Freedom?

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

RWStanding

Freedom?

Post by RWStanding »

Freedom
Freedom is a moral value that must apply to human beings from a positive to a negative way. But human beings are not perambulating plates of meat. Humanity must be defined by values. Therefore freedom relates to other values, in a positive or negative way. Overall values are neutral. There is only ‘right’ and ‘wrong’ in relation to each category of society – as community or state - that is thereby defined. Pragmatism is one of the essential values. Naturally a number of values stand together, without meaning the same thing. Such as freedom and equality, since absolute corporate freedom must signify equality. Although such absolutes are no doubt impossible – pragmatically.
Skepdick

Re: Freedom?

Post by Skepdick »

RWStanding wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:07 pm Freedom
Freedom is a moral value that must apply to human beings from a positive to a negative way. But human beings are not perambulating plates of meat. Humanity must be defined by values. Therefore freedom relates to other values, in a positive or negative way. Overall values are neutral. There is only ‘right’ and ‘wrong’ in relation to each category of society – as community or state - that is thereby defined. Pragmatism is one of the essential values. Naturally a number of values stand together, without meaning the same thing. Such as freedom and equality, since absolute corporate freedom must signify equality. Although such absolutes are no doubt impossible – pragmatically.
Worshiping "freedom", or any other magic word is a common pitfall for humans. The pitfall of symbolism - symbols mean whatever the hell you want them to mean.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbol

You say "freedom is..."
I say "freedom is..." something else.

Am I free to define; redefine or undefine freedom however I see fit?

Because If I am not allowed to do that then that's not freedom.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

RWStanding wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:07 pm Freedom
Freedom, being a relative descriptor, is not generally observed as an absolute, rather in various levels of combination with it's polar opposite, constraint. That is, levels of true examples of freedom are almost all in the spectrum between two poles of the absolutes, as in just about all cases of relative descriptors.

In addition relative descriptors need a second observation to compare itself to.
sensualteach

Post by sensualteach »

Freedom, being a relative descriptor, is not generally observed as an absolute, rather in various levels of combination with it's polar oppositegeometry dash subzero, constraint. That is, levels of true examples of freedom are almost all in the spectrum between two poles of the absolutes, as in just about all cases of relative descriptors.

In addition relative descriptors need a second observation to compare itself to.
I don't understand what the second observation is here? Do you mean adding a new method of observation?
Last edited by sensualteach on Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

sensualteach wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:05 am
Freedom, being a relative descriptor, is not generally observed as an absolute, rather in various levels of combination with it's polar opposite, constraint. That is, levels of true examples of freedom are almost all in the spectrum between two poles of the absolutes, as in just about all cases of relative descriptors.

I don't understand what the second observation is here? Do you mean adding a new method of observation?
Sorry for being difficult to understand. I meant if one observes X and puts it on the spectrum of freedom vs constraint, it helps one's understanding of the meaning of this placement score if other entities are also placed on the spectrum. In other words saying my freedom score is 7 is information, but saying my freedom score is 7 and among humans the average score is 6 is more informative.