For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

Re: No-isms

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Atla post_id=673348 time=1697428072 user_id=15497]
[quote=Advocate post_id=673302 time=1697407576 user_id=15238]
[quote=Atla post_id=673261 time=1697393659 user_id=15497]

Well I was talking about the problem of consciousness, I haven't seen you solve it yet. Or maybe you have, just didn't explicitly say it.
Your individual self is what you are individually, it's a psychological thing in a human head. But where is this individual self happening as a first person perspective experience, who or what is having this first person perspective experience? The answer to this probably lies in nondual philosophy. Absolutely vital to any philosophy that claims to be among the best.
[/quote]

It's an emergent attribute of cognitive complexity, but there's no technically correct or specific definition yet. Global Workspace Theory is probably closest, but whatever it ends up being probably won't be much like what's understood today. Remember, neuroscience is only a few decades old.
[/quote]
That's still the individual mind/self, you don't see the other issue, which is also central to philosophy. Well I guess it's not necessary for the instrumentalist skeleton of philosophy that you're working on.
[/quote]

Self is the internal story we tell about how we fit into the world and society. Mind is a metaphor for the patterns in the brain. If you try to integrate all the stuff you'll end up where academic philosophy is - nowhere.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Advocate wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:09 am Self is the internal story we tell about how we fit into the world and society. Mind is a metaphor for the patterns in the brain. If you try to integrate all the stuff you'll end up where academic philosophy is - nowhere.
Again, that's still just the individual self/brain/mind. That's probably only half of the problem of consciousness.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Atla post_id=673412 time=1697464477 user_id=15497]
[quote=Advocate post_id=673351 time=1697432969 user_id=15238]
Self is the internal story we tell about how we fit into the world and society. Mind is a metaphor for the patterns in the brain. If you try to integrate all the stuff you'll end up where academic philosophy is - nowhere.
[/quote]
Again, that's still just the individual self/brain/mind. That's probably only half of the problem of consciousness.
[/quote]

The only problem of consciousness is the mind/body problem, which i've answered conclusively. Beyond that is science, not philosophy, and as we've only had proper science for a few generations and neuroscience for a small part of that, there's no reason to believe they could or should have gotten further than we are now.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Advocate wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:59 pm
Atla wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:54 pm
Advocate wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:09 am Self is the internal story we tell about how we fit into the world and society. Mind is a metaphor for the patterns in the brain. If you try to integrate all the stuff you'll end up where academic philosophy is - nowhere.
The only problem of consciousness is the mind/body problem, which i've answered conclusively. Beyond that is science, not philosophy, and as we've only had proper science for a few generations and neuroscience for a small part of that, there's no reason to believe they could or should have gotten further than we are now.
The mind/body problem is again, the individual self/brain/mind issue, which is probably only half of the problem of consciousness. Always been.