Atheism

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Alexis Jacobi

Re: Atheism

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

phyllo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:30 pm The inner plane may be real or unreal. There is no way to verify it.
How can something “unreal” have such effect in the world? I refer to man’s psyche. It has no location, no one understands it, yet it is the thing that determines everything in our world. Our world is an expression of psyche.

The inner plane, therefore, is tremendously real. And it is verified through its effects.

“God” is not verifiable in the outside, surrounding world. And definitely not the Christian God. A picture of the God of Nature and the Cosmos would be of a demonic-type entity. Not angelic. Brutal and rather horrifying. A trickster, a double-dealer.

You cannot rely on Nature to define a philosophical or ethical position or view.

Any notion of “God” arises in man and from the psyche. I would not argue if it were said that a ‘divine element’ resides in man. But I would also recognize similar divinity in other (non-human) beings. But “soul”? At that point we enter speculative metaphysics.

I am not a negator of either metaphysics or spirituality (the honing of man’s spirit).

Obviously, I have many reasons to take issue with the Hebrew/Christian construct. Simply because it involves too many false pictures. Not because I can’t appreciate its ethical admonitions (some in any case).
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

How can something “unreal” have such effect in the world? I refer to man’s psyche. It has no location, no one understands it, yet it is the thing that determines everything in our world. Our world is an expression of psyche.

The inner plane, therefore, is tremendously real. And it is verified through its effects.
You can imagine talking to god and you can act on it.

But that doesn't mean you talked to god. It certainly can't be verified that you talked to god.
“God” is not verifiable in the outside, surrounding world. And definitely not the Christian God. A picture of the God of Nature and the Cosmos would be of a demonic-type entity. Not angelic. Brutal and rather horrifying. A trickster, a double-dealer.
No, not the Christian god.

But certainly not a demonic god. Or a horrifying god.

At least not exclusively that.
You cannot rely on Nature to define a philosophical or ethical position or view.
Where else could it come from, if not nature?
Any notion of “God” arises in man and from the psyche.
Not my view of god.
Obviously, I have many reasons to take issue with the Hebrew/Christian construct.
Of course.
VVilliam

Post by VVilliam »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:53 am Well, that depends on the use to which the label is being summoned. If its purpose is to explain one's own disposition, then it's the strongest (i.e. most defensible) of the skeptical options. But if its purpose is to convince others what tho believe, then it's the weakest; because it doesn't tell them they have to deny the existence of anything at all.
I am using the word “strongest” in a practical sense specific to the three positions human personalities can assume re the question “Do we exist within a created thing?”
The purpose of doing so is not regarding belief but in accurately portraying Agnosticism as a means of by-passing (through explanation) the confusion most have in regarding Agnosticism as a sub-set of Atheism rather than understanding it as a position in its own right – alongside the positions of Theism and Materialism (commonly understood as “Atheism.”
Often true. But it's kind of hard to provide any rationale for Atheism if one doesn't also believe in Materalism, or Physicalism, CS Realism, or some such idea. So the ideas tend to kind of cling together. I suppose it might be possible to describe an Atheism that doesn't also require some such supposition, but it would be hard to do, I think. They're pretty much a matched pair.

But if you think maybe you can do it, that would be interesting.
And to "lack belief" in something that he either could know or should know is not any badge of honour, but rather just a confession
I can and am doing it. It isn’t about convincing anyone but using the opportunity to inject alternative information onto that mix.
I agree that Materialism is well-matched with those commonly calling themselves “Atheists” which is why I do not think it is a request designed to be derogatory to either “Atheists” or “Materialists”.
Because I think that Atheists should refer to themselves as Materialists so that it assists with the process of having Agnosticism accepted as a philosophical position alongside Materialism and Theism.
I do so, as an Agnostic who understands Agnosticism as an alternate position to assume from either Materialism or Theism.
Hmmm. I can't see any reason for adopting ANY belief that one has already permanently decided can be neither true nor false; so it seems to me that any agnostic has to be open to the possibility he's wrong to hold agnosticism.
You are not critiquing Agnosticism there. Agnosticism has no dogma re permanent belief because Agnostics recognise that there is not enough information to claim one way or the other that we do exist within a created thing.
Whomever makes such claims does so from either Theism or Materialism positions, not from the Agnostic Position.
That's pretty fair. But whereas the agnostic can wonder whether the Theist has "seen over the wall," he already has to realize that the Atheist cannot possibly have done so. And he can wonder whether or not he could, himself, see over that wall.
The only wall an Agnostic can see over is the one which Materialists and Theist have built between those positions.
This is (analogously) saying that the position of the Agnostic is on top the said wall, able to see into both sides (positions) without been affected by any belief claims (philosophy) and report one’s findings.

