Acting

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

accelafine

Acting

Post by accelafine »

Just watched the first part of season 6 of 'The Crown'. What struck me the most was how divine English actors are. How do they do it? Even the best American actors are ridiculous hams by comparison.
Walker

Re: Acting

Post by Walker »

accelafine wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:21 pm Just watched the first part of season 6 of 'The Crown'. What struck me the most was how divine English actors are. How do they do it? Even the best American actors are ridiculous hams by comparison.
Haven't seen it, but you're right about English acting. A good actor can play the part of a bad actor while in character. The best actors can show gentle humour within drama.

I read an interesting comment about Gary Cooper (American) long ago. Other actors would ham it up and think they had the attention of the scene, but when they watched the "dailies," everyone's eyes were on Gary Cooper. He did things so subtle that the hams missed it in real time, but the camera saw those things and magnified them.

Many of those early hams from Cooper's era were from stage acting where projection, hyperbole, is required to reach the back seats. Film is more subtle, obviously. The intelligent adapt.

Hyperbole is also required in writing to convey reality, since writing is a filter removed from reality. Hemingway pointed out (in effect) that making the reader feel an emotion is more effective than telling what emotion the character felt.
Walker

Re: Acting

Post by Walker »

This scene by the Coen Brothers shows actors depicting early film-acting in America.

Devil on the Canvas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVYo2Opzt5U
“I will destroy him!”

All things considered, the scene has transcended time limitations to find relevance with current events.