned for the condition of man (people) in our present, the loss of ground and of “anchor” is noted. Other ‘structures’ will claim him.

Real conservatism, in my view, is a concerted and intellectually honest endeavor to define metaphysical ground and spiritual anchoring in a world that is dissolving in mutability.
nemos

Post by nemos »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:15 pm Strange question. It assumes a spiritual entity is physical. Can't be answered, because not coherent.
Yes, but you know for sure that he is not in hell. What about this statement of yours? Don't only spiritual beings live in hell? And who lives in it? Maybe there is no hell at all?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

nemos wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:45 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:15 pm Strange question. It assumes a spiritual entity is physical. Can't be answered, because not coherent.
Yes, but you know for sure that he is not in hell.
Who told you he was?
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Immanuel Can: the ultra-skilled past-master at philosophical evasion. If there’s an important issue to evade, count on him!
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:12 pm Immanuel Can: the ultra-skilled past-master at philosophical evasion. If there’s an important issue to evade, count on him!
Some of us do get a bit intense sometimes, but I don't agree that any of this is important. But then I'm just a post modern, cultureless yob. 🙂
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:12 pm Immanuel Can: the ultra-skilled past-master at philosophical evasion. If there’s an important issue to evade, count on him!
I'm not evading. I'm trying to figure out how he got an idea in his head that is nothing like what the Bible says is the case.

My suspicion: from popular mythology. But until he answers, how can I know?