Re the wall first referred to, that is (primarily) to do with the question “Do we exist within a created thing?” and the battle between Materialists and Theists has created a wall between them, and one which an Agnostic can walk upon and view the goings-on involved with the battle being fought re the other positions.
No. I meant, "Can it be a product of nothing but blind faith or blind unfaith, the way Theism can sometimes be, and Atheism always is?
In that case My answer is “no”.
Agnosticism is focused upon the question (Do we exist within a created thing?) and not all Materialists are against the idea, but simply need more evidence before a decision can be made.
In that sense, they are assuming the Agnostic Position and might be seen as “Agnostic Materialists” a subset of Materialism (or “Atheism” as you and they like to refer to it (the position).
The same may apply to Theism where a Theist is not sure they exist within a created thing, although no examples spring to mind re that. It would appear to be a contradiction that if anyone calling themselves a Theist were unsure, they existed within a created thing but sure that there is a god to worship could be termed a contradiction in need of explaining itself.
Oh, I agree that's what agnosticism CAN do. I'm asking whether some agnostics can also go the other way, and refuse to be persuaded, even when the evidence is available. And I think they can.
Your thinking is based upon incorrect data re the commonly (between the two battling positions) accepted definition of an Agnostic.
The definition is incorrect, so the critique/feedback is also going to be incorrect.
Agnosticism cannot change because it is a Position.
Agnostics can change because they are human personalities.
Therefore, those human personalities who call themselves Agnostics and decide to “refuse to be persuaded even when the evidence is available” would not be that which they claim to be.
They would be either Materialists or Theist, depending on what data it was they were refusing to acknowledge.
I mean "saving from being recognized as inherently irrational," or "rescued from being exposed as a claim the Atheist can't back with the required evidence." It's that that Atheism cannot manage, I think. Both agnosticism and Theism can produce sufficient evidence, I think, to warrant their own positions, at least...whether or not they can produce sufficient evidence to close the whole case in their favour for everybody.
Yes, it needs more. And I think we can tell what it would be.
Atheism would have to say, "I lack belief in God, because I know He doesn't exist."
If Atheism was understood as Materialism the problem (confusion) is fixed (or at least beaten back into a recognisable shape) and Theists could adjust accordingly.
Materialist could say “I lack belief in assuming things about “God” while I look for evidence that we do or do not exist within a created thing.” But this would make them Agnostics.
Materialists current say “I lack belief that we exist within a created thing because the gods Theism offers as evidence do not align with the supposed “created thing” (the universe) being experienced.
This is viewed by Agnostics as an acceptable thing to assume re the position of Materialism.
I don't think so. If, for example, the whole idea of any God or gods were shown to be inherently irrational and self-contradictory, or were over powered by requisite evidence, I think we wouldn't even get to the question of what kind of God was being discussed.

And agnosticism would have to say something more like, "I lack believe in God because I personally have not seen evidence for God."
No. The primary question which then leads to God-concepts is “Do we exist in a created thing, and that is where Agnosticism springs off from.
Thus Agnosticism is better defined as a place where human personalities (who are Agnostic) say something more like “I do not know, because I am still processing the information (of the universe).
Note therein that the question of “God/gods” is secondary and cannot be sufficiently asked, let along answered…thus “I lack belief in ideas of God because I personally haven’t encountered any Theist (to date) whose ideas of God explain the universe (assuming it is a created thing.)
Secondary because it first has to be established that we do indeed exist within a created thing.
That's still only personal, though. "Show ME the evidence, and I will..." and so on. What I mean by being more than personal is if the position in question can tell other people what they ought to think, or merely serve as the holding position for the speaker alone.
So, for example, Atheism tries to tell people they shouldn't believe in God. Theism tries to tell them they should. Agnosticism, however, doesn't try to tell them anything at all; it only says, "I don't know..."
Not quite so.
Rather Agnostics point out that the information so far does not inform us beyond reasonable doubt (and this is the same for all human personalities regardless of which position they choose).
The best one can do (and an Agnostic does) is to acknowledge this matter of fact and when drawing on (or otherwise being informed by) Materialism or Theism information, the appropriate expression one could attach to Agnosticism is “ I don’t know because there is still not enough information in/by/through which to know”
Agnostics do not argue from belief(s).
Right. They argue they lack them. Except in the case of the obdurate agnostic I was talking about, the one who may decide not to believe anything, no matter how many arguments or how much evidence he/she becomes aware of. They have a belief in the universality and necessity of ignorance; and that would be another kind of belief.
No. It is never about belief but about information which proves to be correct.
If information is given which supports an idea that the universe is a created thing, it is added to the rest. Any information offered which cannot integrate with the information already integrated, is place to one side or completely taken off the table (not discussed because isn’t relevant) and any data proven true, is not believed to be true but known to be true.

