Free William?

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Free William?

Post by Philosophy Now »

attofishpi

Re: Free William?

Post by attofishpi »

WOOPS!! (oh the irony)

..when I clicked on "discuss" I thought something awesome would happen, like the opportunity to post the greatest thought experiment ever on the topic of determinism v free-will v compatibilism.

Thus, it must be done, whether it's warm and I feel compelled, or whether the weather has nothing to do with my will-------have it------>

Boony's Room

Two identical copies of cricketer David Boon were made unbeknownst to him. The two copies of Boony, instantly appear facing each other from opposite corners of a white room that is 3 metres cubed, identical in all directions.

There are no causal effects differing in each of the Boony's slightly differing positions in spacetime. Nothing in this thought experiment regarding each version of David Boon once instantiated within the room is different in any way.

What happens next?
Do they both, at the same time, ask the exact same question of each other?
Do they end up arguing because they both keep attempting to interject at precisely the same time with precisely the same dialogue?

After five minutes, the pair hear a voice asking them to draw a picture of their favourite fruit on the wall and are told there is a pencil in their left pocket.

Do they both turn and draw on the same symmetrically opposite part of the wall?
Do they both draw identical images of the fruit?