A Light Going Out

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Lacewing

Re: A Light Going Out

Post by Lacewing »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:27 am when people create a thread allow them to add username(s) of people that would be blocked from participating in the thread - at least two usernames perhaps.
I like this idea because the forum is otherwise unmoderated, and this could help prevent topics from being ruined/overrun by someone's relentless, pestering nonsense. I think most people would use such a feature sparingly.
Age wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:39 am
attofishpi wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:27 am That seems fair, the idiots can splurge elsewhere, just not in your own thread if you decide.
Well 'this' is ANOTHER WAY of NOT ALLOWING "others" TO SHOW and REVEAL the Falsehoods, and/or Wrongness, in one's OWN WRITINGS, CLAIMS, and/or BELIEFS.
The falsehood and/or wrongness here is that Age thinks that HE is revealing falsehoods and/or wrongness... when he is actually the one wrongly assuming and misinterpreting the meanings and intent of what people say. This is why most people end up ignoring him for the most part. He falsely and wrongly concludes he is ignored because he is showing and revealing things that people don't want to address, rather than realizing that few people care to take/waste the time to correct his volumes of misunderstandings and nonsense about what they've said.

Also off-putting is his approach of addressing/saying 'you adult humans' which is absurdly disconnected and disassociated for a discussion forum.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:09 pm Philosophy used to be interesting and a breath of fresh air. Now it seems to be dominated by theists who slip in every form of fallacious premise that can be coned out of the English language. And there seem to be loads of apologists for those who practice that in philosophy. You people create darkness wherever you settle. Do you ever get tired of choking free thought?

If there truly is a God, then I hope you all will get what you deserve, what you have fostered in the world, a medieval, gothic world of "sin" and punishment, of retribution and revenge.

Enjoy.
Theology has not place here IMO.
Rationalism requires that you search for answers. You should not come to the board with all your answers ready from an old book.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Peter Kropotkin wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:30 am and idiots like Age are part of the problems within philosophy....

Kropotkin
Thankfully not widely but it was a about time he decided to take a dump on a different Forum for a while.
Give us all a rest
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:35 am
Peter Kropotkin wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:30 am and idiots like Age are part of the problems within philosophy....

Kropotkin
As far as I am concerned, that is the best statement I have seen from you Kropotkin.

Age should be kicked off the forum IMO.
As far as I am concerned, that is the best statement I have seen from you Attofishpi

OR as he would put it.
AS far as I am CoNcErNeD that is the best StATEMENTI have seen from you ALLLLL

I, that is ME, SHOULD be kicked OFF THE forum IMO.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Peter Kropotkin wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:33 pm

Kropotkin
As far as I am concerned, that is the best statement I have seen from you Kropotkin.

K: I am not in favor of ''kicking'' Age off the forum... people should
have the right to say whatever they want, no matter how idiotic it might be,
but we should see Age as being a negative to philosophy...
Age brings nothing into this forum or into philosophy at large...mostly
because Age never actually says anything... just a random series of
questions that upon reflections, mean and say nothing....
I don't mind questions but at least ask intelligent questions..
and Age does not do that...

Kropotkin
He has nothing to say. All he does is to try to pick at other's words, without adding anything. And never saying anything noew; contributing nothing.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:25 pm Rationalism requires that you search for answers. You should not come to the board with all your answers ready from an old book.
Well said. Philosophy for me is more of a 'living philosophy', open to evolving and exploring the ever-changing and ever-present human world and expanding awareness.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:31 am

Do 'you' HAVE A FEAR OF, what is wrongly-called, 'DEATH', "gary childress"?
I have dread of death whenever I think seriously about it. Death is the great unknown. Or perhaps it could be called the "the great unknow". It seems reasonable to speculate that death is the end of knowing. No human being has experienced permanent loss of their entire body (that anyone is aware of). A scarce few have experienced 'clinical death'. Their body didn't decay so perhaps they simply picked up where they left off.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:31 pm
Sculptor wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:25 pm Rationalism requires that you search for answers. You should not come to the board with all your answers ready from an old book.
Well said. Philosophy for me is more of a 'living philosophy', open to evolving and exploring the ever-changing and ever-present human world and expanding awareness.
That is well put. The vastness of being is devoured by the belief that we live in some sort of divine dictatorship where we are spoonfed answers to unknowable things by a caste of priests with their own frailties and weaknesses. Life becomes a dungeon of suffocating conformity and grooming.