Anything known to be true doesn’t change the position the Agnostic is in (Agnosticism), because known things are not considered the same as believed in things.
I'm not sure we can even relegate the suspicion that God exists merely to the subconscious. Many of us are quite conscious of it, even at the beginning. But let's say we can: I'm not sure that would tell us much, except that the subconscious was where that intuition was being universally installed. It wouldn't argue that the belief is false. It might even argue that some Greater Force was installing the intuition of God's existence in our subconscious minds.
I think that Agnosticism would agree with this if it were shown to be the case.
Aa a thought experiment, any Agnostic should be fine “going there” to investigate the concept further, as well as be able to integrate it with what is know as true.
Now, it might be different in your personal case, and I don't call doubt upon your claim that it was. Perhaps you were born into an ethos in which disregard for any questions about God was the general practice, or the people around you were Atheistic, or that you never personally found reasons to think about it: how would I know, really? So I don't guess.
It is best not to guess, I agree. I do not think there is any one way in which individual human personalities sort themselves out re the 3 positions available on the primary question being asked.
It might matter to you. I can't guess at it. But if it were the case that you were raised with strong anti-God beliefs, or even raised in a place where such issues were just routinely ignored, it's possible you would find, later in life, that you had trouble imagining what role God would play in cognition or in life. Having been raised to ignore God, one might imagine He couldn't possibly be an important issue, and might bury one's awareness of God in the subconscious instead of acting on it. That could happen, too.
Even if it were not the case (I don’t need you guessing and you don’t need that information) God is a secondary consideration to the primary. The cart rather than the horse (so to speak).
I have neither trouble thinking that we exist within a created thing, since the created thing has much information for me to examine.
I can take that information and then apply it to the question “If the Creation is like such and such” then is the creator expressing itself (as an image) through the creation?” and from that, form a “picture” of the most likely mindset/personality/ such a creator could be attributed with having.
Still, such a picture could be treated as “known” in relation to what is already known to be true, but not to the point of dogmatic belief, because data is still pouring in on all fronts.
As an Agnostic I find that all belief structures tend to be dogmatic, so actual belief is unnecessary and problematic when claimed to be necessary (regardless of whether the belief is based in Materialist or Theist Positions/held to be true by Materialist or Theists.
Yes, that's fair: suppress rather than expunge. I take your point.
Suppressing the idea one has to have beliefs/dogmatism is acceptable. Even that we can recognize we might intuit that God exists, than acknowledge where this intuition derives (the subconscious) we cannot fully depend upon said subconscious to be able to enlighten us further, but needn’t think that it couldn’t do so – because all that is being done re that (if such were done) is the wall of unconsciousness (representing the barrier between the consciousness of the human personality being aware of the goings on of the subconsciousness attached to that human personality) - is being dismantled.
We cannot make foregone conclusions as to the helpfulness of the subconscious but if one is to agree with the notion that “intuitions of God” spring from the subconscious, we would do well to at least give such a fair hearing.
Well, if you read Dawkins's own biography, he'll tell you that he became a Atheist at 17. At that age, he wasn't a biologist. He wasn't even a scholar. He was in high school. So I don't think it was a problem with physical evidence that compelled him to make his decision; more likely, youthful rebellion.
Even so, if you and I have agreed that he is confused about that and thinks of himself as an Agnostic, while leaning toward Materialism, he is probably a Materialist.
And if you and I do not agree with that, then you will continue to see him as an “Atheist” who resists (the gods of) Theism.
The reason I asked was because you use him as a standard and perhaps we (if) we disagree as to what his position really is, you might be taking his definition of Agnosticism over my own (assuming the two definitions are different which appear to be the case).
And that's right: one should not claim what one does not know. But one also should not insist on not knowing something one could know.
As an Agnostic, I do not insist on not knowing something I could know. If I have no access to any information, I can say I do not know that information but if that information is made available to me (either by my own searching for it or another showing me it) then I will attempt to get to know that information.
But we've got to be cautious not to let it become irrational and dishonest, if it should turn out to be the case that evidence exists, and we simply refuse to entertain any, because we've already made up our minds that we're going to remain agnostic-to-the-death, no matter what. That can happen.
Given the amount of unknown (unavailable) data in relation to the known available data, it is most likely that the death event will come long before all the data to be known will.
If it turns out that there is more to experience for the individual personality after that death event, then (for an Agnostic personality) it should be assumed it remains Agnostic and goes along with whatever unfolds in an Agnostic manner.
Well, there's a kind of truth in that statement, but not quite,
My statement acknowledges both positions and is truth re that.
I think. He would be very much like an Atheist, but would differ from that in that his insistent postion would be not, as in Atheism, that God doesn't exist, but rather that nobody is allowed to know that God exists.
No. Carrying on with the idea that a human personality will continue to experience things after the death event (of the human body) an Agnostic does not assume by that, that this will reveal/unveil/otherwise show that “God Exists” as that information could still be hard to access, depending on what the nature of that ongoing experience might be.
An Agnostic does not assume or have dogma/belief about what the nature of such an event might be.
That's a funny way to put it, maybe. We might ask how he can confidently claim to know what the limits of other people's knowledge are. And I don't think he'd have much to say in defense against that. After all, how would he already know what anybody but himself happens to know or not know?
Again, how is that any different a predicament for the Agnostic as it is for the Theist or Materialist?
As an Agnostic I cannot grant a double standard to Favor any of the 3 positions.
How we all know what another knows has to do with what we each show one another and only that which is knowable can be known.
It is the same as your knowing of Dawkins, because Dawkins wrote about his position on god-ideas and you also know that he thinks of himself as an Agnostic, only you also have been informed that he is incorrect about that, so how do you then get to know whether that information is true or false?
I'm not sure how much of an advance that would be on ordinary Atheism, in terms of rational defensibility. It would be a subspecies of agnosticism, though.

