Moderators: AMod, iMod

nemos

Re: What is truth?

Post by nemos »

Truth is the criterion for evaluating a statement:
- The Earth is spherical - T
- The Earth is cylindrical - F
- I have 6 fingers - T or F ? :roll: <- Lack of binary logic

There is also trinary logic, with three states -1(F),0(I don't know, maybe),1(T) respectively.
Trajk Logik

Post by Trajk Logik »

Zarathustra wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:58 pm What if the empirical fact to test the proposition was an illusion?
Which is the priority, the fact, or proposition?
We can be wrong about what we state is true. Truth is independent of anything we might claim. Truth is simply what is the case which can be independent of our own thoughts and perceptions.

Now if we preceded every statement with, "I believe", then we would be talking about our beliefs and not what is the case independent of our thoughts and perceptions, and in that sense everything we claim would be true because we know what we believe. We just don't know if what we believe matches up with what is the case.

Isn't it true that humans believe things?
Trajk Logik

Post by Trajk Logik »

nemos wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:49 am Truth is the criterion for evaluating a statement:
- The Earth is spherical - T
- The Earth is cylindrical - F
- I have 6 fingers - T or F ? :roll: <- Lack of binary logic

There is also trinary logic, with three states -1(F),0(I don't know, maybe),1(T) respectively.
What makes the scribbles, "The Earth is spherical" true? What makes any string of scribbles true or false?

If we found an alien book written in an alien language, what would make the scribbles in the book true or false?
nemos

Post by nemos »

It is impossible to answer a question that has not been asked. Nor is it possible to speak the truth before a statement has been made. But I'm not going to prove it, so we can leave it at that, it won't change the world order.

The sphericity of the Earth is certainly debatable, I believe that from your point of view it could also look flat.
Trajk Logik

Post by Trajk Logik »

nemos wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:39 pm It is impossible to answer a question that has not been asked. Nor is it possible to speak the truth before a statement has been made. But I'm not going to prove it, so we can leave it at that, it won't change the world order.
In other words, you like to talk shit but won't back it up. Got it.
nemos wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:39 pm The sphericity of the Earth is certainly debatable, I believe that from your point of view it could also look flat.
So views, not just statements, can be true or false?

What is the purpose of making a statement at all?
nemos

Post by nemos »

Trajk Logik wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:40 pm ... you like to talk shit ...
But you seem to like talking about them. :wink:
Trajk Logik

Post by Trajk Logik »

nemos wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:29 am
Trajk Logik wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:40 pm ... you like to talk shit ...
But you seem to like talking about them. :wink:
I'm not interested in people who wish to proselytize to others and expect their statements to not be questioned or defended.