I may not have all the answers but I have intellectual honesty if that means anything.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Janoah wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:37 am
Gary Childress wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:09 pm Philosophy used to be interesting and a breath of fresh air. Now it seems to be dominated by theists
Philosophy as a science, Gary, began with Aristotle, and Arstotle, oddly enough, was a real theist, so what should we, atheists, do now?
I suggest throwing out Aristotle! and instead of him, who will we install, Gary? Maybe Mao Zedong, he was a cool guy, and didn’t suffer from theism, and I’ll tell you a secret, he wasn’t even a Jew!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MmkvPaH6bs
Aristotle didn't have all the answers either. So as far as I'm concerned, I treat him with a healthy degree of skepticism. That's the beauty of a truly open philosophical education. If you think we ought to worship him as some kind of oracle, then have at it. I don't recommend it.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:45 pm

I have dread of death whenever I think seriously about it. Death is the great unknown. Or perhaps it could be called the "the great unknow". It seems reasonable to speculate that death is the end of knowing. No human being has experienced permanent loss of their entire body (that anyone is aware of). A scarce few have experienced 'clinical death'. Their body didn't decay so perhaps they simply picked up where they left off.
Gary, you really should stop derailing threads. Clearly whomever created this thread was talking about Age's PHN Forum lights going out. :o
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:24 pm

Gary, you really should stop derailing threads. Clearly whomever created this thread was talking about Age's PHN Forum lights going out. :o
I'm skeptical that the OP has everything worked out. I'm sure he won't mind the derailment.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:53 pm
attofishpi wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:24 pm

I'm skeptical that the OP has everything worked out. I'm sure he won't mind the derailment.
It might soothe your existential crisis (in Veritas words) that none of us have anything worked out..

Post by Age »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:08 pm
attofishpi wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:27 am when people create a thread allow them to add username(s) of people that would be blocked from participating in the thread - at least two usernames perhaps.
I like this idea because the forum is otherwise unmoderated, and this could help prevent topics from being ruined/overrun by someone's relentless, pestering nonsense. I think most people would use such a feature sparingly.
And, 'this' WOULD HELP IN REDUCING 'FREEDOM OF SPEECH', which then COULD ALLOW and HELP one's OWN DISTORTED NONSENSE FROM NOT BEING BROUGHT-TO-LIGHT, AS WELL.

BUT, HOPEFULLY, 'this' IS MADE POSSIBLE here. 'This' COULD SHINE A WHOLE NEW LIGHT or NEW PERSPECTIVE ON 'things' here.
Lacewing wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:08 pm
Age wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:39 am
attofishpi wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:27 am That seems fair, the idiots can splurge elsewhere, just not in your own thread if you decide.
Well 'this' is ANOTHER WAY of NOT ALLOWING "others" TO SHOW and REVEAL the Falsehoods, and/or Wrongness, in one's OWN WRITINGS, CLAIMS, and/or BELIEFS.
The falsehood and/or wrongness here is that Age thinks that HE is revealing falsehoods and/or wrongness... when he is actually the one wrongly assuming and misinterpreting the meanings and intent of what people say.
So, IF 'this' WAS ACTUALLY True, then WHY NOT JUST HIGHLIGHT and POINT OUT MY ALLEGED and SUPPOSED WRONG ASSUMPTIONS and MISINTERPRETING OF the MEANINGS and OF the INTENT OF 'what' 'you', people, SAY here?

BETTER STILL if being able to BLOCK usernames FROM MY POSTS becomes available, I COULD THEN JUST BLOCK 'those' who STARTED DOING such 'things'.

Which COULD COME IN VERY HANDY, as some might say, IN REGARDS TO 'me' CONTINUING ON WITH MY PURPORTED WRONG ASSUMING and MISINTERPRETING OF 'you', posters, here.