No. It would still be a position standing on its own, just like Theism and Agnosticism.
Materialism is not a subset of Agnosticism and there are aspects of all three within all three but we needn’t confuse those as being subsets but see them as they are – as agreements/alinements.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

phyllo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:00 pm You can imagine talking to god and you can act on it.

But that doesn't mean you talked to god. It certainly can't be verified that you talked to god.
Ah, OK, now I better understand what you were trying to say. That inner experience (vision, revelation) is unreliable.

It seems to me that Jungian psychology offers us a way to understand inner (dream, vision, revelation) experience without getting carried away by it. The object is defined as: recovery of the self from neurotic fragmentation. So “enthusiasm” (being overtaken and overwhelmed by an inner eruption) is avoided simply by being aware that it can happen.

A vision of God is the self’s experience of the Self. To what end? The recovery of the wholesome self. Kind of a letdown from a grandiose plan. But more mature.

Consciousness is a vehicle of perception. We perceive. We are a ‘lens’. What is divine must reside in us and therefore we can apprehend all that we define as being exalted, of a high nature, as special and as important.

But we are also extremely mortal and limited. Our vision is always contaminated. And in essence any experience we have must be processed by the self (our selves). It requires a strong, grounded person to confront intense experiences of that sort and not be swept away by them.

I guess my view is becoming non-theist in some sense and simply more realistic.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

VVilliam wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:12 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:53 am Well, that depends on the use to which the label is being summoned. If its purpose is to explain one's own disposition, then it's the strongest (i.e. most defensible) of the skeptical options. But if its purpose is to convince others what tho believe, then it's the weakest; because it doesn't tell them they have to deny the existence of anything at all.
I am using the word “strongest” in a practical sense specific to the three positions human personalities can assume re the question “Do we exist within a created thing?”
Then I don't see that it's "strong" at all. Agnosticism doesn't seem to offer any certainty.

It's really not a single position, as we have noted, but a wide range of positions. That's why I capitalize "Atheist" but not "agnostic." Atheism is a definite denial of the existence of any gods, whereas agnosticism is an indefinite range, extending from "I think there's no gods" to "I think there just might be," and everything in between.
Often true. But it's kind of hard to provide any rationale for Atheism if one doesn't also believe in Materalism, or Physicalism, CS Realism, or some such idea. So the ideas tend to kind of cling together. I suppose it might be possible to describe an Atheism that doesn't also require some such supposition, but it would be hard to do, I think. They're pretty much a matched pair.

But if you think maybe you can do it, that would be interesting.
I can and am doing it. It isn’t about convincing anyone but using the opportunity to inject alternative information onto that mix.
Well, Atheists definitely very often are aiming to convince other people. For example, why write books about it, or go on the lecture circuit, if the intention is not to persuade others?

But I don't see that you've succeeded in showing that Atheism can avoid one of the Materialist-style positions. To do that, you'd have to show how Atheism can be derived from some kind of Idealism or supernaturalism, I think...and I don't think you're even trying to do that.
I think that Atheists should refer to themselves as Materialists
I don't think they necessarily should.

After all, they address different issues, albeit part of the same worldview. The term "Atheism" means "no gods," and is about their attitude to the transcendent. The term "Materialism" is about the nature merely of physical reality.

And if it's possible to have a "non-Materialism-assuming" Atheism, I haven't seen how it can be done. But again, I'd be interested if you wanted to try.
Hmmm. I can't see any reason for adopting ANY belief that one has already permanently decided can be neither true nor false; so it seems to me that any agnostic has to be open to the possibility he's wrong to hold agnosticism.
You are not critiquing Agnosticism there.[/quote]
No, it's not a critique: it's just a comment about the nature of being agnostic. After all, "agnostic" literally means, "not knowing." One is admitting to "not knowing" whether or not there is a god, under agnosticism. But like I say, it's a broad range, running all the way from determined, hard-headed doubters like Dawkins to those on the very verge of entertaining becoming Theists, like a Thomas Hardy.
That's pretty fair. But whereas the agnostic can wonder whether the Theist has "seen over the wall," he already has to realize that the Atheist cannot possibly have done so. And he can wonder whether or not he could, himself, see over that wall.
The only wall an Agnostic can see over is the one which Materialists and Theist have built between those positions.
Um...no...that's not how it is.

