Let's make philosophy fun.

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Harbal

Re: Let's make philosophy fun.

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:26 pm
Harbal wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:48 pm
Walker wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:38 pm Humorous self-deprication done right is fun and funny. Give it a try.

Example:

Fig Newton Detritis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qa-B7Sg_i4
Not even slightly amusing, Walker; in fact, it was just irritating.
Ah, irritating. The Harbal forte. Join us in the performance and conceptual elucidation of fun, funny, and irritating, Harbal.

Although the Harbal Style of funny is snark rather than the whacky demonstration by the comedian who is under the stereotypical turned-up British nose, at the point where Harbal wandered in the subject was self-deprecation, and the comedian’s Newton-bit was an example of self-deprecation.

- In that vein, funny isn’t necessarily an example of fun … so in this instance Harbal is twice removed from the relevance of that particular dialogue-offshoot. That’s okay. Harbal blesses us with the excellence of Harbally-shaped snark offerings, and Harbal inspires us to go forth and do likewise.

- Self-deprecation: “tending or serving to disparage or undervalue oneself.”

Fun, but funny-killing relevance of the definition: Pointing at one’s personal gluttony, like the comedian did with his funny Newton catcher, fits the parameters of self-deprecation. On the other hand ...

Snark focuses on Other-Deprecation, that is, the put-down.

When inspired by Harbal Snark, Walker can feel that movement which funnily, sometimes correlates with physiological, after-coffee movements. For example, Walker figures the underlining will assist in temporarily assuaging Harbal’s oft' professed comprehension deficiency.

The Newton-catcher comedian specializes in Self-Deprecation, but of course that can’t be his whole act. Like a one-trick snark pony, that could become tedious (hint).

The Newton-catcher comedian does occasionally professes with a sartorical academic style not unlike my go-to accentuation of both snark, and fun.

Are you feeling the fun?

:lol:
I can't comment on any of that, Walker, because I didn't understand a word of it. But, getting back to your so called comedian: Making loud, silly noises and performing exaggerated body movements might appeal to a child's sense of humour and, indeed, yours, but for those of us who have developed a more sophisticated sense of humour as we have gone into adulthood, it just comes across as embarrassing. :oops:
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:43 pm
Self-deprecating ... Americans have both the confidence and the luxury to wallow in self-deprecation, laughing at one's own jokes and such. It's a social lubricant than can work to advantage when not too cynical, and noticing this isn't too cynical.
I don't know if Americans are the masters of self deprecation, but if they are, it's only because so many of you have an unfair advantage.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Harbal wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:11 pm I can't comment on any of that, Walker, because I didn't understand a word of it.
Well, the underlining was worth a try.
Walker

Post by Walker »

The link is an example of Nordic-Animism-Deprecation that completes the trifecta of fun and funny. But, they don’t say that in the title, for obvious reasons. However, it is a winning mouse-click formula.

But, what does the horse say?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jofNR_WkoCE
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Harbal wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:10 pm Philosophy already is fun. If you want to do the world a real service, find a way to make religion fun. 🙂
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Walker

Post by Walker »

Penguins.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Hello, and good evening ladies and gentlemen. I am honored to be with you this evening to announce that the winner of this years Berggruen Prize goes to....Drum roll....🥁 .... Mr Percy Via. 🎓 👏👏👏👏
Walker

Post by Walker »

“Oh, I get it. That’s very clever. (Thank you.) How’s that workin’ out for you? (What?) Being clever. (Great.) Keep it up then."
- Fight Club
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Today, I thought-up a more fitting cute name for (God)
That weird ''thing·ama·bob'' entity that lives rent-free inside your brain.

Mr Percy Cute < cute or what? 🥺

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Hey fun lovers, today I thought to myself...Let's make philosophy really super fun by keeping the poster AGE on this forum indefinitely. Let's not crush the poor persons soul like a banana in a blender like that intolerant fish often does.

Life would just be a dull, boring AGE-less place without AGE 👍🤣
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:04 pm Hey fun lovers, today I thought to myself...Let's make philosophy really super fun by keeping the poster AGE on this forum indefinitely. Let's not crush the poor persons soul like a banana in a blender like that intolerant fish often does.

I agree; the place just wouldn't be the same without him. 🙂
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Harbal wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:17 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:04 pm Hey fun lovers, today I thought to myself...Let's make philosophy really super fun by keeping the poster AGE on this forum indefinitely. Let's not crush the poor persons soul like a banana in a blender like that intolerant fish often does.

I agree; the place just wouldn't be the same without him. 🙂
👍
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

DONT MAKE ME GO CAPSLOCK ON YOU 😱

JUST BECAUSE IT IS THE AGE OF CAPSLOCK TECHNOLOGY

HA HA HA HA

LOL LOL LOL

HO HO HO

HEHEHEHE