I COULD, literally, SAY and WRITE ABSOLUTELY ANY 'thing' ABOUT 'you', posters, here, AND THEN JUST BLOCK 'those ones' FROM CORRECTING 'me', and/or FROM HIGHLIGHTING and POINTING OUT 'my' WRONGNESS, CONTRADICTIONS, and/or INCONSISTENCIES. Which, I KNOW, IS A GREAT IDEA TO SOME OF 'you', AND A POWER THAT SOME OF 'you' WOULD LOVE TO HAVE and TO WIELD here.
Lacewing wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:08 pm This is why most people end up ignoring him for the most part. He falsely and wrongly concludes he is ignored because he is showing and revealing things that people don't want to address, rather than realizing that few people care to take/waste the time to correct his volumes of misunderstandings and nonsense about what they've said.
HOW ABOUT ANY one OF 'you' JUST START WITH ONE 'thing' FIRST?

Or, are 'you' REALLY ALL TOO SCARED TO JUST START WITH ONE 'thing' ONLY?
Lacewing wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:08 pm Also off-putting is his approach of addressing/saying 'you adult humans' which is absurdly disconnected and disassociated for a discussion forum.
NOT IF one WAS A child, OBVIOUSLY.

Also, 'this' here IS ANOTHER PRIME example of just HOW MUCH adult human beings, in the days when this is being written, ABSOLUTELY FEARED BEING LOOKED and JUDGED. Which, THE FEAR, WAS and IS A DIRECT RESULT OF, and COMES FROM, KNOWING, DEEP WITHIN, 'THE ACTUAL WAY' that 'they' EACH, INDIVIDUALLY, LOOK AT and JUDGE "the other/s".

If 'they' "each" were NOT SO CRITICAL and JUDGING, in their OWN JUDGMENTS, then 'they' WOULD NOT BE SO FEARFUL OF BEING LOOKED AT and JUDGED "themselves".

ALSO, BECAUSE 'they' do NOT YET KNOW HOW nor WHY 'they' ARE 'the way' that 'they', REALLY, ARE, 'they' thus have NOT YET GAINED the True UNDERSTANDING OF "themselves/each other", which IS what IS Truly and OBVIOUSLY NEEDED in order to NOT BE SO CRITICAL and SO Wrongly JUDGMENTAL OF "each other".
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:28 pm

Kropotkin

Sometimes you appear to follow in the footsteps of a pure genius. 8)

Post by Age »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:25 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:09 pm Philosophy used to be interesting and a breath of fresh air. Now it seems to be dominated by theists who slip in every form of fallacious premise that can be coned out of the English language. And there seem to be loads of apologists for those who practice that in philosophy. You people create darkness wherever you settle. Do you ever get tired of choking free thought?

If there truly is a God, then I hope you all will get what you deserve, what you have fostered in the world, a medieval, gothic world of "sin" and punishment, of retribution and revenge.

Enjoy.
Theology has not place here IMO.
WHERE IS 'here', EXACTLY, "sculptor"?

Also, what can be CLEARLY SEEN here is ANOTHER PRIME example, and CASE OF, 'ONLY what 'i' think or BELIEVE is true, SHOULD BE LOOKED AT and TALKED ABOUT'.
Sculptor wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:25 pm Rationalism requires that you search for answers.
Which IS EXACTLY what just about NEVER HAPPENS IN 'this forum', NOR even in the days when this is being written. As just ABOUT ALWAYS ALL of 'you', adult human beings, JUST WANT TO EXPRESS and SHARE what 'you', individually, think or BELIEVE IS TRUE, INSTEAD, and ALONE. [/quote]

Just LOOK AT the quoted remark and comment before this reply is to.
Sculptor wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:25 pm You should not come to the board with all your answers ready from an old book.
BUT coming to 'this forum' WITH 'your, ALLEGED, 'humble' opinions' IS PERFECTLY FINE, right "sculptor"?

AND LET 'us' NOT FORGET that 'your' so-called 'humble opinions' ARE just 'your answers/Assumptions ready from 'your' OLD Past Experiences, ALONE.