The "wall" is the inability to see the transcendent. Agnostics can claim they don't really see past that "wall," and thus don't personally know what's beyond it. Atheists claim already to know there's nothing beyond the wall. Theists claim to see beyond it. And without us saying who's right about that, we can see the difference.
No. I meant, "Can it be a product of nothing but blind faith or blind unfaith, the way Theism can sometimes be, and Atheism always is?
In that case My answer is “no”.
And mine would be "yes." I think I can produce cases of such.
Oh, I agree that's what agnosticism CAN do. I'm asking whether some agnostics can also go the other way, and refuse to be persuaded, even when the evidence is available. And I think they can.
Your thinking is based upon incorrect data re the commonly (between the two battling positions) accepted definition of an Agnostic.[/quote]
No, it's based on the fact that I've actually met such people, and read the writings of such people, and know that agnostics of that kind exist.
Agnosticism cannot change because it is a Position.
Oh, that's definitely not true. As I say, agnosticism is actually a wide spectrum of possible doubting positions, ranging from the very disinclined to believe all the way to the very willing to be convinced. It's definitely not a singular position, and people move along the spectrum it represents very commonly, depending on what evidence they happen to know.
Materialist could say “I lack belief in assuming things about “God” while I look for evidence that we do or do not exist within a created thing.” But this would make them Agnostics.
Well, they'd have to become agnostic about their Materialism, too, then. If they claim that they definitely know that only physical reality actually exists, and there's no transcendent, then they can't be agnostic, because they claim to know.
I don't think so. If, for example, the whole idea of any God or gods were shown to be inherently irrational and self-contradictory, or were over powered by requisite evidence, I think we wouldn't even get to the question of what kind of God was being discussed.

And agnosticism would have to say something more like, "I lack believe in God because I personally have not seen evidence for God."
No. [/quote]Yes, I would say.
The primary question which then leads to God-concepts is “Do we exist in a created thing,
Not really. Creation is one of the various evidences for God, but it's far from the only one, or even the most important one. It's the question that usually starts the search, but it's not the most conclusive evidence for God, because it is possible to resist the evidence of design and attribute it to something else, as Atheists generally try to do.
...the question of “God/gods” is secondary

No, it's the primary one, if we're talking about the three positions on that question -- Atheism, agnosticism and Theism. You're confusing it, I think, with the question of what reality is made up of. But you're right that there's a tight bond between Materialism / Physicalism / CS Realism and Atheism...but the former is about the materials in the universe, and the latter about the possibility of supernaturalism of some kind. For whatever else we can say about the God concept, it requires something more than the merely physical/material world to exist.
That's still only personal, though. "Show ME the evidence, and I will..." and so on. What I mean by being more than personal is if the position in question can tell other people what they ought to think, or merely serve as the holding position for the speaker alone.
So, for example, Atheism tries to tell people they shouldn't believe in God. Theism tries to tell them they should. Agnosticism, however, doesn't try to tell them anything at all; it only says, "I don't know..."
Not quite so.
Rather Agnostics point out that the information so far does not inform us beyond reasonable doubt (and this is the same for all human personalities regardless of which position they choose).
They can't say "us." They can only say "me."

