to grok Nothing

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

Re: to grok Nothing

Post by Advocate »

>>Quite the opposite. It filters out anyone who's not serious about the Content.

>I'll leave it to others to point out why that isn't stricly true.

these are sufficient. their mark-up is not useful, only distracting.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Advocate wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:33 am There is no such thing as nothing.

In practical use the word always refers to a specific use-case. The only way there could be no-thing is of there were no minds.

The way somet-hing can come from no-thing is metaphorically, because things didn't exist before minds existed to distinguish them. It was just undifferentiated stuff.
well nothing and no-thing can be seen as two different concepts
nothing means that there isn't even undifferentiated stuff, no-thing means that there are no things, which you spoke about above
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Atla post_id=675919 time=1698474061 user_id=15497]
[quote=Advocate post_id=587299 time=1659321189 user_id=15238]
There is no such thing as nothing.

In practical use the word always refers to a specific use-case. The only way there could be no-thing is of there were no minds.

The way somet-hing can come from no-thing is metaphorically, because things didn't exist before minds existed to distinguish them. It was just undifferentiated stuff.
[/quote]
well nothing and no-thing can be seen as two different concepts
nothing means that there isn't even undifferentiated stuff, no-thing means that there are no things, which you spoke about above
[/quote]

A thing is a pattern in a mind so no thing means no patterns in a mind while nothing would mean, by your dichotomy, no minds exist within which patterns can exist. They're functionality identical.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Advocate wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:11 pm A thing is a pattern in a mind so no thing means no patterns in a mind while nothing would mean, by your dichotomy, no minds exist within which patterns can exist. They're functionality identical.
Well nondualists like me have totally done away with thinking in terms of "things". I have to force myself all the time to create the illusion that I still do that. But that's not nothing at all.