Spinoza & Other Determinists

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Spinoza & Other Determinists

Post by Philosophy Now »

Myint Zan compares different ways of denying free will.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/159/Spinoza_and_Other_Determinists
Gary Childress

Re: Spinoza & Other Determinists

Post by Gary Childress »

At this moment, I'm thinking the debate concerning free will vs. determinism will never be resolved. However, I can't guarantee that I will hold this view forever.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:33 am At this moment, I'm thinking the debate concerning free will vs. determinism will never be resolved. However, I can't guarantee that I will hold this view forever.
Well, the atheist consensus is that no views are held forever. Although the most optimistic ones, in the sense of humanity not being destroyed, would agree that humanities knowledge should continue long into the future, forever growing with more advanced engineering of selfie-sticks.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:17 am
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:33 am At this moment, I'm thinking the debate concerning free will vs. determinism will never be resolved. However, I can't guarantee that I will hold this view forever.
Well, the atheist consensus is that no views are held forever. Although the most optimistic ones, in the sense of humanity not being destroyed, would agree that humanities knowledge should continue long into the future, forever growing with more advanced engineering of selfie-sticks.
So eventually we'll all be in agreement then! Death, the great unifier.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:09 pm
attofishpi wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:17 am
So eventually we'll all be in agreement then! Death, the great unifier.
..but think of all the lovely photographs of the beautiful people smiling and stored forever upon the event horizon where information is never lost. 8)
nemos

Post by nemos »

Freedom is always a choice among available options, so it is very limited.
And every stick has two ends. I don't even know why, so many people like to stick to the ends of sticks and argue that his end is better than the other end. After all, both ends of the stick are important.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Yes, you are completely determined to hold that view.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

it has been determined that severed branches without excess mucilage are neither selfie or sticky...

-Imp
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:30 pm
We'll have to see what fate has in store for me. Will I ever be able to change my mind? That's the big question.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:48 pm
Sculptor wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:30 pm
We'll have to see what fate has in store for me. Will I ever be able to change my mind? That's the big question.
Of course. Minds change all the time. It is caused by learning.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

nemos wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:07 pm Freedom is always a choice among available options, so it is very limited.
And every stick has two ends. I don't even know why, so many people like to stick to the ends of sticks and argue that his end is better than the other end. After all, both ends of the stick are important.
I would say that the shit-end of the stick is to be avoided.
nemos

Post by nemos »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:52 pm ... I would say that the shit-end of the stick is to be avoided.
And another argument will be launched about what should be considered as shit.
And that's how life will go in arguments about shit... :D
Without fertilizer in the spring, there will be no benefit in the fall.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

nemos wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:07 am
Sculptor wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:52 pm ... I would say that the shit-end of the stick is to be avoided.
And another argument will be launched about what should be considered as shit.
And that's how life will go in arguments about shit... :D
Without fertilizer in the spring, there will be no benefit in the fall.
Sadly we do not make enough use of this benefit as animal husbadry is under attack from those from the planet Vegan.
But whilst I agree that shit is good for the soil; what is good for the soil does not make a great hand lotion.