They can only talk about whatever evidence or information they, personally have. Nothing qualifies an agnostic to insist that anybody else owes it to them to share their lack of information or evidence.
Agnostics do not argue from belief(s).
Right. They argue they lack them. Except in the case of the obdurate agnostic I was talking about, the one who may decide not to believe anything, no matter how many arguments or how much evidence he/she becomes aware of. They have a belief in the universality and necessity of ignorance; and that would be another kind of belief.
No. It is never about belief but about information which proves to be correct.
No, it's about belief alright. It's about what one believes one's own information will warrant. But agnostics have no special prophetic insight into what's possible to know, or into what other people know, or what they can come to know.
I'm not sure we can even relegate the suspicion that God exists merely to the subconscious. Many of us are quite conscious of it, even at the beginning. But let's say we can: I'm not sure that would tell us much, except that the subconscious was where that intuition was being universally installed. It wouldn't argue that the belief is false. It might even argue that some Greater Force was installing the intuition of God's existence in our subconscious minds.
I think that Agnosticism would agree with this if it were shown to be the case.
Aa a thought experiment, any Agnostic should be fine “going there” to investigate the concept further, as well as be able to integrate it with what is know as true.
Yes, I agree. A real agnostic shouldn't insist there's nothing new for him/her to learn, only honestly state that he/she doesn't have such information at present.
As an Agnostic I find that all belief structures tend to be dogmatic, so actual belief is unnecessary and problematic when claimed to be necessary (regardless of whether the belief is based in Materialist or Theist Positions/held to be true by Materialist or Theists.
Well, that certainly is the case; but dogmatism isn't, per se, necessarily wrong. I'm very dogmatic about not stepping off high buildings, and not letting anybody else do it, either. That's because I'm a dogmatic believer in gravity, and in the value of human life. I think, though, that my dogmatism in those cases is far from a bad thing; and my dogmatic pro-gravity stance does not make me wrong.
Even that we can recognize we might intuit that God exists, than acknowledge where this intuition derives (the subconscious) we cannot fully depend upon said subconscious to be able to enlighten us further, but needn’t think that it couldn’t do so
Well, that's true, I think: but I don't think knowledge of God is exclusively "subconscious," either. I think it can be very, very conscous. Moreover, I think that ultimately, it depends not on the internal promptings of the subconscious, but on the empirical realities of existence -- on facts, on actual historical events, on divine revelation, and so on...external things, not internal ones.
Well, if you read Dawkins's own biography, he'll tell you that he became a Atheist at 17. At that age, he wasn't a biologist. He wasn't even a scholar. He was in high school. So I don't think it was a problem with physical evidence that compelled him to make his decision; more likely, youthful rebellion.
Even so, if you and I have agreed that he is confused about that and thinks of himself as an Agnostic, while leaning toward Materialism, he is probably a Materialist.
Yes, I think he's definitely a Materialist. But he wobbles between calling himself an Atheist -- or at least, between not resisting that label when others apply it to him -- and calling himself a "firm agnostic" when he's being pressed about it.
..you use him as a standard
No. He's no "standard" or "example" for anybody, I think. Just an obvious example of the "angry Atheist" type. He's a public figure, so he puts all that "out there" himself, and I'm not slandering him when I merely refer to what he is also making public.
But we've got to be cautious not to let it become irrational and dishonest, if it should turn out to be the case that evidence exists, and we simply refuse to entertain any, because we've already made up our minds that we're going to remain agnostic-to-the-death, no matter what. That can happen.
Given the amount of unknown (unavailable) data in relation to the known available data, it is most likely that the death event will come long before all the data to be known will.
Well, who is in a position to safely say that? Certainly not the agnostic. It's one thing to say one knows what one has or has not had access to by way of information, but quite another to claim to know already what information anybody else is allowed to have -- or even what information one may, oneself, come to have in future.
That's a funny way to put it, maybe. We might ask how he can confidently claim to know what the limits of other people's knowledge are. And I don't think he'd have much to say in defense against that. After all, how would he already know what anybody but himself happens to know or not know?
Again, how is that any different a predicament for the Agnostic as it is for the Theist or Materialist?
It's the same as the Atheist, in that regard. The Atheist claims to know that God doesn't exist. The Theist claims he has sufficient reason to believe that God does exist. And if the Theist does have actual experience of or information about God, then the Theist is in a position to make that claim. The Atheist never is.

However, the agnostic has to stay uncommitted to either proposition -- if he's going to remain an honest agnostic. He has to say, "I don't know any evidence, information or proof of God, and have no such experience; but I'm in no position to say whether such is possible...it may be." That's what keeps him agnostic, really...that uncertainty.
How we all know what another knows has to do with what we each show one another and only that which is knowable can be known.
It is the same as your knowing of Dawkins, because Dawkins wrote about his position on god-ideas and you also know that he thinks of himself as an Agnostic, only you also have been informed that he is incorrect about that, so how do you then get to know whether that information is true or false?
I know what Dawkins thinks because he publishes it very broadly. Anybody can find that out.

But yes, Dawkins is rather inconsistent. He wants the power of making the basic Atheist claim (i.e. that gods are a "delusion," as he puts it), but then he wants to hide among the agnostics when he's challenged. I think that's explicable, though, in that he is both aggressively hostile to God and yet aware of the shakiness of Atheism.

But we have to ask ourselves, if Dawkins is really only an agnostic, and not an Atheist, how can he claim he knows God is a "delusion"? And that's the title of his most famous book, too. :shock:
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

phyllo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:00 pm
    Alex Jacobi wrote: You cannot rely on Nature to define a philosophical or ethical position or view.
    Where else could it come from, if not nature?
    That is the essence of the question, I think.

The metaphysical systems I am familiar with, and definitely the Vedic, describe things through metaphysical prepositions. God “comes down” from some other realm and appears (usually rescues through teaching) those souls gone astray.

Jesus Christ has a great deal in common with an incarnation of Vishnu. The idea would be thoroughly comprehensible to a qualified Vedic.

But the idea is not so extraordinary if it is understood as universal. In this our world, and in all conceivable worlds, a manifestation of God rescues errant souls.

But is it from nature? It is generally described as supernatural, unearthly and “other”.

This is definitely so with the Hebrew/Christian conception. The angelic realm of God is incomprehensible to Earth. In fact “the Earth” is the Devil’s Kingdom which is conquered and subdued by an invading God.

I am describing ‘pictures’.

My own view is that pictures are images or messages projected on a wall (our mind and imagination). But we cannot be fooled by the projection. Return to the self means return to reality: where we really are located.
    Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

[I just sprained my thumb scrolling through William and Immanuel’s posts. I am contemplating a lawsuit!]
    iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:58 pm
    iambiguous wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:49 pm Jerk, fool, jackass, fuck...
    Have you no sense of humor?!? It’s all in fun. Sham irritation
    Har Har Harr?
    Alexis Jacobi wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:58 pmJust focus on the ideas … 🐒
    After all, as long as you keep the focus on ideas, you don't have to deal at all with the complexities of actual human interactions. Dasein. The Benjamin Button Syndrome. The gap. Rummy's Rule. Everything revolves instead around a world of words in which dueling definitions and deductions are the only actual consequences being exchanged.
    You are Satyr's sock puppet here, aren't you?
    Alexis Jacobi wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:58 pmYou’ve got it backwards. I animate Satyr.
    So, is he your own sock puppet here: https://knowthyself.forumotion.net/f6-agora
    Look, I admit that in regard to race, gender, sexuality and Jews, I am no less fractured and fragmented. My personal opinions are no less derived existentially from dasein. Instead, with those like you, who seem considerably more adamant and arrgogant regarding their own assessments, I ask them to focus instead not on what they believe "in their heads" about thses things, but on how their beliefs would play out for blacks, women, gays, liberals and Jews if they were actually in a position of power in a community and could enforce their own political prejudices.

You'll go there or you won't.
    Alexis Jacobi wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:58 pmThen you had better go to work and put yourself back together, you Nazi …
    Absolutely shameless.

Now, again, given the focus of this thread, how about responding to this...
    Just a reminder of what is at stake here...

1] moral commandments on this side of the grave...letting God do the thinking for you
    2] immortality and salvation on the other side of it...soul to soul

You know, the actual "for all practical purposes" reason that Gods and religions exist in the first place.

That's why for those like me, any discussion of God has to eventually get around to something in the way of proof that a God, the God, your God does in fact exist.

Well, that and theodicy.
    Now, in regard to God and religion, what exactly do you believe about them?

And in regard to morality, if you do not believe in them, do you still believe that mere mortals have access [philosophically or otherwise] to objective morality?

And your thoughts here and now on immortality and salvation?

And in regard to the behaviors that you choose pertaining to conflicting goods, how do you connect the dots between science and philosophy and religion?

Me? Well, I believe that science and philosophy have [so far] failed to establish anything in the vicinity of an objective, deontological morality. And only with religion does it appear possible that "the afterlife" is a factor.

And how could our own individual assessments of all this not be the embodiment of dasein? Given when historically and where culturally we are born, and given our own uniquely personal experiences, relationships and access to information and knowledge...of course we are going to come to many different conflicting conclusions.

Indeed, this is one of the main reasons Gods and religions were/are invented. A need for that "transcendent" font...a Creator that can pass "final judgment" on us.
    You're up, Mr Wiggle. 8)
    Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:04 am Well, that's true, I think: but I don't think knowledge of God is exclusively "subconscious," either. I think it can be very, very conscous. Moreover, I think that ultimately, it depends not on the internal promptings of the subconscious, but on the empirical realities of existence -- on facts, on actual historical events, on divine revelation, and so on...external things, not internal ones.
    And of course here, with this view, Bible literalism becomes a necessary and concomitant notion.

Richard Weaver advocates for “logical realism” and opposes nominalism.
    Weaver’s main thesis in Ideas Have Consequences is not complicated. In short, Weaver’s book presents the harmful effects of nominalism on Western civilization since it gained prominence in the Late Middle Ages. Many of our modern woes, believed Weaver, stem from the acceptance of nominalism and the rejection of philosophical realism back in the fourteenth century. “The defeat of logical realism in the great medieval debate was the crucial event in the history of Western culture,” declared Weaver in his book, summarizing his main thesis. It was from this event that culminated in what is now an “unravelling and overly decadent world.” The abandonment of philosophical realism and the acceptance of nominalism was nothing short of a philosophical revolution. It was a pivotal event in the history of Western philosophy, overturning belief in universal essences which had roots all the way back in the writings of Plato, who offered his own variant of extreme realism. For Weaver, this philosophical revolution toward nominalism was not only a pivotal event in Western history. It was, in fact, the pivotal event.

As Weaver put it in the introduction, Western man is like Macbeth. He long ago made “an evil decision, which has become the efficient and final cause of other evil decisions.” In particular, Western man had an encounter with the witches on the heath in the late fourteenth century. These witches told man that he could realize himself more fully by abandoning belief in universals. In this encounter, dark forces were at work. The “powers of darkness” were working subtly, as usual, and they cunningly disguised themselves as a philosophical attack on universals. This encounter with the witches on the heath was the beginning of the dissolution of the Western world.
    Immanuel’s extreme Bible literalism is, I have gathered, his means of counteracting and antidoting nominalism.

Myself, I took a lower dose!
    iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:34 am
    Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:04 am Well, that's true, I think: but I don't think knowledge of God is exclusively "subconscious," either. I think it can be very, very conscous. Moreover, I think that ultimately, it depends not on the internal promptings of the subconscious, but on the empirical realities of existence -- on facts, on actual historical events, on divine revelation, and so on...external things, not internal ones.
    And of course here, with this view, Bible literalism becomes a necessary and concomitant notion.

Richard Weaver advocates for “logical realism” and opposes nominalism.
    Again, all of this "serious philosophy" being exchanged when the bottom line for Christians is and always will be that unless AJ and henry and all the Atheists here accept Jesus Christ as their personal savior, they can kiss being saved goodbye. They will be "left behind". They are Hell bound for all of eternity.

So why on Earth would Christians not be spending most of their lives proselytizing for JC?

Or campaigning for Trump?
    VVilliam

Post by VVilliam »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:53 am
    It appears to me that you are unwilling to question your belief about Agnosticism not being a position in its own right, and perhaps that is because it is necessary for you to remain dogmatic in that regard because it suits your preferred position (Theism).

On the subject of dogmatism too, you are incorrect making the analogy of not jumping off buildings because you are dogmatic in the belief in gravity.
    Perhaps that sums up much of Theism. To insist one has to "believe" in what is already shown to be a known truth, and be dogmatic about the "belief". Perhaps this make those beliefs which have yet to be shown as known truth appear to be true enough to make dogmatic claims about which - while these may be good enough for Theists, are not and should not be regarded as "good enough" by those of us interested in truthful knowledge.
    Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

iambiguous wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:49 am Again, all of this "serious philosophy" being exchanged when the bottom line for Christians is and always will be that unless AJ and henry and all the Atheists here accept Jesus Christ as their personal savior, they can kiss being saved goodbye. They will be "left behind". They are Hell bound for all of eternity.
    Accept the challenge … by becoming fully a man. Take responsibility for your world, this world, and all possible otherworlds. But toss away the distorted picture of biblical literalism.

Accept being what you are, here where we are. Stop taking weird mental drugs. Become a realist.

As you see I do not negate the meaning in the story but I frame it in a far wider and capacious space.

True, some people need far more confining metaphysics. But in my view “to be a man” means living in realness, not phantasy.

Save yourself by living authentically in accord with yourself.

What do you think, Iambiguous?
    henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

iambiguous wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:49 amAgain, all of this "serious philosophy" being exchanged when the bottom line for Christians is and always will be that unless AJ and henry and all the Atheists here accept Jesus Christ as their personal savior, they can kiss being saved goodbye.
    Why is Christianity your measure? Why not Judaism or Islam or Buddhism or Wicca or...?
    iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:06 am
    iambiguous wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:49 am Again, all of this "serious philosophy" being exchanged when the bottom line for Christians is and always will be that unless AJ and henry and all the Atheists here accept Jesus Christ as their personal savior, they can kiss being saved goodbye. They will be "left behind". They are Hell bound for all of eternity.
    Accept the challenge … by becoming fully a man. Take responsibility for your world, this world, and all possible otherworlds. But toss away the distorted picture of biblical literalism.

Accept being what you are, here where we are. Stop taking weird mental drugs. Become a realist.
    Har, har, harr?
    Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:06 amAs you see I do not negate the meaning in the story but I frame it in a far wider and capacious space.

True, some people need far more confining metaphysics. But in my view “to be a man” means living in realness, not phantasy.

Save yourself by living authentically in accord with yourself.

What do you think, Iambiguous?
    We'll need a context of course.

Now, again, Mr. Wiggle, given the focus of this thread, how about responding to this...
    Just a reminder of what is at stake here...

1] moral commandments on this side of the grave...letting God do the thinking for you
    2] immortality and salvation on the other side of it...soul to soul

You know, the actual "for all practical purposes" reason that Gods and religions exist in the first place.

That's why for those like me, any discussion of God has to eventually get around to something in the way of proof that a God, the God, your God does in fact exist.

Well, that and theodicy.
    Now, in regard to God and religion, what exactly do you believe about them?

And in regard to morality, if you do not believe in them, do you still believe that mere mortals have access [philosophically or otherwise] to objective morality?

And your thoughts here and now on immortality and salvation?

And in regard to the behaviors that you choose pertaining to conflicting goods, how do you connect the dots between science and philosophy and religion?

Me? Well, I believe that science and philosophy have [so far] failed to establish anything in the vicinity of an objective, deontological morality. And only with religion does it appear possible that "the afterlife" is a factor.

And how could our own individual assessments of all this not be the embodiment of dasein? Given when historically and where culturally we are born, and given our own uniquely personal experiences, relationships and access to information and knowledge...of course we are going to come to many different conflicting conclusions.

Indeed, this is one of the main reasons Gods and religions were/are invented. A need for that "transcendent" font...a Creator that can pass "final judgment" on us.
    Or, perhaps, your whole shtick here is pedantry?

That's how you often strike me. It's less the intellectual contraptions that you post, and more the manner in which you want others to recognize you as an intellectual. A "serious philosopher". An epistemologist.

Unless, of course, I'm wrong.
    Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

iambiguous wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:33 am
    Unless, of course, I'm wrong.
    You are not only (or merely) wrong — you are ridiculous.

Unless, of course, I’m wrong ….

(Unlikely but possible …)